PG for the Kings

Would anyone be willing to trade Ben for MCW straight up? It works on trade machine...

Hear me out. Yes he's limited and makes poor decisions, but he's still young and he's huge for a PG and would fit right in with what we are trying to do. He's SG size, so defensively there is hope. Also Ben is not doing anything for us and will now be buried on the bench. You could do worse than MCW as a backup.
I'd move Ben for basically everyone who can walk and breathe at the same time. So yes, I'd do that trade.

Another PG I forgot to mention is Brian Roberts who has shown he can play well as a fill in starter in New Orleans he's currently in Portland where they really have no use for him unless there's a injury to CJ or Lillard. I know a lot of people on here are really high on Pat Bev but I'm actually hoping the Pelicans also waive Tony Douglas who fits the mould of a ultra scrapper who can shoot it a bit. Tony Douglas along with Temple would be a fairly good defensive back up duo to go along with Barnes/Casspi and maybe Toliver as a undersized C (assuming Koufos is traded) for floor spacing.
Welcome back! Long time no see. What's your take on Beverley if we get him in a deal for Koufos?

Beverley is not a D'Antoni PG, at all.

Of course Harden is a problematic figure on that front, and Beverley fits next to him, so we'll see. Would have thought GMs (or in this case the owner) would have learned from the New York and Lakers periods, but wisdom is not a highly sought after trait in the NBA.

The problem is, even if you wanted Beverley, we can't offer him a more D'Antoni PG figure (a sign and trade with Rondo actually would have been closer, sans shooting), and even if we could that player would not fit next to Harden's ballhoggery.
That's why I thought we could get them Calderon in a three way deal with the Bulls. I learned however that a deal is complicated because Calderon can't be packaged with other players.

Guys I expect the Kings to get - Toney Douglas, Mario Chalmers or Norris Cole - All pretty good defending PG's who can shoot. One of them could backup Collison and I suppose start for 5 games or so.

Rubio is a good defender and who knows if he wants to be here. Thibs may want to Keep Rubio around and probably should for the best playoff hopes for the TPups. I would still like to pry Cam Payne away from OKC but they will probably want to keep him and rebuild with a youth movement.

It pretty much comes down to trading for Douglas, Chalmers or Cole. Jarrett Jack is out there, I wonder where he is at on his injury recovery?

This would be a great time for some kid to come out of Summer League and surprise us all:)

Last edited:
That's why I thought we could get them Calderon in a three way deal with the Bulls. I learned however that a deal is complicated because Calderon can't be packaged with other players.
Bulls are prob going to waive Calderon if they get wade, he would then be much cheaper (exemption?)

Also they interviewed Lawson and asked if he would want to come to sac, he said of course. It was also reported that we have not contacted Lawson.

We have options what we need is patience!

One thing about Lawson is that he is COMPLETELY the opposite to what we targeted this free agency and draft period. He doesn't provide length. He is not a good defender. He is not a scrapper. If Karl was our coach he would want him but Lawson is so opposite to what Joerger is looking for.

Joerger is on record that we want to build a scrappy, defensive minded team that play for each other and care for each other. Everyone and I mean everyone on our list is either long, scrappy or known or has been known as a good defender.

All the players we drafted bring length. All the players we agreed to terms are known as good defenders (though Afflalo has not been a defender he once was but he at least has a reputation as a solid defender).

Chalmers is no doubt a risk for us but he is the type of PG that we would be looking for. Good to great defender, solid passer that can shoot the 3.
True, Joerger has decided what he wants to build here and I'm on board with that. However, sometimes even scrappy teams could do with a player like Ty Lawson who can score and make passes to open up opportunities for others. At his best he was a borderline all star. If he can return to that form we would have that upgrade at PG we desire without having to give anything up.

His defense, length and style certainly don't fit what we've brought in or what Joerger wants. So if he prefers Chalmers or someone else, I can get on board with that if he only wants players that tick the boxes he wants to tick. Equally if he wants to package some players to bring someone in, that's great. But if we want a low risk, high reward addition, Lawson fits the bill.

...Rubio is a good defender and who knows if he wants to be here...
Back when he was on the verge of entering the NBA, Rubio definitely wanted to be in Sacramento. He balked at Minnesota, but was said to value the cultural diversity of Sactown and felt he'd enjoy living there. As for now, who knows...does he feel spurned because we passed on him and took Tyreke Evans? Or is this a chance to be where he's always wanted to be? I'm guessing not the latter, or there would have been more chatter leaking from his camp by now.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bulls are prob going to waive Calderon if they get wade, he would then be much cheaper (exemption?)

Also they interviewed Lawson and asked if he would want to come to sac, he said of course. It was also reported that we have not contacted Lawson.

We have options what we need is patience!
Vlade is quite correctly convinced Lawson is an idiot.

And as has been noted 100% not how we have been building this summer.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I'd move Ben for basically everyone who can walk and breathe at the same time. So yes, I'd do that trade.
Well I would hope the answer to that proposal for just about anybody would be "of course I would, but why would they?"

Unlike Lawson MCW is, BTW, very much in the spirit of the sort of long defensive players we have been acquiring. A mess, but would sort of complete the picture in a way. Colison would be the designated change of pace, everybody else would be fullsize able to disrupt and switch.

Last edited:
Would anyone be willing to trade Ben for MCW straight up? It works on trade machine...

Hear me out. Yes he's limited and makes poor decisions, but he's still young and he's huge for a PG and would fit right in with what we are trying to do. He's SG size, so defensively there is hope. Also Ben is not doing anything for us and will now be buried on the bench. You could do worse than MCW as a backup.
I was thinking the same thing. Similar to the Burke idea--swap 2013 draft disappointments, each team gets to try something new for a season.

I'm not sure the Bucks would be interested, although Kidd doesn't seem to trust MCW and they could use a SG with Mayo suspended. But they might need a PG even more.

As for us, seems like a worthy roll of the dice. His length and defensive potential certainly fits what we've been building this summer.

I'd try Ben for Thabo and see what Atlanta has to say.

How about DMC for Russell Westbrook
no freaking way.

lets see how good russ is w/o KD.

we've stacked the deck with some players who can play D this offseason.

boogie, WCS, barnes, temple, (collison? beverly thru trade?)

can't wait til the season starts and see how we stack up against some of the better teams.

I don't believe Rubio can be had for that.

I'm beginning to wonder if a Gay/Tyreke trade might not be on the table.
What do you think it would take for Rubio? I'll be perfectly honest that I have no idea what his trade value is. I thought it had lowered significantly but I didn't really pay attention to his play last year since my team soured me on the NBA in general

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
What do you think it would take for Rubio? I'll be perfectly honest that I have no idea what his trade value is. I thought it had lowered significantly but I didn't really pay attention to his play last year since my team soured me on the NBA in general
I think it probably takes at least Gay. There was some talk around draft time that Minny was willing to move him - if the other team also took on Pekovic's dead salary. But I'm not entirely sure that he's really on the market. Yes, Minny drafted Dunn, but are they really going to hand the reins over and give Dunn a starting job from day one? I don't know. They're at the point where I think they need to start winning. With Towns/Wiggins/Dunn and pieces like LaVine/Dieng/Muhammad I don't think they really want another year in the lottery, and the best way to ensure that is probably to go forward with a proven vet at the point. If they trade Rubio, they're looking at Dunn/LaVine/Tyus Jones at the point, and I can't believe they're really fans of the LaVine at PG experiment, and Jones hasn't shown anything yet. They've signed Rush, so they've got quite a few wings so Rudy wouldn't be that much of a temptation. I just kind of figure that Rubio isn't really on the block.

New Orleans on the other hand, has Holiday/Tyreke/Toney Douglas (unguaranteed) and they sing E'Twaun Moore and Galloway - they may be moving a guy and they've been looking for a SF for a long time. Rudy/Tyreke or Rudy/Jrue might be a logical swap.

no freaking way.

lets see how good russ is w/o KD.

we've stacked the deck with some players who can play D this offseason.

boogie, WCS, barnes, temple, (collison? beverly thru trade?)

can't wait til the season starts and see how we stack up against some of the better teams.
Actually, Westbrook is barely better than Cousins if you take KD away....

I think it probably takes at least Gay. There was some talk around draft time that Minny was willing to move him - if the other team also took on Pekovic's dead salary. But I'm not entirely sure that he's really on the market. Yes, Minny drafted Dunn, but are they really going to hand the reins over and give Dunn a starting job from day one? I don't know. They're at the point where I think they need to start winning. With Towns/Wiggins/Dunn and pieces like LaVine/Dieng/Muhammad I don't think they really want another year in the lottery, and the best way to ensure that is probably to go forward with a proven vet at the point. If they trade Rubio, they're looking at Dunn/LaVine/Tyus Jones at the point, and I can't believe they're really fans of the LaVine at PG experiment, and Jones hasn't shown anything yet. They've signed Rush, so they've got quite a few wings so Rudy wouldn't be that much of a temptation. I just kind of figure that Rubio isn't really on the block.

New Orleans on the other hand, has Holiday/Tyreke/Toney Douglas (unguaranteed) and they sing E'Twaun Moore and Galloway - they may be moving a guy and they've been looking for a SF for a long time. Rudy/Tyreke or Rudy/Jrue might be a logical swap.
Good points. I'd be fine with the NO deals...and possibly be more inclined to trade for a Holiday vs. Tyreke

Actually, Westbrook is barely better than Cousins if you take KD away....
comparison is hilarious. situations are not even the same. pair cousins with another top 10 talent, with an owner who doesn't step on his own feet when walking, with teammates that know how to play, a coach who actually can coach and then lets stack em against each other. actually... lol smh