Who do we draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chad Ford is at it again with the sone agents might want their clients to avoid working out here. Last year it didn't seem a huge issue as we had a later pick at 8, though to my knowledge really only brought in Baldwin. It was particularly embarrassing the year before when players like Winslow worked out for teams slotted 4/5/7/8 with us at 6. How big of a problem will this be? Normally I'd say if you don't want to be here we don't want you here but there is a consensus 11 with us picking 10. Nice to see guys like Fox though already saying non negative things
would be unfortunate...yet again. Kings will probably have 2 picks in the top 10. would be a crapty of the Kings if they couldn't draw in talents for the workouts.

I know we already have three young bigs but honestly I would be happy if we took Zach Collins. He just fits the modern game so well. 7 ft tall, mobile, athletic, can shoot from the outside, good hands, good touch, defensive timing. If we are looking 3-5 years down the line Skal, WCS, Collins, Papa? Can be a frontline that can really attack small ball if the league keeps trending that way. With that said the more i research the top 10-12 of this draft its pretty easy to be optimistic about anyone we take. It seems we will likely be in a position where we just take whoever drops to us.
I agree with you on this, but another way to look at it is that it might actually be worthwhile for a top 3 team to trade down with the Kings. Normally, I would say there isn't a chance in hell for a trade up to the top 3, but maybe it might be different with this draft.

Depending on how the draft plays out, I can see Vlade taking Issac, DSJ, or Frank N at #8. And depending on who is at #10, trading down and picking up a later 1st round pick, a future 1st round pick (2019) and a young player with upside (the same return as last year's moving back from #8 to #13 in a top heavy 8 prospect draft).

I think that if the Kings target is not there at #10, I could see Vlade trading with Chicago to pick up Cameron Payne and the #16 pick and a future 2019 first rounder.

At #16, he would try to pick, hopefully either a PG Jawan Evans or a SF, OG Anunoby, Justin Jackson or Rodions Kurucs.

Vlade has been long rumored to be enamored with Cameron Payne and a trade down may help him land him. If Chicago covets someone in the top 11, the going rate for a top 10 pick (in a top heavy 10-11 prospect draft) should be similar to what Vlade got for moving back from #8 to #13 last year.

Depending on how the draft plays out, I can see Vlade taking Issac, DSJ, or Frank N at #8. And depending on who is at #10, trading down and picking up a later 1st round pick, a future 1st round pick (2019) and a young player with upside (the same return as last year's moving back from #8 to #13 in a top heavy 8 prospect draft).
I think that if the Kings target is not there at #10, I could see Vlade trading with Chicago to pick up Cameron Payne and the #16 pick and a future 2019 first rounder.
At #16, he would try to pick, hopefully either a PG Jawan Evans or a SF, OG Anunoby, Justin Jackson or Rodions Kurucs.
Vlade has been long rumored to be enamored with Cameron Payne and a trade down may help him land him. If Chicago covets someone in the top 11, the going rate for a top 10 pick (in a top heavy 10-11 prospect draft) should be similar to what Vlade got for moving back from #8 to #13 last year.
That's a nice trade for us, but I'm not sure Chicago takes it. They're in a weird state right now where there's a very good chance they blow it all up and trade Butler. If that happens, then their 2019 pick is going to be really valuable. A realistic tradeback could be 10+34 for Portland's 15+20+26

I guess the agents and the rookies didnt get the memo that we are headed in the right direction.
Yeah it doesn't make much sense to me. I know the Kings have been the most disorganize franchise of the past decade, but we're in a rebuild with nothing but young players surrounding. Agents are obviously smarter than me without the bias, but we have 2 top 10 lotto picks. Guaranteed $$$, and would have no problem paying the full scale. We're currently without a franchise player, and will give the opportunity for any player who can step up, to become one. So when you're talking long-term, this player could become a MAX franchise player.. lots of money talking. Back in 2002, Sacramento was still a small market, but the NBA world was very different. The Kings were 10th overall in team jersey sales. http://www.nba.com/news/jerseys_021205.html

I'm biased when it comes to Isaac, and I saw him play a lot. Most of his lack of offense came from the system he was playing in. It was frustrating to watch most of Florida St.'s games because of the the substitution pattern they used. Their offense was dominated by their guards. Think Derrick Favors in college. He hardly touched the ball, and if you didn't watch a ton of games, you would have thought he had little to no offense. Isaac is a far better ball handler than Anunoby, and has more game away from the basket than Anunoby. Look, I'm not trying to disparage Aunnoby. I really like him, I just happen to think that Isaac has a higher overall ceiling.

Let me put it this way. I think Isaac has a chance to be a star in the league. I can't say the same thing about Anunoby. But hey, I could be dead wrong. One thing I can't argue about is who has the NBA body. Anunoby wins that contest hands down. The way I look at it, is that Isaac is the prize, and Anunoby is good alternative if you can't get him. As for as his build and lack of strength, lets remember that Durant weighed about a buck ninety-five coming out of college, and couldn't bench press 185 pounds one time at the combine. He turned out pretty good. Not saying it can't be an issue, but it's not my biggest concern.
Im mostly playing devil's advocate with Isaac as I'm just trying to narrow down my top guys for us in this draft, which is insanely difficult with so much talent. I still really like him as a talent and think he can offer that same defensive versatility that Anunoby brings; just not as good. I'm kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum with Isaac though; I think he's going to be a really good player and pretty much guaranteed to be a contributor, but more in the vein of a Trevor Ariza/Otto Porter type of ceiling rather than a KD/Paul George type of ceiling.

Barring someone like Ball or Tatum falling, here's my big board for us.

1. Fox
2. Zach Collins
3. Isaac
4. Ntilikina
5. O.G Anunoby

The Chad Ford quote:
Multiple NBA agents told me that they were determined to keep their clients from working out for Sacramento.

It would be malpractice to let my clients play for them,” one longtime agent said. “I’ve had clients there. It’s still the most dysfunctional front office in the league, by a mile. How can you trust those guys with one of your players? It’s going to take a long time to build that trust.

I don't think many people think Isaac is going to be a Paul George type player. A 3 and D guy with lock down defense is what most are assuming he will amount to. Tatum is the guy that could turn out like PG.

I know we already have three young bigs but honestly I would be happy if we took Zach Collins. He just fits the modern game so well. 7 ft tall, mobile, athletic, can shoot from the outside, good hands, good touch, defensive timing. If we are looking 3-5 years down the line Skal, WCS, Collins, Papa? Can be a frontline that can really attack small ball if the league keeps trending that way. With that said the more i research the top 10-12 of this draft its pretty easy to be optimistic about anyone we take. It seems we will likely be in a position where we just take whoever drops to us.
Preaching to the choir here. I honestly think he's one of the most talented players in this draft, but isn't getting the hype because he came off the bench. His true positional versatility is so valuable in today's game and we can easily pair him with any one of our current bigs and it be an effective pairing. Love the potential Fox-Collins with our current core brings.

The Chad Ford quote:
Multiple NBA agents told me that they were determined to keep their clients from working out for Sacramento.

It would be malpractice to let my clients play for them,” one longtime agent said. “I’ve had clients there. It’s still the most dysfunctional front office in the league, by a mile. How can you trust those guys with one of your players? It’s going to take a long time to build that trust.
Maybe quote from DMC's agents. :rolleyes:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Maybe Chad Ford will retroactively change his report like he did his mock draft boards.
I can honestly say that I don't give a tinkers damm what Chad Ford thinks. I have serious doubts that he's ever seen one of these college kids play a game. I suppose that he has to have something to talk about, and the Kings have been one of his favorite subjects for the past few years.

What I'd really like to know is how many players with Diallo's measurables did NOT pan out in the NBA. That would be a fascinating stat to know.
I think what it comes down to with Diallo is whether he has a good skill set or not. For that reason, I think his workouts will be more important than for most players. He's the mystery man, but if he can show he can shoot the ball, and has good handles, his stock will rise significantly. His athleticism is a big plus, but skill are equally important. Hard to find a player that athletically gifted who is also very skilled. According to an atricle on the comcast website, Diallo is one of the players that the Kings are bringing in to work out.

Regarding Chad Ford, he already has his walking papers. Just going through the motions of what he's done for 17 years. Not to mention the teams hold the cards for the most part. The players/agents having all the power is an illusion based on a small number of outliers.

Looking forward to knowing for sure where we stand after the lottery. So many interesting prospects at various skill levels.

Great Video showing off Collins jumper and his form on his shot. Very clean and repeatable motion.

Also he's been apparently told he'd be drafted "8-20". Excellent
Well, as you know, I don't need convincing. I've been touting him for most of the college season. He's very skilled for a seven footer, but what I really like about him is that he plays with an edge. He's mentally tough and a total team guy. I can see him easily playing the stretch four position, and center if needed. I keep asking myself if Skal can play the three? My gut says no, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to experiment in summer league and training camp. Sure would make for a hell of a front line with Willie, Zach, and Skal.

That said, I would prefer Isaac, but there's the possibility that he's gone. Right now, Smith is projected to be available when we pick. But if he starts dazzling people in his workouts, what happens if Fultz, Ball, Smith, and Fox, all go in the top five That would leave Monk, Tatum, Isaac, Ntilikina, and Markkanen. If Tatum and Isaac go next, that leaves us with Monk, Markkanen, Ntilikina, and of course Collins as our choices. At that point, if we really have our heart set on a PG, we have to take Ntilikina at 8, which I think is a bit of a reach. I can't see us taking Monk. I like him but I think he's best suited as a sixth man off the bench, and I think we want more than that at 8. Either way, in that scenario, I see us taking Collins at either 8 or at 10. I think Collins is a better all around player than Markkanen.

Bajaden what do you think about Tatum? He obviously high on all the mocks but every year someone falls. Maybe Kings are lucky and he falls in their lap
I know you asked Mr. Baja but I just want to chime in real quick. I think he's the guy who falls and I would consider letting him keep falling even if he's on the board when the Kings are on the clock. He has alot of Rudy/Melo in his game but league is trending away from that style of play.

Bajaden what do you think about Tatum? He obviously high on all the mocks but every year someone falls. Maybe Kings are lucky and he falls in their lap
Well I've already posted my thoughts on Tatum, but in short, I like him. I think he has a chance to be a star in the league. He's a good athlete and already has an NBA body. My only knock on him is his tendency to be a bit of a ball stopper. However, I hate to label a player at such a young age. He's shown the ability to defend, but he's not as good a defender as Isaac. If you watched him throughout his college season you would come away thinking that he's the prototypical NBA SF. He has all the tools, its just a matter if he can reach his total potential. I think he has a very high floor. Which makes him an almost can't miss prospect.

I know you asked Mr. Baja but I just want to chime in real quick. I think he's the guy who falls and I would consider letting him keep falling even if he's on the board when the Kings are on the clock. He has alot of Rudy/Melo in his game but league is trending away from that style of play.
That's what I was referring to when I said he was a bit of a ball stopper. However, to be fair to him, the last third of the season he really improved in that area. And as I've said, if he''s coachable, there's no reason he can't change his game to fit the needs or style of the team that drafts him.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If someone could sum up the csnbayarea link above I would appreciate it. That site doesnt load right for me currently.
An unnamed source from Fultz's camp says Fultz would be fine going to Sacramento and thinks Sacramento is a fine place for a young player to develop.

B.J. Armstrong, representing Josh Jackson, also has no qualms about Sacramento.

Aaron Mintz, an agent for CAA, says all of his clients projected to go in the top 20 or so (Ntilikina, John Collins, Donovan Mitchell, Kennard) will work out in Sacramento and he hopes one or more will be selected by Sacramento.

In addition to those players, it is expected that at least Fox, Smith Jr., Leaf, Adebayo, and Diallo will work out in Sac.

Basically the whole piece fights the idea that Sac is toxic for agents.

If someone could sum up the csnbayarea link above I would appreciate it. That site doesnt load right for me currently.
Basically the article was about how the Kings are being perceived differently with the new additions to management. I'll see if I can cut and past some of the relevant contents for you.

Here you go:

"Last summer they added Ken Catanella as an assistant general manager to help support Divac and his growing team. Veteran NBA executive Scott Perry joined the fray following the 2016-17 season to help pull it all together.

Divac, flanked by Perry and Catanella, as well as holdovers Mike Bratz and Peja Stojakovic and the rest of the basketball operations staff, made their way to Chicago for the NBA’s annual Draft Combine for an all hands on deck approach. In past years, the Kings have had trouble getting consideration from elite prospects, let alone an interview with a top tier player. That all seems to be changing.

Not only did Markelle Fultz, the player most believe will go with the top overall pick, sit down with the Kings brass, Sacramento got the first crack at an interview with the guard from Washington. Perry, the team’s new executive vice president of basketball operations has ties to the Fultz camp, which is usually the way this all works.

According to a source inside of Fultz’ camp, the 19-year-old point guard would have no problems joining the Sacramento Kings if that’s how the cards fall. Fultz is a gym rat. His primary focus as a young man is basketball and Sacramento is an environment that allows a player to mature into his roll without the bright lights of the big city.

“I think Sacramento is a good place to grow,” the source said.

Josh Jackson, another top five candidate out of Kansas, is represented by former All-Star and World Champion, B.J. Armstrong. Armstrong, a former teammate of Divac, isn’t counting out the Kings.

“Vlade and Scott Perry, they are as sharp as anybody in this league,” Armstrong told NBC Sports California. “They’re going to be fine.”

Armstrong spent the 1997-98 season as a member of the Charlotte Hornets with Divac and considers him, “One of the best teammates I’ve ever had.”

As for Perry, Armstrong said, “his track record of success speaks for itself.” Both Detroit natives, Armstrong said that he and Perry have known each other for years.

If the Kings found themselves in the top five, would Armstrong shy away from bringing Jackson to Sacramento for a visit?

“If other people see problems, we see enormous opportunity,” Armstrong told NBC Sports California about Sacramento.

Armstrong was clear - you come in the league as a player, but it is the prospects who strive to become professionals that succeed. Professionals can succeed anywhere.

“If you love to compete, there’s nothing to run away from,” Armstrong said.

Fultz will listen. So will Jackson. But that’s not where it ends.

“We have as a company (CAA), four or five guys that are going in the top 20,” agent Aaron Mintz told NBC Sports California. “They will all be going to Sacramento and we are very hopeful that the Kings will take one if not two of them.”

CAA represents Frank Ntilikina, John Collins, Donovan Mitchell and Luke Kennard, as well as plenty of others in this year’s draft.

“When you have good people who work hard and are passionate and honest, good things usually happen,” Mintz said of the Kings.

Like Armstrong, Mintz has known Perry for years. They have a relationship that is built on decades of trust. The fact that Perry is now with the Kings doesn't change that, either during the draft or when free agency opens on July 1.

“It’s not just the draft, even in free agency this is an organization our clients are going to look at,” Mintz said. “It’s a credit to Vlade, Scott and Ken.”

Sacramento offers a wide open opportunity at most positions. They have a young core in Buddy Hield, Skal Labissiere, Malachi Richardson, Georgios Papagiannis and Willie Cauley-Stein, but the point guard and small forward spots are there for the taking.

Kentucky’s De'Aaron Fox, another player expected to go in the top of the lottery, met with Sacramento over the weekend. He probably won’t make it to picks 8 or 10 where the Kings are projected to select, but even as a 19-year-old college kid, he can see the opportunity.

“They just feel like if they’re able to get a point guard, somebody who can run the team, they feel like they could do something special,” Fox told reporters after meeting with the Kings. “But like I said, that division is really hard. You’re going to have to have a point guard that’s ready to play every night to do something in that division.”

NBC Sports California has learned that there is a very good chance that Fox, Kennard, T.J. Leaf, Bam Adebayo, Dennis Smith and Hamadou Diallo will all visit Sacramento for pre-draft workouts. Ntilikina is still playing in the playoffs with his European team, leaving his draft workout status in flux."

gunks

Hall of Famer
Wow, an article with positive quotes about our FO? Crazy!

It's interesting that we're sitting down with Fultz. I don't really see a lot of scenarios where we have a chance to land him, but who knows? Vlade was pretty active last draft and did a damn good job once the dust settled.

I'm sure the rumor mill will start cooking once the lotto order is set.

@bajaden
@Capt. Factorial

Thank you both kindly.

Very interesting read. Our reputation will of course take time to mend, but these are definitely signs of improvement. I hold out hope our front office can pull a rabbit out of the hat and move us into position to land a top tier rookie. If not I think we are still in promising shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.