Bogdan and Buddy in the back court?

Could Bogdan be effective as our primary ball handler?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought it was interesting on Grant’s show today, Joeger talked about playing Bogdan and Buddy in the back court.

The Kings best shooting line-up could well be
Bogdan
Buddy
Beli
Skal
Giles

Not sure how they would guard anyone but they could shoot.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I thought it was interesting on Grant’s show today, Joeger talked about playing Bogdan and Buddy in the back court.

Bogdan
Buddy
Beli
Skal
Giles

It's not a difficult concept, play your best players and let them grow together.

Bogdan
Buddy
Beli
Skal
Giles

I swear this team and coach if you’re gonna do that backcourt and lineup than ****ing draft a wing whose an elite playmaker.

I swear this team and coach if you’re gonna do that backcourt and lineup than ****ing draft a wing whose an elite playmaker.
There wasn’t one available. There was a PG/SG available who would get defensively destroyed and offensively stymied because of the extreme athleticism, length and size of players at those positions if he had to play SF/PF though.

Why? With Bogdan you need a wing that can shoot. We all know Bogdan will pass first.
There wasn’t one available. There was a PG/SG available who would get defensively destroyed and offensively stymied because of the extreme athleticism, length and size of players at those positions if he had to play SF/PF though.
If we’re wanting to go Bogdan/Buddy than You know who is a perfect fit with those guys.

I don’t wanna change the thread though

Buddy and Bogdan on the ‘wings’?

Yep.

Bogdan can’t defend PGs, and it’s arguable if he’s best defensively as a SF instead of SG.

The thread sounds like another one of the OP’s light dismissals of Fox, the teams best prospect

People overrate Bogdan's playmaking abilities. He's good for his size but he's not run a successful team good.
He HAS run a successful team good, just not in the NBA. In the NBA, he played only for a team that was full of players that pretty much did not know what they were supposed to do on the basketball court, which makes the playmaker's job that much more difficult. That seems to be changing though as our youngsters gain more understanding of the game, which Bogdan himself has played a part in, or at least Buddy has explicitly stated so. As the general understanding of the game rises, they will all start looking better...

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I whole heartedly disagree. You draft for potential and you trade or sign guys to fill holes. Even #1 picks are Shrodenger's player until they hit the court and more often than not take more than 2 years either live up to potential or prove a bust. Now if you want to complain about off season trades and signings line up behind me.

Heck the coach is wishful but even Iman played about half a season at point guard if you have somebody like Lebron bringing the ball up.

Why not try different things out as I agree that if you have certain situations and if you can make the opponent react to what you are doing that’s a good thing.

He HAS run a successful team good, just not in the NBA. In the NBA, he played only for a team that was full of players that pretty much did not know what they were supposed to do on the basketball court, which makes the playmaker's job that much more difficult. That seems to be changing though as our youngsters gain more understanding of the game, which Bogdan himself has played a part in, or at least Buddy has explicitly stated so. As the general understanding of the game rises, they will all start looking better...
Not to be the grammer NAZI but it is run a successful team well, and I agree with everything else your said.

Bogi and Buddy is objectively the best backcourt right now but Fox certainly needs the minutes load to see what he has in him. An interesting lineup that can really spread the floor would be Yogi, Buddy, Bogi, Bjelicia and one of the bigs as the dive man. That's four above average shooters, four capable ball handlers and decision makers and one athletic finisher.

Define "people." Define "for his size." And define "he's not run a successful team good."
People - Anyone who thinks he can be the main facilitator on a successful team.

For His Size - His passing abilities compared to other players that are his size.

He's not run a successful team good - My lack of grammar may have made that confusing. What I meant is he's good but he's not good enough to run a successful team as the main ball handler. If you think so, you can change my mind by providing me with examples of good teams that are led by players with similar passing skills. I doubt you'll find many unless they are surrounded by other great passers....in the same vain as the successful Kings teams of the past.

For the record, I think he's fine as a second or third ball handler but I think people are overrating his passing due to the lack of passing and IQ on last years team. He's good in the pick and roll but he doesn't break down defenses and get guys good looks early in the shot clock. I would bet a lot of money that the Kings will never be a playoff team with him as the leading assist man. That's not a knock on Bogie. If anything it would be a knock on Vlade for not being able to acquire a high level facilitator.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Buddy and Bogdan on the ‘wings’?

Yep.

Bogdan can’t defend PGs, and it’s arguable if he’s best defensively as a SF instead of SG.

The thread sounds like another one of the OP’s light dismissals of Fox, the teams best prospect
Hrm. I think it sounds like someone saying what Grant was talking about and then projecting it onto an idea about the possible "best shooting line-up"...

Since he concludes with "not sure how they would guard anyone" I think it's pretty clear he wasn't throwing shade on Fox as much as he was simply stating the best possible offensive combination.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

For His Size - His passing abilities compared to other players that are his size.

He's not run a successful team good - My lack of grammar may have made that confusing. What I meant is he's good but he's not good enough to run a successful team as the main ball handler. If you think so, you can change my mind by providing me with examples of good teams that are led by players with similar passing skills. I doubt you'll find many unless they are surrounded by other great passers....in the same vain as the successful Kings teams of the past.

For the record, I think he's fine as a second or third ball handler but I think people are overrating his passing due to the lack of passing and IQ on last years team. He's good in the pick and roll but he doesn't break down defenses and get guys good looks early in the shot clock. I would bet a lot of money that the Kings will never be a playoff team with him as the leading assist man. That's not a knock on Bogie. If anything it would be a knock on Vlade for not being able to acquire a high level facilitator.
How would examples of players not named Bogdan prove anything about Bogdan? I think we too often try and pigeonhole players without acknowledging that they have unique attributes. I've seen enough glimpses of Bogdan to think he can do a lot more than what we've witnessed thus far.

It also might depend a lot on who we're playing. We've got enough talent right now IMHO to be able to shift lineups depending upon matchups.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not to be the grammer NAZI but it is run a successful team well, and I agree with everything else your said.
Just a friendly reminder that we have a rule that specifically talks about not being the grammar police. We have a lot of members whose first or even second language is not English.

Thanks for the clarification(s).
I don't see more than a couple of posters here who think Bogi should be the primary ball handler. It may seem like there's more of them, but that's because some of the posters here keep posting the same opinion(s) over and over. If you don't filter out the repeaters, you can get caught up in their game of trying to look like they represent a larger share of fans. So I happen to think that most of the posters here think Bogi is a good ball handler and facilitator. And I agree with them. But I agree with you that he also has some flaws in that area - namely not making decisions fast enough. So I see a limit to his facilitator abilities. He really should be a SG. But with Buddy emerging as one of our best players, I think Bogi's wingspan needs to be tested this year to see if he can play some SF without being a liability. PLaying on the same team as Buddy, Bogi's best case scenario IMO is to become our version of Manu. Yes, a bit less athletic, but still capable in all the same ways as Manu was for the Spurs and their championship runs.

How would examples of players not named Bogdan prove anything about Bogdan? I think we too often try and pigeonhole players without acknowledging that they have unique attributes. I've seen enough glimpses of Bogdan to think he can do a lot more than what we've witnessed thus far.

It also might depend a lot on who we're playing. We've got enough talent right now IMHO to be able to shift lineups depending upon matchups.
If there isn't another player in the league that can lead his team to the playoffs with similar stats to Bogdan, then the odds of Bogdan being able to do it are going to be pretty low. If I say that there isn't a single SF in the league like Bagley and that playing him at that position wouldn't lead to winning basketball games, would I be pigeonholing him as well? To me, there are some things that are just very obvious and both examples are just that in my opinion.

Thanks for the clarification(s).
I don't see more than a couple of posters here who think Bogi should be the primary ball handler. It may seem like there's more of them, but that's because some of the posters here keep posting the same opinion(s) over and over. If you don't filter out the repeaters, you can get caught up in their game of trying to look like they represent a larger share of fans. So I happen to think that most of the posters here think Bogi is a good ball handler and facilitator. And I agree with them. But I agree with you that he also has some flaws in that area - namely not making decisions fast enough. So I see a limit to his facilitator abilities. He really should be a SG. But with Buddy emerging as one of our best players, I think Bogi's wingspan needs to be tested this year to see if he can play some SF without being a liability. PLaying on the same team as Buddy, Bogi's best case scenario IMO is to become our version of Manu. Yes, a bit less athletic, but still capable in all the same ways as Manu was for the Spurs and their championship runs.
That could very well be the case. I've seen it on here multiple times and on StR as well but I guess I've never paid attention to who's said it. I'm a big believer in playing these guys where they have their advantages so Bogdan at SG makes the most sense to me as well but if the roster isn't constructed correctly, then you have to just play the best guys together and to me that means Hield at the 2 and Bogdan at the 3. I agree with the Manu comparison and I think that's realistic. Just like Manu, he's built to share the ball handling duties with another playmaker but you couldn't just put him out there with 4 shooters because it would be difficult to get those shooters open.

Just a friendly reminder that we have a rule that specifically talks about not being the grammar police. We have a lot of members whose first or even second language is not English.
Fair enough. I don’t normally do that, it’s just when he repeated ESPN47’s post I thought we Americans were taking the Serbs down the wrong path . I should have known he knew quite well it was poor English and as usual foreign born speakers have better grammar than us Americans