TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

Goliath season 3 is solid. Season 2 got a little bizarre and the first episode of 3 started great then they kind of went that bizarre route again forbthe last 15 minutes , but straightened out after that. I’m digging the season. Season 1 is still the gold standard and billy bob is fantastic

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
There are a lot of excellent British dramas. Masterpiece debuted a new one last night on PBS. It's entitled "Press" and the first 2 episodes were shown last night. I'm halfway through the first hour and already totally drawn in. It's described as "a drama about two U.K. newspapers." Thus far, they've touched on a couple of issues near and dear to my heart because of my experiences in journalism and the press. I think this is gonna be a keeper.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It's that time again!

It's November 1st, which means it's time for the first official rankings for Mr. Slim's personal Top 10 shows of the 2019-20 season. Since I don't recognize the summer as a separate TV season, I consider the 2019-20 television season to have started on July 1, 2019. Only shows whose first episode of the season aired on or after July 1st are eligible for this ranking.

And, again, this ranking is for regular TV/cable, only. No streaming-exclusive shows are allowed, for the purposes of this list:

1. S.W.A.T. (N/A)
  2. Stumptown (N/A)
  3. Killjoys (N/A)
  4. WWE NXT (N/A)
  5. The Good Place (N/A)
  6. Arrow (N/A)
  7. Supergirl (N/A)
  8. The Flash (N/A)
  9. Batwoman (N/A)
  10. This is Us (N/A)

* - excludes streaming-exclusive shows

(NR) - Not Previously Ranked
Ranking increase noted in
blue
Ranking decrease noted in red

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Disney +
Love all the content...talk about nostalgia. Just watched the 1st episode of The Mandalorian. So far so good. Next episode drops today.
I just watched the first 3 episodes and I'm hoping it gets a bit better. The pacing is a bit too slow and the story simplistic. I'm enjoying the Star Wars "world", but I'm hoping this starts getting a bit more interesting.

I just watched the first 3 episodes and I'm hoping it gets a bit better. The pacing is a bit too slow and the story simplistic. I'm enjoying the Star Wars "world", but I'm hoping this starts getting a bit more interesting.
ah man bummer you are not really digging it. We are loving it, but I get what you are saying. On a related note, taking the kids and their cousins to Disneyland in 2 weeks, pretty pumped about Star Wars land. Also have a bar scouted out for the Niner/Saint game that Sunday morning lol

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Caught up to the end of season 3 of The Expanse. While season 2 was a bit up and down, season 3 definitely gets moving in the right direction again. Season 4 drops in a couple weeks. Yay!

Watching the Runaways season 1 on Disney+ and it seems to be geared toward the younger/90210 crowd a bit so far (with teenagery angst and SoCal vibe, not my thing), but about halfway through the season it's picking up a bit as far as the story. It has dragged and could have been a couple episodes shorter without sacrificing anything.

Want to start watching Jack Ryan season 2 at some point, but was getting caught up on Flash, Black Lightning, Supergirl, and Batwoman, all of which have been decent/good, but Supergirl and Batwoman have been a little more hit and miss at times.

Still haven't gotten back to Man in the High Castle, but need to at some point.

Last edited:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Mystery Science Theater 3000 - featuring ridiculously bad sci-fi movies and incredibly dumb commentary by one guy and two robots. Nothing else needs to be said.
I knew there was a reason I liked you. I just never figured it out until now!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Here are my updated rankings for Mr. Slim's personal Top 10 shows of the 2019-20 season*, as of December 3, 2019:

1. Watchmen (NR)
  2. S.W.A.T. (-1)
  3. Stumptown (-1)
  4. Arrow (+2)
  5. Killjoys (-2)
  6. WWE NXT (-2)
  7. Supergirl (-)
  8. The Good Place (-3)
  9. The Flash (-1)
  10. Batwoman (-1)

Falling out of the Top Ten: This is Us (-1)

blue

dude12

Hall of Famer
New 65” smart tv, upgraded wifi, and taking advantage of the Disney Plus promo getting Hulu and ESPN plus Adding to Netflix. It’s cool as the wife and I have watched several series together....she’s hooked on bingeI gotta.

Lost in Space ...season 2 opened Christmas Eve.....binged it. Really like the show, Parker Posey as “Dr Smith” is a hoot. Can’t wait for season 3

The Mandelorian. I do like this. Slick. Baby Yoda is cute as heck.

Watching Castle Rock....JJ Abrams show I believe. In episode S1 E6. A little slow but with intrigue. I’m a big Stephen King fan, so I’m going to stick with this.

Mindhunter......great series, highly recommend

Stranger Things....I watched seasons 1 and 2 a while ago so getting wife caught up, she’s hooked.

Ozark.....finishing this slowly but surely. I do like it

on my list to watch, Handmaids Tale, maybe The Witcher,

anything else anyone recommends?

New 65” smart tv, upgraded wifi, and taking advantage of the Disney Plus promo getting Hulu and ESPN plus Adding to Netflix. It’s cool as the wife and I have watched several series together....she’s hooked on bingeI gotta.

Lost in Space ...season 2 opened Christmas Eve.....binged it. Really like the show, Parker Posey as “Dr Smith” is a hoot. Can’t wait for season 3

The Mandelorian. I do like this. Slick. Baby Yoda is cute as heck.

Watching Castle Rock....JJ Abrams show I believe. In episode S1 E6. A little slow but with intrigue. I’m a big Stephen King fan, so I’m going to stick with this.

Mindhunter......great series, highly recommend

Stranger Things....I watched seasons 1 and 2 a while ago so getting wife caught up, she’s hooked.

Ozark.....finishing this slowly but surely. I do like it

on my list to watch, Handmaids Tale, maybe The Witcher,

anything else anyone recommends?
You have a lot of good stuff here.
The Fargo series is great. Looks like they are doing a season 4 with chris rock and Jason schwartzman
Goliath is also great

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
My DirecTV screen-saver just showed an 'ad' for the upcoming season of Doctor Who. It appears as though Jodie Whitaker is still playing the Doctor: should I take from that that her performance was well-received enough, once all the whinging died down?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
My DirecTV screen-saver just showed an 'ad' for the upcoming season of Doctor Who. It appears as though Jodie Whitaker is still playing the Doctor: should I take from that that her performance was well-received enough, once all the whinging died down?
I had no problems with her performance in any way. I was not real happy with some of the writing - not because of the topics but because it seemed to me they were trying to hard to be relevant. I watched the premiere episode of the new season tonight and was truly pleased. It seems as though they may have regained their senses to some extent.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I had no problems with her performance in any way. I was not real happy with some of the writing - not because of the topics but because it seemed to me they were trying to hard to be relevant. I watched the premiere episode of the new season tonight and was truly pleased. It seems as though they may have regained their senses to some extent.
This certainly was the most "Doctor Who"-ey episode since the new regime took over. That said, I kinda wish that they'd have left that character on the shelf a little bit longer than they did, especially since most of Capaldi's tenure as the doctor revolved around said relationship and the particular way they revealed said character has been done twice since the show's revival in 2005 to much greater effect.

Last edited:
I rewatched I Think You Should Leave on Netflix over the course of two dental visits - it was good for someone gassed up and full of anxiety in it's uncomfortably off-putting brand of humor. Also a few episodes while on holiday, which was amusing because my brother thought it was funny as hell but his wife and mom-in-law walked out and so he had to pretend to be disgusted too.

I had binged it when it first came out and thought it was hilarious and it was showing up in quite a few end-of-year articles. It is definitely not for everyone though.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Caught up to the end of season 3 of The Expanse. While season 2 was a bit up and down, season 3 definitely gets moving in the right direction again. Season 4 drops in a couple weeks. Yay!

Watching the Runaways season 1 on Disney+ and it seems to be geared toward the younger/90210 crowd a bit so far (with teenagery angst and SoCal vibe, not my thing), but about halfway through the season it's picking up a bit as far as the story. It has dragged and could have been a couple episodes shorter without sacrificing anything.

Want to start watching Jack Ryan season 2 at some point, but was getting caught up on Flash, Black Lightning, Supergirl, and Batwoman, all of which have been decent/good, but Supergirl and Batwoman have been a little more hit and miss at times.

Still haven't gotten back to Man in the High Castle, but need to at some point.
Finished up season 4 of The Expanse and really like where it is going. Now to wait for the next season...

Just started season 2 of Jack Ryan this morning. A couple of episodes in and it looks like it might be as good as season 1.

Man in the High Castle is still waiting in the wings, but the next few weeks look pretty busy so I'm not sure how quickly I'll get to it with other stuff on queue as well.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The whole "Gallifrey is destroyed and all the timelords are dead now but they were all evil jerks so maybe that's alright" thing would have been far more interesting if the same exact concept hadn't been the overarching plot of the past 15 years of the show and if they're really going to bring back timelord mythology then bring back Romana you cowards.

Overall though, this first two hour block was a solid Doctor Who adventure and I'm looking forward to seeing where they go from here this season.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
It's late, but here are my updated rankings for Mr. Slim's personal Top 10 shows of the 2019-20 season*, as of January 5, 2020:

1. Watchmen (-)
  2. S.W.A.T. (-)
  3. Stumptown (-)
  4. Arrow (-)
  5. WWE NXT (+1)
  6. Killjoys (-1)
  7. Supergirl (-)
  8. The Good Place (-)
  9. The Flash (-)
  10. Batwoman (-)

Falling out of the Top Ten: N/A

blue

Not enough new episodes of any shows in December to impact the rankings, except for NXT.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The whole "Gallifrey is destroyed and all the timelords are dead now but they were all evil jerks so maybe that's alright" thing would have been far more interesting if the same exact concept hadn't been the overarching plot of the past 15 years of the show and if they're really going to bring back timelord mythology then bring back Romana you cowards.

Overall though, this first two hour block was a solid Doctor Who adventure and I'm looking forward to seeing where they go from here this season.
If they're going to bring people back, I want River to return. ;)

I am a lot happier thus far than I was last year. I haven't found myself getting up and walking into the kitchen, which is a significant indication that I'm not that invested in a program. I did like the actor who portrayed our old nemesis. He had that sinister touch of charming evil that I always found endearing.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Yo, somebody explain to me why they bring Karri Turner back to the JAG/NCIS-verse, just to play somebody that's not Harriet Sims? This isn't as egregious as when they brought back Zoe McClellan to not be Jennifer Coates, but it's up there!

dude12

Hall of Famer
Tried watching The Witcher on Netflix. 2 episodes in and I can’t get traction on it.

watching You on Netflix......has my attention, not great but solid

Watched the first 2 episodes of The Outsider on HBO Sunday. I read the Stephen King book and it’s outstanding. The show is really good. Highly recommend it. Jason Bateman is directing I believe. Ben Mendelson is superb. Has a good intensity about it. The style reminds me a little of True Detective.