[Game] Kings v. Blazers 10/25/19 7PM PT/10PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You hope! haha. We saw flashes but this team shouldn't be this disjointed to start the year on defense if that's what they've been working on. I mean, the offense being a step behind is excusable but c'mon now.
Maybe a weeklong road trip with 22 hour plane trips to satisfy Vivek's desire to bring basketball to India aren't a good idea when you're a young team installing a new system.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
At the same time, the Blazers were projected to be a dark horse candidate to win the west this season so this defeat at least makes some sense.

I really hope I’m wrong, and yes I realize it’s only 2 games, but I’m a little worried we’ve hitched our wagon to the wrong coach. nothing about the way our offense, defense, rotations, or in-game adjustments look fills me with confidence. i really hope I’m wrong. And hopefully it’s just India trip hangover.
I share your concern. At no point in these first two games have I said, "Thank goodness we let Jager go." Hopefully Luke proves himself over the course of the season, but right now? ...What an embarrassment.

Positives

Fox getting to the hoop at will. Getting to the line and making a good percentage of them.

Bogdan played well

It’s quite clear what the problem is. Kings aren’t scoring at the clip they were last season through the first two games but they are still giving up points at the same clip. They are also turning it over a lot which wasn’t a problem last season.

I’m also getting alarmed about Dedmon. He’s looked terrible. Even if Bagley and Giles were healthy, we have a lot riding on Dedmon being serviceable.

I don’t like the body language of the team. It’s just not the right mix. Ariza and Dedmon are total duds. I don’t blame the FO—both signings made sense on paper. They just can’t play with these guys. We need an east coast swing to boost our confidence.
Dedmon is either being totally misused or he's going against the directive here. I don't know what the issue is, it seems like every year a player is signed that makes some sense and is completely used bass ackwards.

I don’t like the body language of the team. It’s just not the right mix. Ariza and Dedmon are total duds. I don’t blame the FO—both signings made sense on paper. They just can’t play with these guys. We need an east coast swing to boost our confidence.
I agree the body language is all bad. There was all kinds of structure and accountability the last few seasons from the coaching staff. It appears that the players have been given a long leash to go out and play ball on their own and they're not handling it well. Walton may need to reel them in a bit and give some direction. Use some timeouts to control the flow of the game, because the players aren't self correcting.

I agree the body language is all bad. There was all kinds of structure and accountability the last few seasons from the coaching staff. It appears that the players have been given a long leash to go out and play ball on their own and they're not handling it well. Walton may need to reel them in a bit and give some direction. Use some timeouts to control the flow of the game, because the players aren't self correcting.
In all fairness, that coaching staff had years to build an identity. Walton is in a tough spot because the expectation is he has to build one immediately. The most encouraging thing I've seen is his willingness to adapt. That's a good sign that this can be figured out. It's the banging your head against the same wall expecting it to move we saw the last few years that unbearable.

I’m not worried about Walton yet. The 5 spot is a sucking chest wound right now. No way should 10 fouls get burned guarding Whiteside and Collins. That is awful. Holmes, at least, had some hustle fouls. Dedmon is just awful. I mean, I’d rather have WCS back than this. WCS at least scared guys with his athleticism—if he cared that game.

Walton’s calling card has been defense—that will get better. Buddy needs to be given the Peja role—just face guard the guy you don’t want shooting off the catch, and everyone else play defense around him. Everytime Buddy tries to play team principles he gets smoked back door. He’s strong to fight through screens and can run all day, just have the man face guard shooters and simplify things.

Its
In an annual Kings tradition, all of our free agent signings immediate forget how to play basketball once the season starts
its the strangest thing. I think we can turn this around though

i really wanna give them a pass for new coaching, a new system and new players but it’s hard. I’m starting to think we made a mistake screwing up all of our continuity by making yet another coaching change

Ariza falls in the category of decent to good before they got here. Others include cutino Mobley, JJ hickson, Marcus Thornton, and george Hill.
Cat was pretty good for the Kings. Especially for a done and dusted Christie. I still think Thornton never got a real shot either. Ariza looks like he stole Viveks money right now. For real.

I’m not worried about Walton yet. The 5 spot is a sucking chest wound right now. No way should 10 fouls get burned guarding Whiteside and Collins. That is awful. Holmes, at least, had some hustle fouls. Dedmon is just awful. I mean, I’d rather have WCS back than this. WCS at least scared guys with his athleticism—if he cared that game.

Walton’s calling card has been defense—that will get better. Buddy needs to be given the Peja role—just face guard the guy you don’t want shooting off the catch, and everyone else play defense around him. Everytime Buddy tries to play team principles he gets smoked back door. He’s strong to fight through screens and can run all day, just have the man face guard shooters and simplify things.
If Buddy uses his strength more effectively to hold up a rolling big on a switch you can also switch. I'm seeing a team that is relying too heavily on team defense. The league might've become a mandatory switch league if they keep calling things this way.

By the all star break dedmon will be our 4th or 5th big
Are we not utilizing him correctly? I haven’t watched, so i know I’m missing something

they really need to figure something out and he also needs to look for his own shot more as well. He should know his role

I'm sorry to say this folks, but based on what I'm seeing, this is a 30 win team...

Dedmon has played like a ded mon.
Ariza... wow, just retire already.

No true superstar. Fox would be if he had a dead on 3pt shot tho. Buddy would be if he had handles.

Team looks slower and less athletic overall.
As bad as Willie was, he was at least a lob target. We have none now.

Holmes, for all the good he can do, is a foul machine.

I'm still on the fence concerning coaching. I'll give it a few more games to see if that changes. As of now, the pace which was the calling card seems to have dissapeared.

Having no true starting caliber center is going to hurt badly. Unless there's a trade for one, I don't see us winning more than 30, sadly.

This team is predominantly made up of expensive role players playing some sort of discombobulated roles which seem so undefined right now. It seems as if all the positives of the core 4 are just being shat on by whatever we're trying to run.

Someone plz correct me if I'm wrong. I really hope I'm wrong...

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It was Fox and a whole lot of nothing. With Bagley and Giles out it's not a good product and is destroying any hopes for playoffs. Lillard and McCollum decided to take a nap for the first half, set their alarm for the 3rd quarter, had their cuppa and away they went. You want to go inside to score, sure, we'll do that. You want to go outside, sure we'll do that too. Heads I win, tails you lose. Sure, the Kings played a lot better than against the Suns, but Walton has his work cut out for him with this bunch. Maybe after a dozen games or so they'll start to figure it out more on the defensive end, but by that time any playoff hopes will be over. The 2nd half of the season could be successful, but it is going to be working to the goal of playoffs for next season, imo.

On the positive side, I think Joseph and Holmes are going to help the Kings, especially when the Kings' team figures it out on the defensive side of the ball. Bogs played ok, which is good. They are going to need him for trade bait.

Giles needs to hurry back, too. I’m sorry

this overly cautious crap helps no one. If he’s gonna get hurt then he’s just gonna get hurt

we can’t control that, but u dont know until you freaking play

Are we not utilizing him correctly? I haven’t watched, so i know I’m missing something

they really need to figure something out and he also needs to look for his own shot more as well. He should know his role
Not at all. At the start of this game they did but I think he's questioning his spot up shot due to that misuse. In preseason and the first game they had him playing in the post off the ball and mostly rolling instead of popping on pick and roll. Then there has been a few times where the opposing team leaves him up top to get the ball and laughed while he attempted to run the offense in the high post. Another issue is the Kings are looking for way too much body movement from their spot shooters. Dedmon and Ariza aren't the types you want pulling up into shots, you want them spotting up.

Status
Not open for further replies.