How many wins do Kings need to get to the playoffs?

How many wins will it take for Kings to get to the playoffs?

• 42 or less

Votes: 2 3.2%

Votes: 1 1.6%

Votes: 4 6.3%

Votes: 20 31.7%

Votes: 15 23.8%

Votes: 9 14.3%

Votes: 7 11.1%

Votes: 2 3.2%

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • 51 or more

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As someone else mentioned, the West is so packed they might actually lower the bar because of how many times they play each other. The question is what will the bar be to get into the playoffs (i.e. 8th seed). You're thinking of top seed, I think...
It's actually the opposite. Instead of the top 2 teams beating the lower seeds, the lower seeds beat the top teams which will raise the lower seeds wins.

Currently, the 8th seed (Mavs) are 3 games over .500. The Mavs next game is home against the Hawks, so it's safe to assume that they'll be 4 games over .500.

Then I'll assume that 4 games over .500 is going to be the minimum for the 8th seed. That means 45 wins, but last year the 8th seed was 6 games over .500. I'll just split the difference and say 46 wins, which is a tough win total to reach after being so bad last year. Reaching that would involve a trade of some sorts.

FWIW, I'm projecting lower win total for 8th seed this year simply because the higher level of competition in the west will slightly flatten the win distributions overall. There is (in my opinion) far less terrible teams this year, so wins will be harder to come by for everyone.
We absolutely should be trying to make deal to get in the playoffs. Sooner than later. No reason to tank and the fans deserve it.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Currently, the 8th seed (Mavs) are 3 games over .500. The Mavs next game is home against the Hawks, so it's safe to assume that they'll be 4 games over .500.

Then I'll assume that 4 games over .500 is going to be the minimum for the 8th seed. That means 45 wins...
So...without taking sides on the (actual and existing) debate over the definition of "games over .500" I should point out that if the Mavs (14-11) are currently 3 games over .500, then a final record of 45-37 is 8 games over .500, not 4.

Then I'll assume that 4 games over .500 is going to be the minimum for the 8th seed. That means 45 wins, but last year the 8th seed was 6 games over .500. I'll just split the difference and say 46 wins, which is a tough win total to reach after being so bad last year. Reaching that would involve a trade of some sorts.

FWIW, I'm projecting lower win total for 8th seed this year simply because the higher level of competition in the west will slightly flatten the win distributions overall. There is (in my opinion) far less terrible teams this year, so wins will be harder to come by for everyone.
The Hawks beat the Nuggets a few days ago, though I agree it is likely the Mavs win. This season has been one of the most intriguing to me in a long while, not even taking our success in to account. Craziness.

So...without taking sides on the (actual and existing) debate over the definition of "games over .500" I should point out that if the Mavs (14-11) are currently 3 games over .500, then a final record of 45-37 is 8 games over .500, not 4.
You're right. My definition over .500 is poor. I think the use of "games" is the problem. It should be wins or losses. Wins over or losses from. Either way, I am guessing 46 wins and 5 wins over 500. (As 41 wins is 500)

We absolutely should be trying to make deal to get in the playoffs. Sooner than later. No reason to tank and the fans deserve it.
I thi k with our expiring contracts and Skal, and/or Yogi or Mason we could trade for the piece to finally see the sweet post season... it's been too long my friend!

Just coming back to update this thread. Currently the 7th and 8th seeds have 45 wins with 3 games to go. It probably would take 46 wins to make the playoffs this year.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Just coming back to update this thread. Currently the 7th and 8th seeds have 45 wins with 3 games to go. It probably would take 46 wins to make the playoffs this year.
I don't see it being much different next season either, especially with a lot of big name free agents out there come July 1st

I don't see it being much different next season either, especially with a lot of big name free agents out there come July 1st
Yep. The west is going to get stronger and many expect the Lakers to be back in it next season (i dont, Johnson is a woeful GM and no one wants to play with Lebron)

Who is going to make way for us ?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Yep. The west is going to get stronger and many expect the Lakers to be back in it next season (i dont, Johnson is a woeful GM and no one wants to play with Lebron)

Who is going to make way for us ?
if anyone, Spurs may be on the decline and that may open up a spot there but even then, you can never count out Pop and a team that's been to the Playoffs 21 straight seasons. crazy to say that 0_0

it's the Wild Wild West, did you expect anything less? It was not that long ago that the 8th seed in the West had 50 wins
I thought the Eastern improved more than it had. Also there was more parity at the top that I expected. I thought there might be two or three teams to win 60 games.