GOSSIP - About owners, FO, coaching staff, scouts and Kings things in general

Picks...lots and lots of picks. I would say something nasty about tanking to get in the lottery here but it would just be sad.
Picks aint gonna get it done, that would mean the FO blowing the team up one year removed from a new building.

so as I said they have nothing to offer, nice dream while you had it Boston.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Picks...lots and lots of picks. I would say something nasty about tanking to get in the lottery here but it would just be sad.
Not even thinking about this year's picks, they can trade seven first-round picks (and they've also got a Minny 13-30 next year which will likely turn into a second-rounder). Technically they would be able to trade the players they take with their own and the Clippers' pick this year, so that makes nine picks. I've mentioned this before when there was some talk about them taking a swing at Cousins at the trade deadline - at some point they might have the ability to make a Godfather offer.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Picks aint gonna get it done, that would mean the FO blowing the team up one year removed from a new building.
You're right on that, but you never quite know what kind of package could be done with a third team (or several of them). If instead of keeping the picks you swing them for the right veterans from teams that need to rebuild, you could pick right up where you left off. I'm not advocating it, I'm just saying that Boston has the assets to try to make things interesting even in the short term if they get clever enough.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
A "strong push" with what.

They have absolutely nothing to offer.
Oh of course they do. This is what Ainge plays for. He stacks up tons and tons of young players and picks, and then shops them around seeing which opposing GMs have the intelligence of slime mold.

Can you imaginge? Stacks and stacks of picks to make a team just the way you have always dreamed of? Everybody be your guys? No holdovers? No meanies with their own preisiting fanbases and stake in the team? A new, pure, 3.0 entity built entirely to specs.

Oh of course they do. This is what Ainge plays for. He stacks up tons and tons of young players and picks, and then shops them around seeing which opposing GMs have the intelligence of slime mold.

Can you imaginge? Stacks and stacks of picks to make a team just the way you have always dreamed of? Everybody be your guys? No holdovers? No meanies with their own preisiting fanbases and stake in the team? A new, pure, 3.0 entity built entirely to specs.
Thats fine, but that involves pitching a full re-build one year from the new building.

If they think thats viable then thats on them.

I’m sure Danny will make a run at DMC this summer. It’s not time for the Kings to move DMC and the Celtics aren’t ready.

The Celtics have a couple of prospects but mostly picks. The Brooklyn picks have tremendous upside and risk/downside because Brooklyn has every reason to shoot for 38-42 wins (because they Celtics will control the picks between 2016 and 2018. The Celtics needs to acquire more assets, develop their young projects and the Kings and Celtics need to see what happens with the Brooklyn roster / injuries / ect.

To me, I think DMC will get dealt and probably to the 76ers, Magic, or Celtics between the February 2017 deadline and the night of the June 2017 draft (days before the lockout starts).

If Danny wants DMC, he needs to crush his picks coming up and get a Brook Lopez voodoo doll (I think he’s going to remain a Net)

If they get two new starters and two improved bnch players, that, unfortunately, is a rebuild. It would be nice if we only had to add one new one but circumstances don't allow that. I hope they can play it smart and be a little lucky, too. Right now is when the important decisions are being tied down. Lot's of ways to go, hope it's up.

Thats fine, but that involves pitching a full re-build one year from the new building.

If they think thats viable then thats on them.
That's why I think it falls within the February 2017 and June 2017 window.

If they trade DMC before then, it pours cold water on the opening of the arena. They market around DMC and open the arena with the theme or this year we make the playoffs (and DMC will stay).

But, they might not be able to wait much longer than that. Trading the player as they enter their walk year is often your last chance to get good value. After that, the other team might be getting only a short term rental and they don't get a full season with training cap to recruit and woo the player to resign. Further complicating matters, the start of the 2017-2018 season is expected to be delayed by a lockout. So waiting until after the draft means the 76ers and Celtics would be trying to make regular off season moves, understand the new CBA, and make a DMC trade for a 60 or 50 game season within a few weeks. That could be really problematic.

I think DMC is still portrayed as the cornerstone and future of this team in the fall of 2017, but when the calendar rolls over to 2018 ... they will sell he didn't want to be here and he was leaving anyhow so Noel, Saric and a pick was a pretty good haul for him.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Hey I never said we SHOULD or even that PDA WOULD take a dog choking wad-o-picks for DMC, I just pointed out the obvious only bait that Ainge has to offer. I don't propose to know what PDA thinks or even how much juice he has left to make a deal. I trust in what I have heard from Vlade that he gets how talented and rare DMC's talent is (he compares him to Sebonis) so if his input has the clout it seems to Ainge is just whisteling the dark here.

Last edited:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
If they get two new starters and two improved bnch players, that, unfortunately, is a rebuild. It would be nice if we only had to add one new one but circumstances don't allow that. I hope they can play it smart and be a little lucky, too. Right now is when the important decisions are being tied down. Lot's of ways to go, hope it's up.
It's not a rebuild, it's sheer stupidity. A rebuild is when you don't have a franchise player and do all you can, usually tanking and going through the draft in the hope of acquiring that franchise player. Trading away a top 10 player who's only 24 is tearing down your foundation. That ain't rebuilding.

There btw is a very good reason why NO doesn't contemplate trading Davis, or Wash trading Wall, or previously SA trading Duncan, Minn trading a younger KG, Dal trading a younger Dirk, Miami trading Wade, etc. It's because you never come out on top. Playoff teams acquire top players, they don't move them. They find a way to build around them, not trade them for lesser assets/players.

Kings fans should know this at Wash traded Webber to us, a young franchise player and were in the basement for years to follow. That wasn't a rebuild, it was stupidity on their part and we capitalized on it. We owe much of our glory years to the fools in our nation's capital.

The scary thing is I see Vivek trying to reinvent the wheel to an extent, so attempting to come out on top in a situation no other team has isn't something completely off the table for him. On the face of it I'd say there's zero chance we trade Cuz, but on the face of it there were also a few things I thought this regime would never do and they went ahead and did it. You can usually predict what a successful franchise will do off a track record of success and decisions they've made, the blueprint they follow. We don't have that here. It's nearly impossible to predict what this regime will do. If anyone in our FO is considering trading Cuz at all, in any capacity, it's because failures and poor decisions got them there. This entire roster outside JT and Cuz was attained by this regime.

What worries me is teams will come hard after Cuz this summer with trade offers and instead of focusing on how to build around the guy, I could see us wasting time and attention getting excited about these offers, or worse....

Last edited:
It's not a rebuild, it's sheer stupidity. A rebuild is when you don't have a franchise player and do all you can, usually tanking and going through the draft in the hope of acquiring that franchise player. Trading away a top 10 player who's only 24 is tearing down your foundation. That ain't rebuilding.

There btw is a very good reason why NO doesn't contemplate trading Davis, or Wash trading Wall, or previously SA trading Duncan, Minn trading a younger KG, Dal trading a younger Dirk, Miami trading Wade, etc. It's because you never come out on top. Playoff teams acquire top players, they don't move them. They find a way to build around them, not trade them for lesser assets/players.

Kings fans should know this at Wash traded Webber to us, a young franchise player and were in the basement for years to follow. That wasn't a rebuild, it was stupidity on their part and we capitalized on it. We owe much of our glory years to the fools in our nation's capital.

The scary thing is I see Vivek trying to reinvent the wheel to an extent, so attempting to come out on top in a situation no other team has isn't something completely off the table for him. On the face of it I'd say there's zero chance we trade Cuz, but on the face of it there were also a few things I thought this regime would never do and they went ahead and did it. You can usually predict what a successful franchise will do off a track record of success and decisions they've made, the blueprint they follow. We don't have that here. It's nearly impossible to predict what this regime will do. If anyone in our FO is considering trading Cuz at all, in any capacity, it's because failures and poor decisions got them there. This entire roster outside JT and Cuz was attained by this regime.

What worries me is teams will come hard after Cuz this summer with trade offers and instead of focusing on how to build around the guy, I could see us wasting time and attention getting excited about these offers, or worse....
I don't think they'll be lured by offers for Cuz this summer if they don't decide right now that he is is possibly going to be traded. I think these decisions are being made right now - this week and next.

What you quoted of mine above had nothing to do with trading Cuz. Without trading Cuz we are probably going to have a rebuild. We haven't come close to winning with this team including Cuz, don't you think we NEED a rebuild? If not are you suggesting we get a first class experienced PF and that's that? Hope you're right.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
"Real" rumor (not a lot of substance) out there is that the Celtics will make a strong push for Boogie this summer. Every team is just waiting to see what stupid thing the King's will do next. Hard to blame them.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...-celtics-to-try-to-trade-for-demarcus-cousins
Why wouldn't they try to trade for Boogie? Ainge has shown previously that his strategy is to accumulate picks and young talent and then trade them for stars. Jefferson and other assets for KG, the #5 pick for Ray Allen to pair with Paul Pierce. It's the right way to rebuild, especially for a relatively big market/marquee franchise like the Celtics.

And since Cousins hasn't had a winning season in the NBA, just suffered through an awful season with the Kings and could be starting to plan his exit strategy it's the right time to start making offers for the big fella.

I don't like it, but I get it.

I'm so tired of talking about every summer being a critical summer for the Kings, but it really is time to start making smart moves or be forced to tear this whole thing down and rebuild. Without the best center in the NBA.

This "we may trade Cuz" thing may loosen up potential trading partners to our advantage. Hope so. Trading successfully is had enough - we need all the advantage we can get.

I don't think they'll be lured by offers for Cuz this summer if they don't decide right now that he is is possibly going to be traded. I think these decisions are being made right now - this week and next.

What you quoted of mine above had nothing to do with trading Cuz. Without trading Cuz we are probably going to have a rebuild. We haven't come close to winning with this team including Cuz, don't you think we NEED a rebuild? If not are you suggesting we get a first class experienced PF and that's that? Hope you're right.
We just retooled almost the entire team over the past two years.

We don't need a rebuild, we NEED to fire the people who have just wasted two years.

How come we are at exactly the same spot as the day Vivek bought the team? I mean, what just happened for two years?

gunks

Hall of Famer
Why are you all discussing trading Cousins? Youre all creating a worst case scenario self fullfilling prophecy.
No more talk about trading DMC. Lock this thread and erase it from history!
+10000000000000000000000000000000000000

We have Cuz locked up for a few more seasons. I actually think we can start making some noise next year if we dont **** the bed in the draft again (big if, this all rides on Vlade being able to get Vivek to shut the hell up and stay in his place like a good lil owner).

And IF that awful day does come when we have to move Cuz, we better be getting a whole lot more than Sully and ******* Olynyk!

A lot of the franchise's awful moves came about through the wormtonguing of PDA and Mully. I have a little more faith in Vlade as an unknown, than I did in those two. And, as I've mentioned in another thread, if anyone knows the value of a dominant big, it is a former center who had to battle it out with Shaq in the post season.

I think that our worrying over Cousins getting traded is premature by at least a season and a half.

Any stupid move is possible with our cwaaaaaaaaazy owner though.

Last edited:

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
We not winning with Cuz is due to gross incompetence. The solution isn't trading a top 10 player. If we can't build around a top 10 player and the best center in the game, why would there be any expectation we could do better without that player? Just hope to luck into getting some other top player and magically build around him?

And no, our issues run far deeper than our PF position. Read through my posts if you like. Actually, out of all our problem I probably talk about PF the least.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Here, allow me to discuss trading Cousins in the appropriate voice:

YOU DO NO TRADE DEMARCUS COUSINS!

ANYBODY ADVOCATING DOING SO IS A COMPLETE IDIOT.

ANYBODY ACTUALLY DOING SO IS BENEATH CONTEMPT, AND I WILL WORK DILIGENTLY TO MAKE THEIR REMAINING TENURE WITH THE KINGS A LIVING HELL IN ANY WAY I CAN THINK TO DO SO.

There.

Nonetheless, we have rightly earned a reputation as a bunch of babbling idiots over here, misrunning the very worst run franchise in the entire NBA. People laugh at us, mock us, assume we are eternally ****ed because of the blatant stupidity of our decisionmaking for a solid decade now. So all summer long we are going to hear and have to endure these reports. Of course Boston wants Cousins, so does everybody else. And every single person in the NBA thinks it might be a real possibility because not a single person in the NBA has an ounce of respect for our decionmaking abilities. So its going to be there. I will rail against every single such thrust, but we can't ignore them. Our front office has every bit of intelligence to prove 9 years since our last playoff appearance, and 6 since our last 30 win season.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I'll add, and normally I wouldn't care as most FO's aren't half as incompetent as ours, but it's not doing anyone any good at all to come on here and pretend there's any upside whatsoever to trading Cuz. There isn't. Not a single team has lost the top center in the game before or in his prime and come out better for it. Not one. Anyone hypothesizing about how we'd benefit from it is wasting everyone's time at best. Giving our FO encouragement to dig their own grave and sink this ship for years to come at worst.

And given our organization is so open about its crowd-sourcing and we've possibly had a few organizational plants actually join this forum and attempt to sway opinion, there's not a single good reason to give this regime any ideas as they likely are reading this.

Only reason we even pop up in these ridiculous rumors is because our FO and owner earned the reputation of being incompetent and in the minds of others around the league, they think they can take advantage of the incompetent, as I would if I was Ainge or anyone else. In life there's predators and there's prey. We're looked at as prey and the sharks are going to start circling.

We just retooled almost the entire team over the past two years.

We don't need a rebuild, we NEED to fire the people who have just wasted two years.

How come we are at exactly the same spot as the day Vivek bought the team? I mean, what just happened for two years?
You got it! Will our 16 guys do it next year? Hell no. Some plater change is going to happen. We can't resist looking back but t doesn't help.

Let's pu it another way. Cuz is staying because he isn't considered available for trade. We are going to have some significant changes in this 15 plater roster. Lucky for me I don't read bulletins out of Boston. Right now the
Kings brass is deciding important issues to go forward to the draft, FA and considering trades. Burn a candle.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Napier was talking today about what the harm was in listening to offers on Cousins. Taken literally, there is no harm. Let's face it - the only reason why this hitting a nerve on this board is because of the lack of confidence in Kings management. If the Kings had a legit management group like the Spurs there is no way that people jump to the worst possible conclusion. But with the Kings, jumping to the worst conclusion is a very reasonable thing.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Napier was talking today about what the harm was in listening to offers on Cousins. Taken literally, there is no harm. Let's face it - the only reason why this hitting a nerve on this board is because of the lack of confidence in Kings management. If the Kings had a legit management group like the Spurs there is no way that people jump to the worst possible conclusion. But with the Kings, jumping to the worst conclusion is a very reasonable thing.
Mostly agree, but at no point would teams be throwing offers to the Spurs trying to get Duncan (or anyone, really), because they know the FO isn't dumb enough to entertain anything. No one feels they're going to fleece the Spurs.

Our FO, however, has a huge hole to dig itself out of. 2 years of Karl, holding on to Cousins and building around him is a bare minimum in order to shake that label of tomfoolery. Unfortunately, that takes time. In the meantime, they're going to have to live with being a punching bag.

It's rough, probably unfair, but it's the bed they made.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Mostly agree, but at no point would teams be throwing offers to the Spurs trying to get Duncan (or anyone, really), because they know the FO isn't dumb enough to entertain anything. No one feels they're going to fleece the Spurs.

Our FO, however, has a huge hole to dig itself out of. 2 years of Karl, holding on to Cousins and building around him is a bare minimum in order to shake that label of tomfoolery. Unfortunately, that takes time. In the meantime, they're going to have to live with being a punching bag.

It's rough, probably unfair, but it's the bed they made.
Oh I don't know. Maybe they would throw an offer to the Spurs. Offers don't cost anything, even if it is a low probability in occurring. But to reiterate my point, I'm not concerned a scintilla with strange rumors about Spurs personnel if I'm a Spurs fan. I'm totally confident in management because of a long and proven track record. Conversely, I think it's totally fair that Kings fans don't have confidence in Kings management. PDA, the GM that was retained, was integral to one of the most boneheaded moves in NBA history, and Divac is a blank slate. If you're not nervous with these two guys at the helm, as well as meddlesome owner to boot, it's time to call 911.

I will personally organize a protest against Vivek "Warriors 3.0" Ranadivé and Pete "Trust in my genius" D'Alessandro

Ill do that the day DMC is traded and every home game I can!

I can already picture those two sitting in some office "thinking" this through lol Pete flinging his vision to Vivek who doesnt know jack about bball so he eats it all up hahaa
If I was a billionaire and wanted to inflate my ego by purchasing a European football club that was going to go under or leave (i dont kow how it works for them) the last thing i would do would be to try and make Football decisions....

CAUSE I DONT KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT EUROPEAN FOOTBALL!

And if i caught a whiff of incompetence on the level the Gerbil has displayed I would fire his ass! I mean the second him and flat top tried to tell me they needed to sack Malone would be the same second they got in a car to Sac International.
Does Vivek have no more than 2 people (1 now) that he leans on for guidance in a sport he knows nothing about?

I give Vivek alot of praise for helping keep the Kings in Sac, but if he trades DMC im going to hate him on a Maloof level and start rioting!

How pissed would you be if your DeMarcus and you have said time and time again you want to stay here and then sign an extension only to hear these rumors and wonder if your incompetent F/O will actually trade you with the same confidence they sacked Malone!

Ok i feel better now :p

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
D-Will
Rudy
Winslow
Nik
Lawson

Your 2016 Sacramento Kings starting line-up!

I'm going to go barricade myself in the bathroom and sob uncontrollably now.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I thought this thread might be fun. Then it turned into yet another discussion of the "possibility" of trading DMC?

Sigh...