SF Trades

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
While most of these trade proposals are rather optimistic, I do agree that we’ll get involved in a trade for a SF. My ideal target would be Jaylen Brown, but we have no hope of that until after Ainge moves our pick (side note: I’m pretty stunned the Celtics aren’t floating godfather offers for KAT through their media puppets like Simmons and Lowe).

There might be a chance with Josh Jackson. The thing about Phoenix is that the guy who drafted all their recent top picks just got fired. Jones has a clean slate to get rid of guys that aren’t in his plans. They obviously won’t just give Jackson away, but there is room to make a deal there. Phoenix is rumored to want Wall...perhaps we can facilitate a salary dump for taking Jackson.
Jaylen Brown is untouchable. Boston will pay him whatever he wants because Brad Stevens' system is built around wings who can defend multiple positions and Brown is the best wing defender they have.

They do not hold all of the cards. They are above the tax line right now, and there are very, very few teams that can help them out. That's a big card we hold. If they don't move Porter & resign Oubre next year, they will (again) be above the luxury tax. This is something their owner does not want to do.

They do not hold all of the cards. We are one of the few teams that can help them out. That's called leverage.

And how is Rivers even in the same breath as a "starting level" player? He'd be the 3rd best SG on our team (potentially 4th if you want to count Shumpert). Wizards fans have been very upset with his play and puzzled why Brown isn't getting minutes over him.
Yes the Wiz are in the luxury tax, but I think what everyone here is trying to say is that they wouldn't dump Oubre just to avoid the luxury tax. It would have to be at least a semi-fair trade. You have a lot of things to consider with Oubre. He's an athletic soon to be 23yearold SF. He's improved every year in the league, and and this year: 14.7pts 5.3rebs on 44.7/38.9/92 in 7 games. They would need more than KK back in a trade or 2nd rounders.

I can see things imploding for Washington, but I don't see them pulling a trigger on a trade where they dump one of their younger/more promising players for cap space.

If they end up paying the luxury tax this year, they can dump contracts in the upcoming offseason where lots of teams will have cap space.

Jaylen Brown is untouchable. Boston will pay him whatever he wants because Brad Stevens' system is built around wings who can defend multiple positions and Brown is the best wing defender they have.
All Celtics are untouchable according to Ainge and his media mouthpieces. We’ll see how happy Brown is playing 4th or 5th fiddle. By next trade deadline either Brown is gone or Heyward is gone.

The Celts won't be able to pay and play everyone. I think they are looking at Jalyen's FA as a ticking clock on how to figure out what they want to do. Marcus Smart could be the guy sacrificed to make cap space and playtime room.

Yes the Wiz are in the luxury tax, but I think what everyone here is trying to say is that they wouldn't dump Oubre just to avoid the luxury tax. It would have to be at least a semi-fair trade. You have a lot of things to consider with Oubre. He's an athletic soon to be 23yearold SF. He's improved every year in the league, and and this year: 14.7pts 5.3rebs on 44.7/38.9/92 in 7 games. They would need more than KK back in a trade or 2nd rounders.

I can see things imploding for Washington, but I don't see them pulling a trigger on a trade where they dump one of their younger/more promising players for cap space.

If they end up paying the luxury tax this year, they can dump contracts in the upcoming offseason where lots of teams will have cap space.
No they won't trade oubre for a fair price but that's exactly why we could get Porter. Washington is going to have to make a decision and all roads short of biting the bullet on a huge ticket tax bill for a disappointing team lead through Vlade.

For this season I would offer Mclemore for Kyle Korver, Kyle would fit our system this season perfectly off the bench with Bogie his ability to play without the ball and 3 point shooting would be real valuable. He's actually maintained what little athletic ability he had and adds another high IQ player to the team while we wait for maybe Williams to explode or sign a legit starting SF.

I don't think Brown is untouchable, he'll be the centerpiece of a Anthony Davis trade

For this season I would offer Mclemore for Kyle Korver, Kyle would fit our system this season perfectly off the bench with Bogie his ability to play without the ball and 3 point shooting would be real valuable. He's actually maintained what little athletic ability he had and adds another high IQ player to the team while we wait for maybe Williams to explode or sign a legit starting SF.
Korver could not play at this pace, no reason to get him.

The Kings are rolling right now. Unless we can get an under valued small forward with some upside, I wouldn't trade for any high salary player with multiple years on their contract, i.e. Otto Porter or Kyle Korver.

I think the best approach is to stay the course with what we have now.

Maybe take a small salary dump to get another team under the Luxury tax and get back some draft picks. But I wouldn't take on any large or lengthy contracts in a salary dump.

Save our money and cap space to re-sign our own home grown future superstars! ;)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I don't know the deal that could or should be made at SF. All I know is that the Kings are in a position of strength. Let me repeat: The Kings are for the first time in a decade in a position of strength. Not only do they have the cap room, they have a legit up-and-coming winning team. They are not in desperate straights. They are doing just fine with the talent they have, and are patiently going to wait until the right deal comes around for the SF position. In the meantime, they've got Bogs and Shump and Troy Williams and Gabriel and Jackson to compete for minutes at the position. No worries. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Nobody is gonna even answer the phone for a proposed trade involving Ben.

hrdboild

Staff member
Nobody is gonna even answer the phone for a proposed trade involving Ben.
We did :) Here's how that conversation might go:

"Why worry about names Mr. Ainge? After all, what's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other word would smell as sweet. What I have for you today, and it is your lucky day...

Yes, yes I make Celtics joke. But no listen, what I have for you are several fat expiring contracts in advance of the alluring free agent class of 2019....

What's that...

No I can't tell my guys to lose to get you a better draft pick...

Well, I'll still be here when you change your mind. <click>

Peja get Tom on the line...

Hello Tom, er, Thomas? Yes it's me Vlade. No not Radmanovic, Vlade Divac...

<laughter> No, but I'll tell him you said that. <Vlade winks at Peja> Anyway, down to business. I'm sorry to hear that you're in a tough spot...

I agree completely and trust me when I tell you that the Vladfather knows all about respect. So listen Tom, you know that you're like family to me. I'm now prepared to make you an offer you can't refuse...

Who am I offering? Why worry about names Mr. Thibodeau..."

The Celts won't be able to pay and play everyone. I think they are looking at Jalyen's FA as a ticking clock on how to figure out what they want to do. Marcus Smart could be the guy sacrificed to make cap space and playtime room.
Celts would be an interesting case. Next year, as currently constructed, they will be on the hook for 102M without Kyrie (and I think 10 players on the roster), and Horford as the only big man.

While I think they'll pay the tax (assuming Kyrie agrees to re-sign with them), depending on the bill, they might try to cut some costs. If so, Brown is a candidate who can give them some relief, while also getting something of value.

No one will take Hayward with that huge contract, and potential injury issues. Smart is a possibility, and teams appreciate the intensity he brings, but his offensive limitations are too severe, and his contract very long.

With Hayward and Tatum as the main wing guys, and Semi Ojeleye as someone who can provide backup minutes there, Brown is a valuable trading piece.

That said, they don't have to, and likely won't make any moves right now. Plus, I don't think we can get him. They don't have any "BAD" contracts right now (unless you classify Hayward as one), that they need to unload. They will either expect a big difference maker for Brown, who can clearly set them apart from Toronto/Bucks/Philly in the East, or some promising young guy(s) on longer rookie deals, plus picks. We can't offer either, unless we trade one of our core pieces, which likely defeats the purpose of the trade.

Washington will end up making a deal for Butler is my best guess how thing will shake out...

Think about it
I think a Butler for Porter Jr trade could make sense depending on how Minny feels about their cap situation. For the Wizards, it seems like there's a lot of guys with egos and Butler would be another. However, they all have big egos because they want to win..which is why I think Butler could be the piece to rally them back together.

Korver could not play at this pace, no reason to get him.
Not true at all , Korver still moves well and guys like him JJ Reddick, Rip Hamilton, Reggie Miller have to have amazing motors and conditioning to be able to move without the ball as they do, if KK/Bjelica can play than so can Kyle. Plus we would only be asking him to play 10-20mins game which he could easily do imagine him getting the looks JJ is currently getting.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
We did :) Here's how that conversation might go:

"Why worry about names Mr. Ainge? After all, what's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other word would smell as sweet. What I have for you today, and it is your lucky day...

Yes, yes I make Celtics joke. But no listen, what I have for you are several fat expiring contracts in advance of the alluring free agent class of 2019....

What's that...

No I can't tell my guys to lose to get you a better draft pick...

Well, I'll still be here when you change your mind. <click>

Peja get Tom on the line...

Hello Tom, er, Thomas? Yes it's me Vlade. No not Radmanovic, Vlade Divac...

<laughter> No, but I'll tell him you said that. <Vlade winks at Peja> Anyway, down to business. I'm sorry to hear that you're in a tough spot...

I agree completely and trust me when I tell you that the Vladfather knows all about respect. So listen Tom, you know that you're like family to me. I'm now prepared to make you an offer you can't refuse...

Who am I offering? Why worry about names Mr. Thibodeau..."
Okay, that was really good. :)

I think a Butler for Porter Jr trade could make sense depending on how Minny feels about their cap situation. For the Wizards, it seems like there's a lot of guys with egos and Butler would be another. However, they all have big egos because they want to win..which is why I think Butler could be the piece to rally them back together.
I’d be trying to give the Wolves John Wall as an undercover salary dump if I was the Wizards. In theory, he makes more positional sense than Porter Jr, as well, since Porter Jr and Wiggins ostensibly play the same position. Wall is still a really good facilitator—Wiggins and Towns would get more efficient.

hrdboild

Staff member
I’d be trying to give the Wolves John Wall as an undercover salary dump if I was the Wizards. In theory, he makes more positional sense than Porter Jr, as well, since Porter Jr and Wiggins ostensibly play the same position. Wall is still a really good facilitator—Wiggins and Towns would get more efficient.
Agreed, John Wall is also a splashy name that allows Thibodeau to save some face. Unless Derrick Rose has got a truckload of extra plutonium to keep that time machine running, PG is the position where bringing in an established vet can make the biggest difference for that team right now. Such a deal might indirectly benefit us as either Phoenix or LA (Lebron's) might try make a play for Wall if no one else does and even if we potentially have the younger and better version in Fox I don't really want an All-Star PG bolstering another team in our division.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think the player that the Wiz would like to move is Beal. In fact, a straight up trade of Beal for Butler would work, and also give the Wiz a bit of cap relief since there's a bit more than 4 mil difference between the players salary wise. That might be a pill that Tib's could swallow, and it would certainly help the Wiz defense. If the Wiz are really looking for cap relief, then they just let Butler walk at the end of the year, or, resign Butler which would put them in position to move either Porter or Oubre.

Agreed, John Wall is also a splashy name that allows Thibodeau to save some face. Unless Derrick Rose has got a truckload of extra plutonium to keep that time machine running, PG is the position where bringing in an established vet can make the biggest difference for that team right now. Such a deal might indirectly benefit us as either Phoenix or LA (Lebron's) might try make a play for Wall if no one else does and even if we potentially have the younger and better version in Fox I don't really want an All-Star PG bolstering another team in our division.
I proposed a deal centered around Wall for Butler/Teague on another forum. Minnesota fans hated. They essentially would rather let Butler walk vs. taking on Wall's huge contract. I tend to agree with them. However, Thib's desire to compete now cannot be overlooked. I think it's one of those deals that has the potential to get done while knowing the majority of the fan base will hate it.

On the other side, I would really like to see what a rotation of...

PG - Teague / Satoransky
SG - Beal / Rivers / Brown
SF - Butler / Oubre / Green
PF - Porter / Morris / Smith
C - Howard / Mahinmi / Bryant

...could accomplish.

WCS/JJ for Oubre/Smith.
You could argue that Cauley-Stein has more value than Oubre right now.

WCS: +31.9 On-Off / .571 TS% / .571 FG% / .000 3PT% / .500 FT% / 19.8 PPG / 10.4 RPG / 2.8 APG / 1.5 SPG / 0.6 BPG / 1.6 TOPG
Oubre: -14.3 On-Off / .557 TS% / .424 FG% / .333 3PT% / .844 FT% / 18.3 PPG / 6.5 RPG / 0.7 APG / 0.7 SPG / 1.0 BPG / 2.2 TOPG

and then you're swapping Jackson for a useless, expiring Smith. We're giving up too much value here.

Austin Rivers
Jason Smith
Kelly Oubre

for

Kosta Koufos
Justin Jackson
Skal Labissiere

Factoring in the cap holds of Cauley-Stein & Oubre next year, we would have ~$39 mil in cap space with the following players under contract:

PG - Fox / Ferrell / Mason
SG - Hield / Bogdanovic
SF - Oubre
PF - Bjelica / Giles
C - Cauley-Stein / Bagley

That's a strong, young core with lots of cap space to do some damage.

Wizards keep losing, with this loss being a blowout at the hands of the Mavs.

It'd be easier to determine a possible move for the Kings if I could make sense of the Wizards front office. I don't know what they're thinking at this point. It's as though everyone but the Wizards seem to be in panic about how bad the Wizards are.