[Game] Spurs @ Kings (pre-season) discussion - 10/8/15

I wanted to touch on a couple of things that I've seen so far.

Omri Casspi? I'd have to say he's pretty much expendable at this point. We have Belinelli, a much better player, who can do anything that Omri does, but better. We've seen countless turnovers, one that I'm particularly fuming over simply due to the fact that it caused DMC to get posterized. Aside from that, Casspi is just a mediocre basketball player who more often than not, hurts his team with his presence, as opposed to giving those minutes to someone else. I'd rather have James Anderson, who knows his role and doesn't try to do too much, be given a chunk of Omri's minutes during the regular season.

Caron Butler? I know it's just the pre-season but gosh this guy is really just a shell of his former self. Seeing him get minutes at PF tonight was horrendous.

Seeing as how the Spurs will be in town tomorrow I'm anxious to see what kind of line-ups coach Karl continues to experiment with.

Omri Casspi? I'd have to say he's pretty much expendable at this point. We have Belinelli, a much better player, who can do anything that Omri does, but better. We've seen countless turnovers, one that I'm particularly fuming over simply due to the fact that it caused DMC to get posterized. Aside from that, Casspi is just a mediocre basketball player who more often than not, hurts his team with his presence, as opposed to giving those minutes to someone else. I'd rather have James Anderson, who knows his role and doesn't try to do too much, be given a chunk of Omri's minutes during the regular season.

Caron Butler? I know it's just the pre-season but gosh this guy is really just a shell of his former self. Seeing him get minutes at PF tonight was horrendous.

Seeing as how the Spurs will be in town tomorrow I'm anxious to see what kind of line-ups coach Karl continues to experiment with.
Pre season much? Yes Omri has looked bad but he showed last season what he can do. You dont go from best bench player last season to garbage because of two pre season games.

What lineup should we expect from Spurs?

Mills, Green, Leonard, West, Aldridge?

From my experience with Omri, usually he starts the pre-season and also finishes it really well and then in the regular season people are wondering why he can't reproduce his performances in the pre-season to the regular season.

I trust him to play really well in the regular season, last season he was our best player off the bench, he will rise above soon enough I hope.

dude12

Hall of Famer
TV game locally...finally. Want to get a look at the team. I know Karl has said he will sit a starter each game but I hope he plays WCS and Rondo.....want to see the new guys.

Yeah, no.

Call me crazy (and it is indeed crazy to suggest this), but I'm going to weigh the last 140 games of Omri being an excellent bench player in regular season games more than 2 preseason games.

Yeah, no.

Call me crazy (and it is indeed crazy to suggest this), but I'm going to weigh the last 140 games of Omri being an excellent bench player in regular season games more than 2 preseason games.
I see what you're saying, and I hope so, however, with the addition of Marco Belinelli to this team, I just don't see Casspi having much of a positive impact. He's definitely capable of making a contribution to our second unit, but not under our current circumstances. In my opinion, Omri was able to become such an impactful asset off of our bench because he was one of our ONLY assets off of the bench. If you can recall, our starting unit was great last season, however, we had no bench support. Now, we have guys who know their roles and can produce. Guys like Caron, Belinelli, Koufos, weren't here last season, added to the fact that now DC is riding with the 2nd unit, it doesn't look good for Omri. I personally would rather give his minutes to James Anderson, whom, through what I've seen these past few pre-season games, plays calm and collected and knows what plays to make as opposed to Casspi. I like Omri, and hope he succeeds here, however he's just got to learn how to make the simple play. Recognize your role. Provide energy and hustle, this team doesn't need you to do much else.

Nor am I advocating that Omri be moved, however I'd be completely fine with him falling a few spots on our depth chart. If someone like Marco or Anderson, god forbid, were to sustain an injury, that's when I'd like Omri to step up.

I see what you're saying, and I hope so, however, with the addition of Marco Belinelli to this team, I just don't see Casspi having much of a positive impact. He's definitely capable of making a contribution to our second unit, but not under our current circumstances. In my opinion, Omri was able to become such an impactful asset off of our bench because he was one of our ONLY assets off of the bench. If you can recall, our starting unit was great last season, however, we had no bench support. Now, we have guys who know their roles and can produce. Guys like Caron, Belinelli, Koufos, weren't here last season, added to the fact that now DC is riding with the 2nd unit, it doesn't look good for Omri. I personally would rather give his minutes to James Anderson, whom, through what I've seen these past few pre-season games, plays calm and collected and knows what plays to make as opposed to Casspi. I like Omri, and hope he succeeds here, however he's just got to learn how to make the simple play. Recognize your role. Provide energy and hustle, this team doesn't need you to do much else.

Nor am I advocating that Omri be moved, however I'd be completely fine with him falling a few spots on our depth chart. If someone like Marco or Anderson, god forbid, were to sustain an injury, that's when I'd like Omri to step up.
At 6-9 and 6-5 I think there is plenty of room for both.

At 6-9 and 6-5 I think there is plenty of room for both.
Think about that for a second. Having enough room isn't the question, it's about what's best for the team. We've seen glimpses this pre-season of both players being on the floor together and it hasn't been pretty. Omri likes to have the ball and make plays, which often ends up in a turnover. When you compare the two players, their styles are actually quite similar regardless of their size. I'd give the edge to Belinelli in just about every factor, including basketball IQ. I give credit where credit is due, and in Omri's case, he plays with passion and fire. Sometimes, I feel like Omri doesn't truly embrace his role on this team. He wants to be more impact than his talent level would allow.

Why does adding more talent on the bench take away from what Casspi can do? Did he suddenly lose his ability to? If anything, Omri should be better this season because he's playing with better players and a more balanced second unit. Last year, he was forced into being the top scoring option and playmaker for the second unit for most of the season; 2 roles he's not suited for. When he got time with the starters, he was able to be the spark and energy guy who was able to make an impact in that manner.

Its fine if you don't like Omri as a player, but you are once again using a 2 game preseason sample size to advocate moving him out of a role that he showed he can do great in over the course of 2 seasons and 140 regular season games. Having more talent around you makes you a better player, not worse.

Think about that for a second. Having enough room isn't the question, it's about what's best for the team. We've seen glimpses this pre-season of both players being on the floor together and it hasn't been pretty. Omri likes to have the ball and make plays, which often ends up in a turnover. When you compare the two players, their styles are actually quite similar regardless of their size. I'd give the edge to Belinelli in just about every factor, including basketball IQ. I give credit where credit is due, and in Omri's case, he plays with passion and fire. Sometimes, I feel like Omri doesn't truly embrace his role on this team. He wants to be more impact than his talent level would allow.
Again, what? Maybe this was true his first time around with us as a rookie, but what Omri did so well last season WAS embrace his role as the scrapper/energy guy who could make the occasional play and stretch the floor. When he did try to push to much, its because he had Reggie Evans, Nik Stauskas, Carl Landry or Derrick Williams on the floor with him.

You're still judging Casspi based on 2 preseason games. You even said it yourself, "we've seen glimpses".

Omri and Marco are nothing alike. Omri is good at driving to the basket and using his eurostep to avoid charges. Marco is crafty and can get his own shot...many times they aren't good shots but his excellent shooting masks them. Omri basically only shoots three's and drives to the hoop. Marco shoots from anywhere. Omri needs to be open for the shot, Marco doesn't. Omri rebounds at nearly twice the clip of Marco.

If anything, Omri has been the best team player on this team. He's been THE guy who has been banding everyone together, getting along with everyone, putting the team before himself. He's not the most talented guy in the world but he wants to play here and he's obviously perfectly happy in the role he's in or else he wouldn't be here right now. These guys don't even play the same position so I'm not even sure what your argument is other than the fact that Omri has played poorly in 2 preseason games. Casspi is better than Butler, Anderson and whoever else could play SF for this team that isn't Rudy Gay. Unless we upgrade the SF position, Casspi is here to stay.

Is this game actually going to be shown on tv? For the love of god...
After last night, I too am hesitant to reply - however, it is listed on Comcast SportsNet California from 7:00pm to 9:30pm.

Comcast's guide also shows a Sacramento Kings Season Preview at 6:00pm and a Pregame and Postgame show at 6:30pm and 9:30pm, respectively.

For anyone interested, the game is supposedly repeated at 11:00pm.

Looking forward to seeing Ray and Jimmer on the floor.

Karl has said he hopes to play some guys who have not yet played in preseason. Hopefully, we get to see Seth’s game.

Also looking forward to a potential matchup between WCS and 7’3” and 300lbs Boban Marjanovic.

Go Kings!!!

Looking forward to seeing Ray and Jimmer on the floor.

Karl has said he hopes to play some guys who have not yet played in preseason. Hopefully, we get to see Seth’s game.

Also looking forward to a potential matchup between WCS and 7’3” and 300lbs Boban Marjanovic.

Go Kings!!!
Why? Didn't you see enough of them being horrible when they were here? I'm glad they are gone. Jimmer was almost out of the league, no one wanted him until the Spurs called. Ray has a chance to stick as a 3rd backup, 2nd backup at best. Other than that, nothing special.

Why? Didn't you see enough of them being horrible when they were here? I'm glad they are gone. Jimmer was almost out of the league, no one wanted him until the Spurs called. Ray has a chance to stick as a 3rd backup, 2nd backup at best. Other than that, nothing special.

I didn't say I wanted them back on our team, however, I support all Kings both current and former. I'd like to see Jimmer make the Spurs and to see Ray have a substantial role with the team. However, I am and will always be a die hard Sacramento Kings fan.

Go Kings!!!

Can Omri step back and let Collison and Belinelli be the ball handlers? That's TBD. I think he just had 2 terrible pre-season games, but to call him an excellent bench player is a bit much.. he had a green light in a bench filled with Derrick Williams and Carl Landry...

I'm confident that Omri can continue his good play from last season. However, his turnovers and careless ball handling have always been a problem of his. Hope to see less of that. It's arguable that Omri and Collison double handedly lost the game last night...not that it mattered though.

Nice to see Jimmer get another shot...if there's one team he won't suck in, it'll be the Spurs.

Can Omri step back and let Collison and Belinelli be the ball handlers? That's TBD. I think he just had 2 terrible pre-season games, but to call him an excellent bench player is a bit much.. he had a green light in a bench filled with Derrick Williams and Carl Landry...

I'm confident that Omri can continue his good play from last season. However, his turnovers and careless ball handling have always been a problem of his. Hope to see less of that. It's arguable that Omri and Collison double handedly lost the game last night...not that it mattered though.

Nice to see Jimmer get another shot...if there's one team he won't suck in, it'll be the Spurs.
I wish Omri could share some of his passion with Ben. I feel like Ben is just out there physically and nothing else. Omri will be alright once he settles down, he has to change roles for this team now as he isn't the #1 bench guy any longer. He was used to being the man off the bench and now he is a role player off the bench. Omri brings something to the team other than his skills, which I think many of us just glance over. His passion and fire, along with his camaraderie, is perfectly suited to be the glue guy on the team and the fire-starter when the team needs some life injected into them. Every team needs a high energy guy, and Omri is it for us.

Ben may actually look better in the second unit, as its more fast paced and more shots go up. Collison, Ben, Bellinelli, Casspi, Koufos.