Free Agency Open Thread (NBA and Kings!)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I stand by my statement. I would have signed less valuable veterans who have a lesser effect on winning so we can get another top tier talent in next years draft. I think people are underestimating how good Hill actually is. He's instantly our best player by a long shot. Him and ZBo are good enough to drop us in the lottery but not good enough to get us to the playoffs. I think the team with lesser veterans wins 25 games and lands us a top 3 pick. The team with these guys probably wins 30-32 and lands us closer to 10th in the draft. I just think it's a big mistake when the possible franchise player could be on the table for the taking next year. If this was next year and we picked a very talented kid and then signed these guys, I'd be all thumbs up for it. But we're a year too early.

I would have signed Lawson and some other older PF who could mentor the kids while keeping our draft slot.
You think it's a mistake. I (and a lot of others) think it's a BIG step in the right direction. We'll just have to see how it plays out. I do find it interesting, however, that the vast majority of opinions throughout the league are applauding Vlade and the Kings.

I stand by my statement. I would have signed less valuable veterans who have a lesser effect on winning so we can get another top tier talent in next years draft. I think people are underestimating how good Hill actually is. He's instantly our best player by a long shot. Him and ZBo are good enough to drop us in the lottery but not good enough to get us to the playoffs. I think the team with lesser veterans wins 25 games and lands us a top 3 pick. The team with these guys probably wins 30-32 and lands us closer to 10th in the draft. I just think it's a big mistake when the possible franchise player could be on the table for the taking next year. If this was next year and we picked a very talented kid and then signed these guys, I'd be all thumbs up for it. But we're a year too early.

I would have signed Lawson and some other older PF who could mentor the kids while keeping our draft slot.
I understand your point. And I agree to a point at least who we should have gone after at pg. I think someone like Randolph but at point. Either an older pg that can mentor but willing to accept going to the bench when fox is ready to take over. My goal was mentor pf, mentor pg, star sf. But my only disagreement is that this signing is end of the world. It's not milsap/Gallo signing. I think/hope they will help the rookies grow and if we win some games so be it. We have a lot of promising rookies/sophomores on the team and sooner or later we need vets to show them how to win.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Remember we still have to deal with the East. There are going to be a lot of bad teams in that conference that push us down the lottery order. Plus this is still going to be losing basketball. It's going to look the same as it has for the last few years.
No, it won't.

I agree with your sentiment mostly, but I have no clue how they'll do. Hill is a good player, but Fox should be starting. Get Fox "on the horse" immediately.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I have to agree - they're clearly guys brought in to make the young guys compete for minutes and hopefully mentor them. And at least Z-Bo is a Joerger guy through and through.

I actually like the signings because I am pretty sure neither guy is capable of stealing all the minutes from the young core even if they want to.
That's the best part. The rooks are going to have to live up to their potential to get minutes in a Joerger-led team. And when they do, everybody wins.

Agreed, will be annoyed if they don't bring the FAs off the bench - I want player development over wins. At a minimum have Fox start.
Hill will most likely start because better overall than Fox who is 19. If Fox starts and hope he does it simply means beat out Hill for starting job. Fox will not start no matter what just because #5 draft pick - has to earn it.

Hill will most likely start because better overall than Fox who is 19. If Fox starts and hope he does it simply means beat out Hill for starting job. Fox will not start no matter what just because #5 draft pick - has to earn it.
Yes.

Does anyone actually think we are going to botch the development of our #5 pick because we want to "win now"???

The NBA has changed and most players come into the league not really knowing the game because they are still so young. Look at baseball. It's normal for top draft picks (who come in young, like NBA) to spend at LEAST a year in the minors, and often 2-3.

Having a 19 year old lottery pick start behind very seasoned and professional WINNER of a point guard is fantastic.

Hill wasn't even on my radar but once again Vlade shows why he's the Vladfather.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
that starting line up makes me want to puke
Again, it's not about who starts. It's about who gets the minutes that matter the most. I truly think a few around here (and not you specifically) have become so enamored of the whole process of getting new players that you've honestly lost your minds. VERY FEW NBA rookies,even lottery picks, are NBA ready when they first come into the league. Our rookies especially, most of whom are one-year and out as far as college is concerned, are NOT ready to go up against the starting rosters they'll be facing (especially in the West). The idea that tossing them out there to sink or swim will bring out their best is just delusional.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Absolutely love the signings!

And I think anyone who is convincing themselves that ZBo and Hill are going to be the pieces that have the Kings playing mediocre 35-win ball and losing our high pick to the late lottery is fooling themselves. This team is still going to be very young. This team should be fun. But we still don't have a 7 foot 270 pound all-world talent angry human to personally carry us to those 35-win highs. We're going to be lousy in the W column.

These guys are good enough to ensure we don't lose nearly 70 games crushing the youngsters' confidence, good enough to mentor our future, good enough to teach our kids how to play and be pro at the NBA level. The wins won't come in bunches this year, especially in the slaughterhouse that is the West. But they're on their way.

I just don't understand what people want from this organization anymore. Some have been crying for the team to be blown up and restarted and so it has. 2/3 of our roster are rookies or 2nd year players, with WCS being the longest tenured King at 3 years .... and yet people still want to be in the lottery and lose games on purpose? What, has the last 11 years not been enough for you?

Folks, we are going to suck this year whether we try to or not. We are super super young and you know what? That's what young teams do, they lose, a lot. However, for the first time in many years, I am ok with that because there is a plan that is being followed and players are being developed properly without their confidence being shattered. We are supposed to lose and we certainly will. It's losing with a purpose though, it's losing to learn so you can win later.

Teach these guys to fight and play hard and not worry about how many games you win and who in the East sucks more than us. Who cares? Let the cards fall and see what happens. I want these kids to be taught right, THAT has been our biggest drawback in the last 10 years (along with drafting poorly to begin with). We have sucked at player development, but for the first time, I have full confidence that we have corrected that issue and I look forward to the kids learning on the fly. It's going to be fun and I already know I will enjoy next season more so than I have the last 10.

Just enjoy the game and the progress we have made the last couple of years. It's what we all have been waiting for.

Do you have any idea what player development means?
Player development to me means giving young players time despite their mistakes - like what they did with McClemore. Well that may have been an over-abundance of development. It also means opening up and not restricting the bench and rotation. Joerger has a difficult job ahead of him.

If Fox is the "future of the franchise", I think he ought to start, day 1 - and they need to run him through the paces as soon as possible. I dont however have a problem in blending out the minutes to Hill and even Mason.

That could only happen if porter demands a sign and trade now.

I don't think porter is coming.

Most likely he informed the Kings and thus they signed hill and ZBo.
Yeah I'm not a cap nerd so I don't know the details. The Bogdanovich thing I think though may not count as a cap hit the same way UFA or RFAs do.

So maybe we go over the cap a bit to sign Porter.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Player development to me means giving young players time despite their mistakes - like what they did with McClemore. Well that may have been an over-abundance of development. It also means opening up and not restricting the bench and rotation. Joerger has a difficult job ahead of him.
OMFG. Yeah, that whole "player development" experience with Ben McLemore is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. He couldn't have been handled more poorly if they were intentionally trying to sabotage his career.

You give players time when they earn it. And when do they earn it? In practice, when they go all out against the vets and show how hungry they are. You put them into game situations with a "walk before you run" attitude. You reward their successes with more minutes. You have mentors who help them hone their skills.

I just don't understand what people want from this organization anymore. Some have been crying for the team to be blown up and restarted and so it has. 2/3 of our roster are rookies or 2nd year players, with WCS being the longest tenured King at 3 years .... and yet people still want to be in the lottery and lose games on purpose? What, has the last 11 years not been enough for you?

Folks, we are going to suck this year whether we try to or not. We are super super young and you know what? That's what young teams do, they lose, a lot. However, for the first time in many years, I am ok with that because there is a plan that is being followed and players are being developed properly without their confidence being shattered. We are supposed to lose and we certainly will. It's losing with a purpose though, it's losing to learn so you can win later.

Teach these guys to fight and play hard and not worry about how many games you win and who in the East sucks more than us. Who cares? Let the cards fall and see what happens. I want these kids to be taught right, THAT has been our biggest drawback in the last 10 years (along with drafting poorly to begin with). We have sucked at player development, but for the first time, I have full confidence that we have corrected that issue and I look forward to the kids learning on the fly. It's going to be fun and I already know I will enjoy next season more so than I have the last 10.

Just enjoy the game and the progress we have made the last couple of years. It's what we all have been waiting for.

NBA 2K has ruined fanhood.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Teach these guys to fight and play hard and not worry about how many games you win and who in the East sucks more than us
. Who cares? Let the cards fall and see what happens. I want these kids to be taught right, THAT has been our biggest drawback in the last 10 years (along with drafting poorly to begin with). We have sucked at player development, but for the first time, I have full confidence that we have corrected that issue and I look forward to the kids learning on the fly. It's going to be fun and I already know I will enjoy next season more so than I have the last 10.

THANK YOU!!!

Yes.

Does anyone actually think we are going to botch the development of our #5 pick because we want to "win now"???

The NBA has changed and most players come into the league not really knowing the game because they are still so young. Look at baseball. It's normal for top draft picks (who come in young, like NBA) to spend at LEAST a year in the minors, and often 2-3.

Having a 19 year old lottery pick start behind very seasoned and professional WINNER of a point guard is fantastic.

Hill wasn't even on my radar but once again Vlade shows why he's the Vladfather.
Listening to fox after the first practice he said he is still trying to learn "the language." I think fox has some preparation mentally and more important physically to be a starting point guard inthe west. What i mean is he is going to need to add some strength. Blazing speed lways helps but physically i dont think he should START yet. Of course no body wants to see his (or other rookies) hampered

I actually think this is the perfect year to take that jump toward winning mentality and win over 30 games. The west is so stacked it'll prob take 50 wins to get into the playoffs. If we somehow end the year around .500 (I know it's unlikely but wishful thinking)we prob keep our pick and have something to build off of. I'm so tired of watching losing basketball and don't want our young guys to accept losing.
How is this the perfect year when we have our pick next year but not in '19? How isnt '19 the perfect year?

I, for one, am beyond pumped to see what happens. How will Fox lead this team? Which Harry Giles are we getting? How will the vets and kids respond/play off of each other? Who will be getting the minutes in the 2nd half of the season?

This is all exciting stuff to watch out for. I am very pleased with this offseason!

OMFG. Yeah, that whole "player development" experience with Ben McLemore is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. He couldn't have been handled more poorly if they were intentionally trying to sabotage his career.

You give players time when they earn it. And when do they earn it? In practice, when they go all out against the vets and show how hungry they are. You put them into game situations with a "walk before you run" attitude. You reward their successes with more minutes. You have mentors who help them hone their skills.
Practice is nice but not the whole picture. You can't evaluate players on practice alone and shouldn't. Young players need bona-fide playing time, and much of it. You can't fully get that in practice. Now if a young player continually makes the same mistakes over-and-over in practice, or a game despite coaching, then yes pull him or restrict him. No substitution for in-game playing time.