Post National Media Coverage Here

Stephen A. invoking Mark Jackson here is ridiculous. Prayers in one corner, hookers in the other. I mean, come on now. Jackson doesn't have a job because he's at best a medicare coach who has a a terrible history in locker rooms and with personal issue. That isn't getting you re-hired in this league, or at least it shouldn't.
This is precisely it. I am not sure how he has drawn race into this. It has nothing to do with the color of the skin but Luke's fit into what Vlade wants.

He brought up Jackson but conveniently forgot to mention that a very good and respected coach in Casey got the job in Detroit shortly after he was fired by Toronto. This has nothing to do with the color of the skin but everything to do with the fit and ability.

“Ceremonial BJax”? Wtf are you trying to say?
I don't believe Bobby Jackson is an important coach on the team. I think he's window dressing from the good old days. I wasn't "trying to say" anything. I was saying it. I don't think the Kings' startling progress this past season is primarily a product of Bobby's coaching. I think it is a product of Joerger and HIS staff (the guys who will follow him out of here).

Bobby was a tough defender and a dirty defender. Nobody would drop a career number on him. If they were going to, he would "foul the F out of them" (in Bobby's own words). I loved him as a player.

No Kings player current demonstrates that attitude. DeAaron sort of throws himself at the basket like Bobby used to, but he doesn't defend dirty like Bobby.

Therefore, I don't think Bobby Jackson has a serious coaching influence on the team. I don't hate him. I don't mind him drawing a salary to be a part of things. But I don't think he is important as a coach.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't believe Bobby Jackson is an important coach on the team. I think he's window dressing from the good old days. I wasn't "trying to say" anything. I was saying it. I don't think the Kings' startling progress this past season is primarily a product of Bobby's coaching. I think it is a product of Joerger and HIS staff (the guys who will follow him out of here).

Bobby was a tough defender and a dirty defender. Nobody would drop a career number on him. If they were going to, he would "foul the F out of them" (in Bobby's own words). I loved him as a player.

No Kings player current demonstrates that attitude. DeAaron sort of throws himself at the basket like Bobby used to, but he doesn't defend dirty like Bobby.

Therefore, I don't think Bobby Jackson has a serious coaching influence on the team. I don't hate him. I don't mind him drawing a salary to be a part of things. But I don't think he is important as a coach.
If you listen to the roadtrippin’ podcasts and everything, it seems like all the guys really like him and appreciate all the work B-Jax does with them in the gym.

Sorry, but "ceremonial BJax" doesn't exactly say what you just said. I can see where you are coming from, and you may be right. But I've seen players complement Jackson and I think he's more likely a good coach.

You can be the best defensive coach in his position that ever has been. He can teach those players everything he knows about defense BUT it comes down to if the player has the skills or desire to commit to it.

Is it really warranted? The NBA doesn’t seem to have a problem in that regard. They even have 2 non-white principal owners.
I don't know. Obviously it's not the NFL. And the NBA has had some highly regarded non-white coaches, dating back decades. By the same token it is helpful in adding new blood to a very small circle and so it's not the worst thing in the world. Though objectively it is more than a little annoying that a team couldn't say "assistant coach B is our designated successor to coach A" without violating such a rule under many circumstances.

And sudden 'availability'
While I agree, I am not sure that the availability was "sudden"

I do think that someone would have been in contact with Luke or his people at some point in the last 2-3 months to "gauge" his interest in the Kings job "if it suddenly becomes available"......if you know what I mean.

I don't buy the narrative that all this happened suddenly and we fired a coach, Walton and Lakers mutually agreed to part way and we agreed to terms all within 48 hours. A lot of ground work would have gone into this before those 48 hours took place.

While I agree, I am not sure that the availability was "sudden"

I do think that someone would have been in contact with Luke or his people at some point in the last 2-3 months to "gauge" his interest in the Kings job "if it suddenly becomes available"......if you know what I mean.

I don't buy the narrative that all this happened suddenly and we fired a coach, Walton and Lakers mutually agreed to part way and we agreed to terms all within 48 hours. A lot of ground work would have gone into this before those 48 hours took place.
But that’d be tampering, right? ;)

Yes, Technically....... But, we and the Lakers knew they were going to fire Walton anyways.

By having a "mutual parting of ways", I'm sure it saved the Lakers a cool $10 million dollars remaining on Luke's contract with them.

It's only tampering if the Lakers file a complaint. Seeing that we saved them $10 million, I'm sure they will look the other way on this one! ;)

Last edited:
Its why I said back channels, unofficial etc... ;)
Yes, Technically....... But, we and the Lakers knew they were going to fire Walton anyways.

By having a "mutual parting of ways", I'm sure it saved the Lakers a cool $10 million dollars remaining on Luke's contract with them.

It's only tampering if the Lakers file a complaint. Seeing that we saved them $10 million, I'm sure they will look the other way on this one! ;)
Precisely!

Vlade has connections to the Lakers beyond the fact he is a GM in the NBA. Luke and Vlade were team mates. You can see how this was all hashed out.

The NBA is just like any other business. Things get done and it all starts with a conversation