Kings hire Luke Walton

Coach Luke Walton. What's your initial reaction?

• Great

• Pretty happy

• Unsure

• Not real happy

• Bummed

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am far from happy about the events of last few days but let’s be fair, last season, the Lakers were seen in the same light as the Kings were this season. An exciting, young, up and coming team before Magic came in and blew up the young pieces to get LeBron and a bunch of washed up vets.
The Lakers were right with the Kings for the playoffs chase until Magic and LeBron tried to trade the whole damn team for AD. They did it in public too, so every Laker knew they were on the trade block for AD. :eek:

That team just blew up from there on out.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
His allegiance to John Wooden is awesome too. Bill, if you listen closely, in some type of way is still just a big kid/fan out there on the mic who's favorite player is Bill Russell,. and thats just something so many people have lost long ago, especially in todays sports media biz in 2019....
Which means that John Wooden has not only influenced Bill, but undoubtedly Luke as well. There is absolutely nothing bad in that.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Kerr loves him. Stan Van Gundy loves him. Rondo loves him. Vlade loves him (and he's reportedly loved him for many years). That's good enough for me.

The only question about firing Joerger was who would replace him. There's no question in my mind that before Vlade fired Joerger he knew he wanted Walton. It wouldn't surprise me either if there were some back-channel conversations between Divac and Walton prior to Walton getting fired. It's not a coinkydink that Walton gets hired this fast.

Which means that John Wooden has not only influenced Bill, but undoubtedly Luke as well. There is absolutely nothing bad in that.
When Bill Walton starts to explain in the middle of some blowout nonsense pac-12 conference basketball game, that 'COach Wooden didn't coach basketball, he coached the game of life' and just starts to tell stories and drop quotes, it's just priceless, by-far the best part of the broadcast- every time, that bit will never get old.

and after listening to Bill's broadcasts for so many years. theres just no doubt in my mind he absolutely bludgeoned young Luke with wooden-ism's growing up..

it's good stuff!!!1 I have read all of Coach Wooden's books. Greatest coach of all time in my opinion.

Now that its done, we must turn our attention to draft, trades and free agency. This is a big summer for us. We absolutely must get it right with player moves. The core is here. We need to identify the right supplementary players and not blow our cap space on signings that become problematic contracts.

We have done well with this part of the equation from the moment DMC was traded.

The players must fit the core, fit the system and address our needs.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I don't really see how Luke is that much of an improvement over Joerger other than the demeanor, but it seems if he fails, Vlade will be right behind him on his way out. I'll give this hire a chance, I'm not too elated nor too upset about it, just in a wait and see how it plays out phase. Based on some of the comments from the players he's coached, nothing but positive feedback on Luke so how that translates to the team executing in the half court and substitution patterns, etc. will be fun to see

I see some people questioning substitution patterns with Joerger and now Walton from his Lakers days. There is not a coach in the NBA where the substitution patterns are not questioned. Hell, even Pop gets it. Malone got it here, Joerger got it, hell even Rick Adelman was questioned on substitution patterns by the fan base. Fact is, fans will never agree with coach’s substitution and it will be no different with Walton. It wouldn’t be differed if we got Gregg Popovich to coach the team.

I don't want to dwell on the negative especially since it doesn't really matter now but I will go on the record saying I have the same nervousness now that I had when the Kings did the obvious thing and hired George Karl. I would have liked to have seen them interview a few people and make a decision because they were confident after looking at several candidates that Luke was the right guy. That being said I wish him in the team nothing but the best for this season and will root as hard as ever. I'm sure he understands if he doesn't make the playoffs next season for your contract or not he's gone.
Big difference is Karl was a pure name-brand from the past and didn't have the coaching chops or the ability to connect with players 30+ years younger than him.

Walton is a talented young coach who at every stop has gotten the players behind him and he embraces modern principles on offense. People better be ready to see more Barnes at PF though.

Makes losing DJ palatable. Don't lose anything in the coaching chops and don't get the locker room/FO drama that apparently came with Joerger (which I still think is dumb and he was kind of just the fallout guy, but whatever). Walton was the best realistic coaching hire available and we didn't wait around to ink him. Kudos to Vlade for not waiting for other potential teams to jump in.

Now that its done, we must turn our attention to draft, trades and free agency. This is a big summer for us. We absolutely must get it right with player moves. The core is here. We need to identify the right supplementary players and not blow our cap space on signings that become problematic contracts.

We have done well with this part of the equation from the moment DMC was traded.

The players must fit the core, fit the system and address our needs.
Any chance Walton recruits Durant?

When Bill Walton starts to explain in the middle of some blowout nonsense pac-12 conference basketball game, that 'COach Wooden didn't coach basketball, he coached the game of life' and just starts to tell stories and drop quotes, it's just priceless, by-far the best part of the broadcast- every time, that bit will never get old.

and after listening to Bill's broadcasts for so many years. theres just no doubt in my mind he absolutely bludgeoned young Luke with wooden-ism's growing up..

it's good stuff!!!1 I have read all of Coach Wooden's books. Greatest coach of all time in my opinion.
Would love for Bill to spend some time with Giles. One of the best passing big men ever would have some nuggets one would think.

Quickest turn around ever. Given timing of how everything panned out you have to ask did vlade know Walton would be available and hence he moved as he did to dismiss joerger ?

Obviously there were issues but we still could have continued with Dave.

It's clear as day vlade is a big Walton fan and he now has his first choice coach

Conspiracy theorist in me says that approach to Walton was made before Dave was officially sacked and Luke mutually agreed to part way with the Lakers.

I liked coach Jorger and I hope Luke Walton is an upgrade for this team. I sincerely hope that Divac/Walton combo is the new version of Petrie/Adelman for the Kings.

Yes agreed completely. Vlade has Laker ties and buss could have tapped him on the shoulder as a way of softening the blow for Walton or Vlade could have enquired and furthered our cause.

Either way we definitely just did business with the devil. I'm fine with it as long as they don't expect any favours from us down the track.

don't get the locker room/FO drama that apparently came with Joerger (which I still think is dumb and he was kind of just the fallout guy, but whatever).
Agree with your points on Karl. Spot on.

But I don’t agree about DJ being a fall guy. How so? Both DJ and Williams were fired. So no sides were taken. Both were equally responsible for their own behavior.

There was no fall guy. Both got what they deserved by handling the situation in an unprofessional and childish manner while working beneath a leader that isn’t going to tolerate it.

I am bummed... I don't like what he did in Los Angeles, and he seemed to have a problem with players respecting him. I am sure with players in this day and age who like to go off and do their own things will really not find him all that great. We shouldn't have fired Joerger.

I am bummed... I don't like what he did in Los Angeles, and he seemed to have a problem with players respecting him. I am sure with players in this day and age who like to go off and do their own things will really not find him all that great. We shouldn't have fired Joerger.
There was only one player in LA that didn’t care for him and that was Lebron. Even Rondo had nice things to say about him. Rondo doesn’t have nice things to say about alot of people.

Example of players not respecting Walton outside of LeJack the Coach Ripper who would angle to replace Popovich with Damon Jones or something if given the chance. I’ll wait

Even Mr. Uncoachable Rajon Rondo went out of his way to show respect to Luke.

dude12

Hall of Famer
This supposed issue that the players didn’t exactly have a great relationship with Joerger makes me wonder or rather hope that our roster isn’t full of a bunch of snowflakes.