The Sharks!!!

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I'm a pretty casual hockey fan. I go to a few Stockton Heat games a year and would call myself a VERY casual Sharks fan (favorite team, kinda follow them throughout the year and playoffs, but never watch on TV - like baseball, I find it to be a lot more fun in person). I went to my first Sharks game a few weeks ago and had a great time. Decided to have a friend of mine who is a huge fan over for pizza and the game tonight.

If you missed tonight's game, I'm sorry. It was one of the best sporting events I have ever watched. What a comeback from a 3-0 deficit in the 3rd period and win in overtime. They won a series they were down 3-1 in and take the series against the Golden Knights. Holy cow. Amazing.

I mentioned in another thread that I switched from the game when it was 3-0 and got hooked into the crazy finish of the Blazers game. But I switched back to my other tuner (which I always pause) to then see the SHARKS score 4 PP goals in the span of like 4 minutes. The Shark Tank was off the hook! Unbelievable.

When they gave up the lead with under a minute remaining, I was worried. But the OT goal made it worthwhile.

Tomáš Hertl sure seems like a prophet, doesn’t he?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Based on my untrained hockey eye, these guys bounce between looking very good (Post-Penalty game 7, Game 1) and not impressive at all (nearly everything else)

And other than those fateful 5 minutes against the Golden Knights they seem like they’re horrible at Power Plays.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
So intense!!!

Idk how good STL is, but I’m having a hard time trusting the Sharks. They’re doing enough to get by, but I’ve been more impressed by both Vegas and Colorado.

Idk how good STL is, but I’m having a hard time trusting the Sharks. They’re doing enough to get by, but I’ve been more impressed by both Vegas and Colorado.
More impressed, yet they're sitting at home ;) Because neither was the better team.

I think the Sharks are far from playing their best hockey yet they're still winning series. If they can play up to the level they can, they can win the Stanley Cup. They are a very resilient, saavy and experienced team.

How huge was the disallowed goal? WOW. Gigantic mistake that looms even larger given the final result.
Replying to myself on this point because I'm a bit irked by all the talk I'm hearing on ESPN and talk radio today about game 7 and the offside call.

I watched Around the Horn and PTI today and all of them didn't like the call on the basis that the player was 'attempting' to leave the ice and wasn't 'involved' with the play. It's a bad rule, they say.

Well, I counter with the NFL and too many men on the field. When Tom Brady or Peyton Manning would quick snap the ball and catch an extra player on the field who wasn't 'involved' in the play and was 'attempting' to leave the field (often 1 foot in bounds and 1 foot out of bounds) that's always praised as a veteran, savvy move and nobody has a problem with it -- even when it results in a BIG play.

Additionally, how many times does offensive holding negate a TD or big play and the holding occurred well away from the action thus didn't impact anything?? Yet nobody seems to cry about that.

Hell, in the NBA if a player takes even one step on to the court during an on-court scuffle -- he is automatically suspended even though he wasn't involved in the play and backtracked when held back by teammates.

But here we are in a situation when the Avs player clearly was still on the ice and in the offensive zone -- a clear violation -- yet now the media wants to call it poor rule. How about blaming the player for not hustling to get his @$$ off the ice?? After all, he is about 70 pounds lighter and has less distance to travel than many of these defensive tackles that get caught trying to sub off the football field.

Bunch of hypocrites.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Replying to myself on this point because I'm a bit irked by all the talk I'm hearing on ESPN and talk radio today about game 7 and the offside call.

I watched Around the Horn and PTI today and all of them didn't like the call on the basis that the player was 'attempting' to leave the ice and wasn't 'involved' with the play. It's a bad rule, they say.

Well, I counter with the NFL and too many men on the field. When Tom Brady or Peyton Manning would quick snap the ball and catch an extra player on the field who wasn't 'involved' in the play and was 'attempting' to leave the field (often 1 foot in bounds and 1 foot out of bounds) that's always praised as a veteran, savvy move and nobody has a problem with it -- even when it results in a BIG play.

Additionally, how many times does offensive holding negate a TD or big play and the holding occurred well away from the action thus didn't impact anything?? Yet nobody seems to cry about that.

Hell, in the NBA if a player takes even one step on to the court during an on-court scuffle -- he is automatically suspended even though he wasn't involved in the play and backtracked when held back by teammates.

But here we are in a situation when the Avs player clearly was still on the ice and in the offensive zone -- a clear violation -- yet now the media wants to call it poor rule. How about blaming the player for not hustling to get his @$$ off the ice?? After all, he is about 70 pounds lighter and has less distance to travel than many of these defensive tackles that get caught trying to sub off the football field.

Bunch of hypocrites.
Not to mention the skates on his feet. ;)

Who is bemoaning this? Not hockey guys? I feel like anyone who is remotely a fan understands the rules and all the brilliant ways players stay onside.

Who is bemoaning this? Not hockey guys? I feel like anyone who is remotely a fan understands the rules and all the brilliant ways players stay onside.
I heard it from many different sources, but largely non-hockey guys. Although the NHL analysts during and after the game seemed to question it.

But the guys I heard were on Around the Horn and Wilbon from PTI. I especially thought those guys were hypocrites because I know they don’t complain about the NFL examples I cited. And their main points were ‘he was attempting to get off the ice’ and ‘didn’t affect the play’ which is true in the other examples too. But somehow they don’t see the parallel.

They’re just smashing the hell out of him on the boards every chance they get. Commentators talking about how he has a target on his back.

Sharks meanwhile, are killing it this game! Keep it up boys!!!

Yep, looking great so far! Last goal was from behind the net and off the defenseman’s skate! Lol

A gift win in OT. I’ll take it!!!
They might have won the game anyway. Who knows.

As a KINGS fan and a fan of other teams that have consistently been on the other side of these types of calls, I'm not gonna apologize or even feel sorry about it.

I saw that Peaches posted something about the Sharks needing to thank the officials should they win the Stanley Cup. To that I retort: Every team that's won a title has benefited from timely calls. Many of them incorrect (think Saints-Rams). Some correct by the letter of the law but still wrong (think Tuck rule).

I could waste time citing a myriad more examples, but you get the point.

Again, lost in all this controversy is that there's no guarantee the Blues would have won had the play been overturned.