Grizzlies fire David Fizdale

dude12

Hall of Famer
Wait a minute. Haven't we been told how much better a coach Fisdale is in comparison to Joerger? :rolleyes:
My exact thoughts.......lmao......but snark aside, damn. I know Conley has been out but they aren't performing to expectations at all. He must have been some kind of awful.

Wow, who gets fired while missing their best player.

Would love him in Sac, great with young players and players seem to love playing for him.

The firing seems to be a reactionary and short-sighted move. Fizzdale seemed like a good coach and was highly touted as an assistant coach. Maybe this signals that the FO thinks that team should be a play off contender. Maybe they would be willing to trade us the pick next year for some assets? Koufos? George Hill? Get on the line Vlade!

Maybe G Hill and Zbo for 2019 unprotected pick, Parsons, and Brandon Wright? We send two vets, and take on Parsons' albatross contract in exchange for the pick.

edit: the pick is owed to Boston with a top 8 protection in 2019.

Last edited:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
so Grizz are taking a page out of the Kings' page and firing their head coach prematurely instead of looking at the awful team they have fielded out there to surround Conley & Gasol

Memphis has a bad FO. I think they've made extremely questionable moves.
  • Sign an injury prone regressed Chandler Parsons to 4 years $94million. He was mediocre in Dallas, but managed to get a monster contract. One of the worst contracts in the NBA. Barely plays any games, and when he does, he sucks.
  • Give Mike Conley a supermax 5 year $153million. Before his breakout last year, he's always been an average starting PG. He recently just tore his Achilles at 30yearsold... good luck.
  • Draft Hasheem Thabeet at #2
  • Draft Wade Baldwin at #16, only to waive him 1 year later
I also think Memphis would've been better off keeping Rudy...

I think Marc Gasol would disagree.
Fizdale upset his star player. Thats not a position you want to be in as a coach, especially when said star player has a good bond to the city, fans and FO.
I know you dont believe in Joergers ability to coach, but even if you dont like the system he runs or the rotations he prefers, you have to admit, that Joerger is able to create a relationship to his players.
He had a bond to Cousins. But he also is able to keep an artistic and more sensible dude like Willie in check, even though he benches him.
Players play hard for Joerger an they dont complain or act up. Even when Cousins felt betrayed by the Kings, he was finding kind words for Joerger.

You might have a point with some of your critique, but Joerger just has "it", when it comes to leading players. He is a players coach, which is important in todays league.

Firing Fizdale is a rushed and unnecessary decision by Memphis nonetheless. One of quite a few very bad decisions they made recently, like signing Parsons or letting Allen walk.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Memphis has a bad FO. I think they've made extremely questionable moves.
  • Sign an injury prone regressed Chandler Parsons to 4 years $94million. He was mediocre in Dallas, but managed to get a monster contract. One of the worst contracts in the NBA. Barely plays any games, and when he does, he sucks.
  • Give Mike Conley a supermax 5 year $153million. Before his breakout last year, he's always been an average starting PG. He recently just tore his Achilles at 30yearsold... good luck.
  • Draft Hasheem Thabeet at #2
  • Draft Wade Baldwin at #16, only to waive him 1 year later
I also think Memphis would've been better off keeping Rudy...
yikes! looking at that timeline makes me appreciate the Kings' front office that much more, especially since they now have stability in place.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Of note, Fizdale becomes the first Grizzlies head coach since 2009 to be given less than two full seasons. He is, on the other hand, the fifth head coach in the Memphis-era franchise history to be fired coming off a year that they made the playoffs. They've only had ten coaches since moving to Memphis, FWIW.

My exact thoughts.......lmao......but snark aside, damn. I know Conley has been out but they aren't performing to expectations at all. He must have been some kind of awful.
Their best player has been out and 23% of the roster cap belongs to Chandler Parsons, who is also injured.

Sounds like excuses. Joerger took a roster that had the most injuries ever and made it work.
Not having your BEST PLAYER isn't an excuse by any stretch man..And Fizdale didn't make it work prior? He got Mike Conley and Marc Gasol's best years out of them and got them 6 games with the Spurs with major injuries as well.

They were 8-12 before he got fired..it's not like they were 2-20

Not having your BEST PLAYER isn't an excuse by any stretch man..And Fizdale didn't make it work prior? He got Mike Conley and Marc Gasol's best years out of them and got them 6 games with the Spurs with major injuries as well.

They were 8-12 before he got fired..it's not like they were 2-20
You keep bringing up them missing their best player like it is a given that Conley is their best player. I think you would find many that would consider Gasol their best player. And you could make the argument that Tyreke has been better than Conley this season. The truth is that Conley wasn't playing that well before the injury and while he is missed, it hasn't impacted their play anywhere near as much as you are implying.

Conley is their best player and non disputable leader.
You do realize that just because you say it doesn't make it true.

Memphis has been centered around Gasol for years. It is no coincidence that as soon as Gasol spoke out that the coach was fired. Conley has never had that kind of power. And for the record, the word you were looking for is indisputable.

Memphis has been centered around Gasol for years. It is no coincidence that as soon as Gasol spoke out that the coach was fired. Conley has never had that kind of power. And for the record, the word you were looking for is indisputable.
Choosing between Gasol or Conley looks pointless to me. Both have been major factors for the Grizzlies in recent years and Conley's role has increased ever since. Both should be considered elite at their respective positions. Gasol is not slightly above average, he still easily is a Top-10 guy at his position . The same could be said about Conley, even though some might disagree.

Just because Fizdale was fired, it doesn't mean he is a bad coach. Last year Memphis did look impressive under his lead. And just because Joerger seems a bit slow sometimes to adapt, seems stubbornly loyal to some of his players and seems to have trust issues with young guys, it doesn't mean he is a bad coach either.
It doesn't have to be this black and white.

Fizdale might indeed be the more modern, more advanced X and O's type of coach. He might have a better grasp of the current playstyle of the league.
But Joerger, as far as I'm aware, never lost the trust of his players. His last year in Memphis was one of the most impressive examples of an injury riddled roster, still giving their all and everything for the team, the city and the coach.

We as Kings fans have to keep in mind, where we are coming from. We suffered through countless of completely inept, inexperienced or over the hill coaches, that repeatedly lost the trust of their rosters.

For SAC Joerger is a dramatic improvement, even though there are certainly things, that can be criticized or are difficult to understand from the perspective of a fan.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I watched that game vs SA last night and even the local announcers were saying that the team was playing harder this game. All that tells me is Fizdale had completely lost the team and not just Gasol. He lost that team 20 games into the season or 100 something games into his career and that includes a winning season the previous year.

Losing your team in such short fashion while you had a winning season last year, I think it's fair to question the guys ability as a head coach. Maybes a great assistant coach but not head coach material.

That's because Conley wouldn't ever do such a thing.

Why don't you try asking any Grizz fan. Or go venture over to their boards.

I watched that game vs SA last night and even the local announcers were saying that the team was playing harder this game. All that tells me is Fizdale had completely lost the team and not just Gasol. He lost that team 20 games into the season or 100 something games into his career and that includes a winning season the previous year.

Losing your team in such short fashion while you had a winning season last year, I think it's fair to question the guys ability as a head coach. Maybes a great assistant coach but not head coach material.
Lol that's entirely speculation. Of course a team is going to come out trying everything for a win on a 8 game losing streak and especially after having a significant change like a coach.

The fact every player is saying they were shocked or backing up the coach or even taking subtle shots at Gasol inclines me to believe he didn't lose the lockeroom.

Lol that's entirely speculation. Of course a team is going to come out trying everything for a win on a 8 game losing streak and especially after having a significant change like a coach.

The fact every player is saying they were shocked or backing up the coach or even taking subtle shots at Gasol inclines me to believe he didn't lose the lockeroom.
Part of being a head coach is keeping your team (especially the stars) behind you. According to Matt Moore and Sam Vecenie, Gasol and Fisdale haven't been on talking terms going back into last season. That is something he should have made an effort to fix, but didn't.

There are a lot of good Xs & Os guys around the league who couldn't be a head coach. Personally I think Fisdale will learn from this and not make that mistake again and have a good coaching career.

I wouldn't say he lost the team because they played harder for the new coach. I can't remember where I saw it but there's a stat that shows that a teams winning percentage goes way up when a coach is let go mid season and they play that first game for the new coach. After that first game, it normalizes.

Part of being a head coach is keeping your team (especially the stars) behind you. According to Matt Moore and Sam Vecenie, Gasol and Fisdale haven't been on talking terms going back into last season. That is something he should have made an effort to fix, but didn't.

There are a lot of good Xs & Os guys around the league who couldn't be a head coach. Personally I think Fisdale will learn from this and not make that mistake again and have a good coaching career.
Gasol reportedly had lockeroom problems with both Hollins and Joerger as well.

Some players are just hard to get along with.

The Griz have issues starting at the top with the ownership and the GM in his second non-consecutive stint. The Grit 'N' Grind Griz have been succeeding the past few years in spite of the issues in the organization, and the change in the meta of the league. Just do a little digging on some Memphis related sites.

I have read more than a few opinions that Coach Fiz wasn't the best X's and O's coach, was not playing the youth to at least adjust to this losing streak, let alone develop them. As for Gasol, I've read there was animosity there. After he was sat for the entire fourth quarter in a 98-88 home loss to the Nets, he expressed he "would not take this lying down" in his after game remarks. The coach was fired the next day.

http://www.slamonline.com/nba/marc-gasol-upset-fourth-quarter-benching/#e4pPEO1qYbIGSaO2.97

I wonder if his intention may even to have been to pressure for a trade, and instead the coach is fired. I guess we will see how long Marc is there going forward, and whether trying for a rebuild using Gasol would have been a better option.