How many wins do Kings need to get to the playoffs?

How many wins will it take for Kings to get to the playoffs?

• 42 or less

Votes: 2 3.2%

Votes: 1 1.6%

Votes: 4 6.3%

Votes: 20 31.7%

Votes: 15 23.8%

Votes: 9 14.3%

Votes: 7 11.1%

Votes: 2 3.2%

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • 51 or more

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So the West is more competitive this year, but that actually might lower the win total needed to get in from where it was last season. Everyone right now is basically just beating each other, which is keeping W/L totals so close together and still just 6 games separating the 1 seed and the 14 seed. I voted 47, but it wouldn't surprise me to see something like 44 or 45 either.

The key is to just keep winning. It's not about totals at this stage. Avoiding slumps and winning consistently is key.

We can make the playoffs this year. It's not out of reach. The FO has to be savy and look at acquisitions that fit. Slanted as a development year, we don't have to sit on our hands and lose games to develop. Making the playoffs would do the world of good and fast track all and that should be our goal. I know it's what I put down for us at the start of this season as realistic and I know everyone in that locker room is gunning towards it.

Kings currently on 44.
Mav in 8th at 46.
Thunder on top 56.

Last time a Western conference team didnt hit 60 wins was 09/10 (not counting strike season where Spurs had 62 win pace).
Lakers top at 57.
8th seed thunder at 50.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kings currently on 44.
Mav in 8th at 46.
Thunder on top 56.

Last time a Western conference team didnt hit 60 wins was 09/10 (not counting strike season where Spurs had 62 win pace).
Lakers top at 57.
8th seed thunder at 50.
As someone else mentioned, the West is so packed they might actually lower the bar because of how many times they play each other. The question is what will the bar be to get into the playoffs (i.e. 8th seed). You're thinking of top seed, I think...

I am going with approx 49 wins.. It's going to be tough because the whole western conference is way above/above/near .500 with the exception of Phoenix.
We could have a winning record and still not make the playoffs.

LOL. Yeah, I don't even want to go to the land above the 8th seed.:)
Shoot.. 6/7/8 are all attainable, although 6/7 will probably be just out of reach. I doubt the Lakers will cool off and I doubt Portland, Memphis will win less than 50. That sticks us in the group of Houston/San Antonio/Utah/New Orleans/Minnesota/Dallas all fighting for an 8th seed and all close to .500 or over. I assume the standings will even out a bit after 20 more games, or near AS Break.

Shoot.. 6/7/8 are all attainable, although 6/7 will probably be just out of reach. I doubt the Lakers will cool off and I doubt Portland, Memphis will win less than 50. That sticks us in the group of Houston/San Antonio/Utah/New Orleans/Minnesota/Dallas all fighting for an 8th seed and all close to .500 or over. I assume the standings will even out a bit after 20 more games, or near AS Break.
I don't see Memphis maintaining their current win pace. They'll be in the low 40s or lower. Dallas and Minnesota have horrible road records and both have been boosted by a heavy home schedule. I see them both in the low 40s as well.

I can remember when the low 40’s got you in and this just seems like it’s going to be that kind of year. I am just still dreaming about having 20 wins around New Years. Would love to be there at what many of the so called experts in the media thought our season total would be close to.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I put 43. This is like a knife fight with five guys fighting against each other. There is going to be a lot of blood on the floor before it's over with. Nobody is going to stand out. The survivors will be those with the most fortitude and fortunate in how few injuries they have over the course of the season.

I put 43. This is like a knife fight with five guys fighting against each other. There is going to be a lot of blood on the floor before it's over with. Nobody is going to stand out. The survivors will be those with the most fortitude and fortunate in how few injuries they have over the course of the season.
The Kings owe it to their fanbase to make a playoff run. Not so much the players but owners, front office and coaches. It has been many years of playing for nothing in the Spring but pride. The last time the Kings even had the whiff of a playoff run was before Boogie. I think it was going back to Ron Artest. It was back when we lost to the Spurs 1-4. That is over one decade. I am not even talking about making the playoffs, I am talking about being in the chase, for games in a February and March to mean something besides where will our pick be in the lottery. I think the Kings are serious about seizing this moment, they see how open the West is, how a team like the Rockets and Jazz have slipped, the Wolves are vulnerable, the Spurs don't guard, the Clippers are winning with journeymen players and a rookie PG. The Kings don't have to take a backseat to these teams. What would put us in advantageous position would be getting Otto without giving up too much. This is the move we need on December 15th or soon thereafter. I was willing to include Willie in a trade, now I am more inclined to keep him. I am ambivalent on this. I could go either way. I expanded on this in the other thread, if he can become one of the fastest Cs to go with the fastest PG in the league, he may have a place on the team beyond this year eventually as a backup. He has to display sprinting speed more often, many times per game! If we can get Otto for any combination of: Yogi, Jackson, Z-Bo, Ben, Koufos, and I may have to reluctantly throw Troy Williams in there (since we need to entice the Wizards somehow), we will be sitting pretty to make the playoffs. How many wins with that be? As many as it takes! In the larger scheme, if we can get Otto without giving up too much talent, our rebuild will be complete. Not too shabby in fact.....

1544551376789.png

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The Kings owe it to their fanbase to make a playoff run. Not so much the players but owners, front office and coaches. It has been many years of playing for nothing in the Spring but pride. The last time the Kings even had the whiff of a playoff run was before Boogie. I think it was going back to Ron Artest. It was back when we lost to the Spurs 1-4. That is over one decade. I am not even talking about making the playoffs, I am talking about being in the chase, for games in a February and March to mean something besides where will our pick be in the lottery. I think the Kings are serious about seizing this moment, they see how open the West is, how a team like the Rockets and Jazz have slipped, the Wolves are vulnerable, the Spurs don't guard, the Clippers are winning with journeymen players and a rookie PG. The Kings don't have to take a backseat to these teams. What would put us in advantageous position would be getting Otto without giving up too much. This is the move we need on December 15th or soon thereafter. I was willing to include Willie in a trade, now I am more inclined to keep him. I am ambivalent on this. I could go either way. I expanded on this in the other thread, if he can become one of the fastest Cs to go with the fastest PG in the league, he may have a place on the team beyond this year eventually as a backup. He has to display sprinting speed more often, many times per game! If we can get Otto for any combination of: Yogi, Jackson, Z-Bo, Ben, Koufos, and I may have to reluctantly throw Troy Williams in there (since we need to entice the Wizards somehow), we will be sitting pretty to make the playoffs. How many wins with that be? As many as it takes! In the larger scheme, if we can get Otto without giving up too much talent, our rebuild will be complete. Not too shabby in fact.....

View attachment 8607
Agree about Porter. If they get him without giving up their core (and I'd put Shump in the core), then chances of getting into the playoffs get much better. (I wouldn't say the roster would be entirely complete though). Defense gets better, outside shooting gets better, rebounding gets better, even passing gets better with Porter. Washington just has to lose a lot more before the trade deadline to get them motivated. :)

Last edited:
Currently, the 8th seed (Mavs) are 3 games over .500. The Mavs next game is home against the Hawks, so it's safe to assume that they'll be 4 games over .500.

Then I'll assume that 4 games over .500 is going to be the minimum for the 8th seed. That means 45 wins, but last year the 8th seed was 6 games over .500. I'll just split the difference and say 46 wins, which is a tough win total to reach after being so bad last year. Reaching that would involve a trade of some sorts.

FWIW, I'm projecting lower win total for 8th seed this year simply because the higher level of competition in the west will slightly flatten the win distributions overall. There is (in my opinion) far less terrible teams this year, so wins will be harder to come by for everyone.