Steven Adams?

I like KK but his best days are behind him. He is not really the guy you want on a running team. Adams would be a big step forward.
Agree. But I really like him, regardless. Think he's a good guy to have around the young guys. And when he gets minutes, you know he's going to give it his all. But I'm not sure he's past his prime as much as the game has changed and he isn't the athlete the NBA now demands.
Another thing that's always shadowed him is that he's clumsy with his hands. Less so when he's been getting regular minutes. But if you keep him around as a 12th man and call him in to play, he's likely to fumble the ball 2-3 times. But if he's playing regular minutes, his rhythm improves and he doesn't seem to fumble as much.

I think Kufous has good hands for a big man. He is still probably the best rebounder on the team. His defense is dependable. I just wish he could get up and down a little better and make a 12 foot jump shot.

I think Kufous has good hands for a big man. He is still probably the best rebounder on the team. His defense is dependable. I just wish he could get up and down a little better and make a 12 foot jump shot.
I'd love to see him stretch that push shot of his all the way to the 3-pt line! :cool:
But isn't this thread about whether we should try to acquire Steven Adams? If so, I like Adams, but I don't see him fitting in here. We need a Willie who is dedicated to being the teams's best defender (at least among the tall trees).

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It's sort of funny because in college he did have a jumpshot. Once in the NBA they asked him to do certain things, so he changed his offensive game. I thought he was a better offensive player in college, but obviously some coaches disagreed with me.. Hard to believe I know!

I'd love to see him stretch that push shot of his all the way to the 3-pt line! :cool:
But isn't this thread about whether we should try to acquire Steven Adams? If so, I like Adams, but I don't see him fitting in here. We need a Willie who is dedicated to being the teams's best defender (at least among the tall trees).
I don't see Willie being dedicated to anything related to basketball.

I would love Adams. He is a guy who knows his role, is a great screener and teammate, and just goes to work every night. No arguing, no messing about. Just a vet presence and professional through and through.

He would also be a much better rebounder statistically with us because there is no Westbrook to steal all his boards. I mean I really wonder if Russell pays him under the table in exchange for letting him get the ball.

Considering the age, toughness, interior defence and that contract, I would do it.

He is due a touch over $25m next season and some $27m the season after at which point you hope that Giles and Bagley are your front court for years to come.

He is basically going to earn the same money that Harrison Barnes was due to get next season before opting out. He doesn't need to be a 36 minute a game player for us.

I like the idea.

Just read that OKC is making him available (along with others) in order to free up salary cap space? Is the majority still thinking he's too much of an old school type center and not a good fit for us? Or have thoughts changed and why?

I maintain that his toughness, experience, and knowledge can be a huge asset for us.

Just read that OKC is making him available (along with others) in order to free up salary cap space? Is the majority still thinking he's too much of an old school type center and not a good fit for us? Or have thoughts changed and why?

I maintain that his toughness, experience, and knowledge can be a huge asset for us.
The screen and roll game w/ Fox or Bogie & Adams would really be something

Adams might actually be our smartest move of the off-season if we go down that path. Think about it, OKC want to shed salaries so you are going them a favor while addressing a need for yourself and might score a pick in the first round either straight up or upgrading our second for their first in the process to add a young talent to develop in the long run.

Re-sign Barnes and you still have some money left over for the back up PG or a SF.

Other than Vucevic (who is a different type of player), Steven Adams is currently a better player than any other C in free agency. He knows what he can and can't do so he won't be like WCS looking to be something he is not. Adams will rim run, set great screens, rebound, defend the paint and get his points of scraps. A hardened young veteran body with deep play off experience at a reasonable contract that does not commit you to huge long term money.

This deal makes a fair bit of sense for us to be honest.

I love Adams...a hedge fund manager’s Scott Pollard. He probably can’t close playoff games, but we need to worry about getting to the playoffs before we fret over who can finish playoff games.
If we make the play offs it means that Bagley and/or Giles have taken big steps forward in their development. If that is the case, you can close the games with one or both of them. I am not worried about whether he can close games off in play offs or not at this point. Lets get there first.

Adams' contract, age profile and game is as good a fit as you could get for the team. He brings toughness and some dawg in him which is what you want when you have young Bagley and Giles developing. Two year deal, at a reasonable price and you don't have to give up much. Its a yes from me.

"Old school" centers are a problem when you're looking to them for offense. Heck, these days arguably any center is a problem when you're looking there for offense. But if you mainly want defense/pick and roll player you won't have it too bad

I was reading where his salary of around 25 million and with the luxury tax for the team looks to be around 70 million or so. And by trading Adams it would wipe out most of that money.

We get Adams, 21st pick and give them? Maybe a 2nd round pick for like 3 years and maybe swanigan. Who knows but if its true it’s hard to believe we could pick up assets like that for really nothing.

That’s a deal that could go down tomorrow night. Oh but we could wish for that

I'm leaning towards adams over signing horford. Contract would be basically the same if the rumor of 4/$100 Mil is real for horford. Good center, younger, shorter contract, and we get a first round pick. Sign me up

Entity

Hall of Famer
Wait wait wait. You guys are ahead of me here. So your telling me we could get Steven Adams, Dennis Schroeder, and the 21st pick for a 2nd rounder maybe 2 and frank mason? And our bench could be
Schroeder
Bogdan
Brewer?
Belli
Giles

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Wait wait wait. You guys are ahead of me here. So your telling me we could get Steven Adams, Dennis Schroeder, and the 21st pick for a 2nd rounder maybe 2 and frank mason?
??? Who said that?

Oh wait. I didn't follow the link to hoopsrumors because ... well, it's hoopsrumors.