Mock Draft Kings #2 lists

People were tanking left and right in a blatantly unprecedented fashion since Tim Duncan's draft year to get a top pick this year. Doncic was widely regarded as the #1, but it's a year like Oden/Durant.

I feel it is important to point out that in the 82 games that Brandon Roy, Greg Oden and LaMarcus Aldridge appeared in together the Blazers won at a 75% clip. Had he not been consistently injured the Blazers would have a few more trophies in their case to go along the one from 77.

Also in Duncan's and LeBron's draft years you never heard about trades for #1 because the Spurs and Cavs would have been insane to trade from the top pick.
Yeah there's no Duncan or LeBron in this draft. It does go six deep though in terms of really solid prospects who project to be possible difference makers.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Yeah there's no Duncan or LeBron in this draft. It does go six deep though in terms of really solid prospects who project to be possible difference makers.
I don't think we'll ever see a LeBron or Duncan type single player anticipated in the draft again given the way the game is played these days but I do think Ayton and Doncic are the most anticipated 1-2 since Oden-Durant.

Doncic has special talents that if they translate to the NBA could make him the best player to come into the league in the last 5 seasons though.

I don't think we'll ever see a LeBron or Duncan type single player anticipated in the draft again given the way the game is played these days but I do think Ayton and Doncic are the most anticipated 1-2 since Oden-Durant.

Doncic has special talents that if they translate to the NBA could make him the best player to come into the league in the last 5 seasons though.
I disagree with both of your assumptions here. There will always be another great prospect, it just takes a very rare blend of size and skills. I agree that there wouldn't be the crazy hype for a traditional big like Duncan but if a young LeBron was in college people would be going crazy.

Also not in agreeance about this year's #1 and #2 being so hyped. Doesn't even seem like a forgone conclusion those guys will be the first two picks. I think what's so exciting about this draft is there are six legit guys up top.

People don't seem to get that there is a distinct difference between regular season and play off basketball. Sure Spurs won 50 odd games without Kawhi but how did they fare in the play-offs? Bounced out early? Why is it that when Spurs need a basket they go to a 40 year old Manu in an iso?

I am not saying ball movement is bad. I am not that stupid. Ball movement is absolutely what you want but when it comes to that play offs grind and that last possession, its when stars take over to either win it or go into the locker room with head down.

Warriors play with a lot of ball movement but when its down to that shot, that last possession, they go to their stars to create something out of iso. People might not like iso ball but the reality is, player's ability to score or create from iso is equally important as their ability to play as part of the team.

Please, lets not compare Doncic to Duncan. Duncan was a ready made superstar at the NBA level. He immediately became the face of the franchise despite Spurs having David Robinson who is one of the top 50 all time players. Teams tanked to get Tim Duncan. He had a bit of LeBron "hype" about him in his draft class. Here are Duncan's accomplishments in his rookie season
All-Star
All NBA 1st Team
NBA All Defensive 2nd Team
NBA ROY (including every single Rookie of the month award that season)
His averages in his rookie year were
21ppg 12 rpg 2.7apg 2.5bpg all that at 55% shooting. Pretty similar stats to those in his final year at Wake Forest.

One of the best two way players the moment he stepped foot on the NBA floor.

Nothing would make me happier than to see Luka get the same accolades but lets face it, if he were in the same league as Duncan was coming into his draft year, he would be out and out #1 pick and the rest of the NBA would be throwing all sorts of trade proposals to Phoenix to get him. Its pretty clear that is not the case here.

It doesn't mean that Doncic will not end up in the hall of fame and have a similar NBA career but odds are stacked against him.

On the Kings, yes we played Princeton style of basketball based on ball movement, cuts etc but Chris Webber was still the franchise player at the time. He was the face of the franchise and everything was built around him. Every player brought into that team was about how he would fit around the main guys. The team would go as far as Webber would take them. When Webber got trade and Vlade moved to Lakers for his retirement cheque the team struggled and did not look like sniffing the plays offs despite still playing a similar brand of basketball. Until they traded Peja for Ron Artest aka Metta World Peace.
Not true. When Webber missed the entire regular season, Kings still get the best regular season record. The team was not built around him. It was terrific team even without their best player. The team was built around Princeton offense.

A
Not true. When Webber missed the entire regular season, Kings still get the best regular season record. The team was not built around him. It was terrific team even without their best player. The team was built around Princeton offense.
And again team was bounced out in the second round of the play offs. Throughout the season is was not a good defensive team at all. Sacramento’s window closed when Webber did his knee.

A

And again team was bounced out in the second round of the play offs. Throughout the season is was not a good defensive team at all. Sacramento’s window closed when Webber did his knee.
All true, but it doesn't mean that the team was built around Webber. That year was also last year when Vlade and DC were productive. Next year Vlade finally showed his age and got injured (playing for Lakers), DC was traded and injured. Anyway, all that is not too relevant. What is important is that they built team to execute Princeton offense, and with Brad Miller instead of Webber it worked like a charm. Sure, Brad is slow compared to healthy Webber, so defense suffered.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I keep reading about the Kings being high on Porter but I have yet to see any sources or articles on this, am I missing something here? or does the media feel that they need a SF that badly that automatically they have Porter on their big board early?

I don't put too much stock in this mock based on there is no way Orlando passes on Trae Young........and. Just can't see Sac passing on Ayton
I am not convinced on Young being irresistible for Orlando. Their front office has changed. Their main man comes from the Bucks and if you look at Bucks' drafting history in his time there, they prefer length and athleticism. Even last year, they drafted Isaac. Young might fit on paper but its obvious to me that they are using the Bucks' drafting blueprint. If Michael Porter Junior is there at their pick, I would not be surprised if the pick him. Bamba is also a VERY good change to be picked up by Orlando.

That’s fine! I am not prepared to settle! If we went the full rebuild mode the do it right and not just to get there. Smarter FO would have gotten there with DMC and the blow up was not required but I digress.

I would rather be where Philadelphia are than where Jazz are. Both made the play offs but one of them has an enormous upside. The other is there making up the numbers. I know which one I would rather be!
That's a lot of confidence in a guy who actually hasn't even played a minute in a playoff game.

Hard for me to believe both Suns and Kings , pass on Ayton
But if Suns really plan on getting Clint, maybe suns do pick Luka

I dont think Kings pass on Luka for Porter
but if Luka is gone Kings might get Porter, we have no SF and 5 bigs
But personally, screw Fit, get Ayton as BPA and use Skal and all that cap Space to get a
Top of the line SF(Dont know Who or how)

Hard for me to believe both Suns and Kings , pass on Ayton
But if Suns really plan on getting Clint, maybe suns do pick Luka

I dont think Kings pass on Luka for Porter
but if Luka is gone Kings might get Porter, we have no SF and 5 bigs
But personally, screw Fit, get Ayton as BPA and use Skal and all that cap Space to get a
Top of the line SF(Dont know Who or how)
I'd be willing to bet that even if the Kings had some sort of deal struck to drop to 5 and take Porter, they'd more than likely abandon it if Ayton dropped to 2nd.

I keep reading about the Kings being high on Porter but I have yet to see any sources or articles on this, am I missing something here? or does the media feel that they need a SF that badly that automatically they have Porter on their big board early?
Jonathan Giovny the draftexpert from ESPN said the Kings were very interested in Porter Jr before they jumped up in the lotto at #2. Last week James Ham said that the Kings' interest in MPJ was very real. He talked to people in the FO. This was from his podcast.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Jonathan Giovny the draftexpert from ESPN said the Kings were very interested in Porter Jr before they jumped up in the lotto at #2. Last week James Ham said that the Kings' interest in MPJ was very real. He talked to people in the FO. This was from his podcast.
The key here seems to be "before we jumped to #2". I'll say, I was SUPER interested in Porter at #7, if he fell. Doesn't mean he's in my top two.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
All true, but it doesn't mean that the team was built around Webber. That year was also last year when Vlade and DC were productive. Next year Vlade finally showed his age and got injured (playing for Lakers), DC was traded and injured. Anyway, all that is not too relevant. What is important is that they built team to execute Princeton offense, and with Brad Miller instead of Webber it worked like a charm. Sure, Brad is slow compared to healthy Webber, so defense suffered.
Some of the older people on this board ;) who are the historians might want to validate or refute me on this, but if my early childhood memory serves, it was the offense that was built around the personnel, not vice versa.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It would surprise me if the Kings picked Porter at #2. Last year Divac picked Giles, an injured player with a good reputation and very little college experience, but it was with the 20th pick. This would be the #2 pick for a guy with virtually zero college ball and a back injury. Divac would have to have balls of titanium to make that pick. If he makes that pick, I sure hope it's because he thinks Porter is the second coming, not because Porter happens to play the small forward position. If he passes for bpa to draft for positional need, the chance of a good outcome dwindles.

What purpose does it serve for the Kings' staff to be talking to the media about Porter? Any ideas? The only thing I can come up with is that they don't want to let Phoenix know how interested in "X" player (Ayton? Doncic? Whomever?) so they are putting forth Porter's name. Or maybe they know of a team that is just dying to get Porter and they think they can up his trade value and then trade down? But is Porter a guy that is rising up the board of those in the top tier of the draft? Unless this is a situation in which they just have to blab to the press, I don't see where they are going with this just yet.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Some of the older people on this board ;) who are the historians might want to validate or refute my on this, but if my early childhood memory serves, it was the offense that was built around the personnel, not vice versa.
I think it was some of both. Rick Adelman coaches the motion offense. Some variation of that was going to be the system. But I don't think Geoff Petrie traded for Webber because he fit the offense, he traded for him because he was uber-talented and then Coach Adelman modified his system accordingly. Adelman was also gifted two rookies that first season -- Jason Williams and Peja Stojakovic and I guarantee you JWill's particular brand of playmaking was not what Pete Carril had in mind when he drew up the Princeton offense but he let him do his thing. Over time JWill was traded for Bibby, Corliss was traded for Doug Christie and the roster eventually became much more suited to the offense Rick Adelman wanted to run.

I don't know the history of how Vlade ended up signing with the Kings though and I would be curious if anyone here knows more. Was it because we drafted Peja? Was it because Geoff and Rick wanted a big man who could pass out of the high post? Was it just a happy accident that we ended up with the ideal passing frontcourt or were those guys deliberately targeted for their passing skills?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
It would surprise me if the Kings picked Porter at #2. Last year Divac picked Giles, an injured player with a good reputation and very little college experience, but it was with the 20th pick. This would be the #2 pick for a guy with virtually zero college ball and a back injury. Divac would have to have balls of titanium to make that pick. If he makes that pick, I sure hope it's because he thinks Porter is the second coming, not because Porter happens to play the small forward position. If he passes for bpa to draft for positional need, the chance of a good outcome dwindles.

What purpose does it serve for the Kings' staff to be talking to the media about Porter? Any ideas? The only thing I can come up with is that they don't want to let Phoenix know how interested in "X" player (Ayton? Doncic? Whomever?) so they are putting forth Porter's name. Or maybe they know of a team that is just dying to get Porter and they think they can up his trade value and then trade down? But is Porter a guy that is rising up the board of those in the top tier of the draft? Unless this is a situation in which they just have to blab to the press, I don't see where they are going with this just yet.
I don't think Phoenix cares all that much about what we're going to do. They're going to do what's best for them. If we are trying to look other teams off on either Ayton or Doncic it would be because we're worried about someone else trading up to get their guy. If Atlanta is absolutely dying to draft Doncic for instance to the point they're willing to trade multiple picks and Denis Schroeder for #1 maybe we convince them we want Porter and Phoenix tells them they're taking Ayton so they don't trade up and then we pick Doncic at #2 anyway. More likely I think the front office is just kicking the tires on a lot of players right now and Porter is one of the players under consideration.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Some of the older people on this board ;) who are the historians might want to validate or refute my on this, but if my early childhood memory serves, it was the offense that was built around the personnel, not vice versa.
I think it can be both ways, and it depends on where your starting. If you change management or your coaching staff, or perhaps both, and you decide to start from scratch, and you have a system you want to install as your base system, then you would try and draft players that best fit into that system. On the other hand if your the new management and you have an already established team in place, then as the incoming coach, you would try and build the best offense you can based on the current talent. Assuming that it's good talent.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I think it was some of both. Rick Adelman coaches the motion offense. Some variation of that was going to be the system. But I don't think Geoff Petrie traded for Webber because he fit the offense, he traded for him because he was uber-talented and then Coach Adelman modified his system accordingly. Adelman was also gifted two rookies that first season -- Jason Williams and Peja Stojakovic and I guarantee you JWill's particular brand of playmaking was not what Pete Carril had in mind when he drew up the Princeton offense but he let him do his thing. Over time JWill was traded for Bibby, Corliss was traded for Doug Christie and the roster eventually became much more suited to the offense Rick Adelman wanted to run.

I don't know the history of how Vlade ended up signing with the Kings though and I would be curious if anyone here knows more. Was it because we drafted Peja? Was it because Geoff and Rick wanted a big man who could pass out of the high post? Was it just a happy accident that we ended up with the ideal passing frontcourt or were those guys deliberately targeted for their passing skills?
I don't think it was an accident that all those players came together at the same time, including Webber, who was known to be a very good passing big man. And actually, I don't think that J. Will's game was a poor fit for the Princeton offense. J. Will was an outstanding passer. I think the problem Adelman had with him was that he was a bit too much of a loose canon at times, and he wasn't nearly as good at playing off the ball as Bibby turned out to be.

As to Vlade signing with us, I think it had to do with the fact that number one, it was the first time under Petrie that the Kings had money under the cap, and that they offered Vlade more than anyone else. Plus, there wasn't that much interest in Vlade who seemed to have his best years behind him, and, he wanted to return to the west coast. I think Petrie wanted him because he was the perfect fit for the Princeton offense as he was considered one of the best passing big men in the NBA at the time.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
IF there is any strategy to it at all (and I'm not in a position to say one way or the other) the goal is to show interest in all of the top prospects if you want to increase the potential trade value of the #2 pick. That's not to say you'd definitely trade it, but if teams have no idea which way the Kings will go and fall in love with a guy they think will be there at #3 or #4 or #5 etc it puts doubt in their mind that they can still get their guy without the Kings nabbing him first.

If this really is part of the strategy (and not just somebody leaking info) then you'd likely hear in the next couple weeks that the Kings love Bamba and Bagley and Jackson Jr and Doncic as well.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Petrie always said that he looked for offensively skilled players - guys who could shoot, handle, pass, score on different levels, play team defense etc.

Vlade was exactly his type of center and when he was a free agent (remember Vlade almost retired rather than report to Charlotte so I think he was looking to get back to California) the Kings had the money.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think it can be both ways, and it depends on where your starting. If you change management or your coaching staff, or perhaps both, and you decide to start from scratch, and you have a system you want to install as your base system, then you would try and draft players that best fit into that system. On the other hand if your the new management and you have an already established team in place, then as the incoming coach, you would try and build the best offense you can based on the current talent. Assuming that it's good talent.
My question was factual in nature: Did the Kings org create the system after the players or the players before the system back in the ol' Princeton offense days?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I don't think Phoenix cares all that much about what we're going to do. They're going to do what's best for them. If we are trying to look other teams off on either Ayton or Doncic it would be because we're worried about someone else trading up to get their guy. If Atlanta is absolutely dying to draft Doncic for instance to the point they're willing to trade multiple picks and Denis Schroeder for #1 maybe we convince them we want Porter and Phoenix tells them they're taking Ayton so they don't trade up and then we pick Doncic at #2 anyway. More likely I think the front office is just kicking the tires on a lot of players right now and Porter is one of the players under consideration.
That would seem more likely than Porter being the guy that everyone is talking about.

I was following Vlade at the time. He was traded for Kobe to Sharlote Hornets. When his contract expired he signed for Kings because he got the offer he coudn't resist and maybe because it was close to L.A. I can only guess what was motivation for Geoff Petrie. As a Hornet Divac already showed his passing skills alongside being full package that includes scoring, rebounding and even shotblocking. My guess is that he saw opportunity to acquire both CWeb and Vlade as cornerstones for motion offense.

Petrie always said that he looked for offensively skilled players - guys who could shoot, handle, pass, score on different levels, play team defense etc.

Vlade was exactly his type of center and when he was a free agent (remember Vlade almost retired rather than report to Charlotte so I think he was looking to get back to California) the Kings had the money.
That was before he had gone there. After two years, he actually wanted to stay, but they did not want to pay the price. They were famous at the time for unwillingnes to pay the price when their players hit the market. If I remember well, they also let bad Zo walk.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
My question was factual in nature: Did the Kings org create the system after the players or the players before the system back in the ol' Princeton offense days?
That would be tough to prove in any way given how much changed between the 1997-1998 season and the 1999 lockout shortened season.

Adelman came in as coach but the team also brought in Jason Williams, Chris Webber, Vlade Divac, Peja Stojakovic, Jon Barry, Scot Pollard and Vernon Maxwell. The only significant players on the roster from the previous season were Corliss, Funderburke and Tariq Abdul-Wahad.

If anything I'd say Adelman brought his offensive concepts, borrowed more heavily from the Princeton offense from Coachie and adapted to having two great passing bigs and an electric and unpredictable PG. Keep in mind that the Kings never really ran a pure Princeton offense. The high/low post sets and action at the elbow (that most teams have borrowed now) was always part of Adelman's scheme.

Clearly Adelman adjusted the offense based on his personnel. When Big Nasty was starting I don't think I ever saw he and Webber or Vlade run the two man game but it became a staple after Peja was the starting SF.

Last edited: