[NBA] Comments that don't warrant their own thread (MAR/APR)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The "idiot" Williams didn't do him any favors, either: Evans was New Orleans' opening night starting SF. And, if Gordon and Holiday hadn't gotten their annual injuries, he'd still be starting at SF.
To be fair, it's a minor miracle Reke hasn't had one of his yearly injuries either.

It's really remarkable how injury prone that entire roster is.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
and here I thought Cousins had anger issues...Hassan though wow this kid needs some help, no wonder he couldn't stick on a team with antics like that.

K

KingMilz

Suns rookie TJ Warren is one of the most ridiculously good off rhe ball players I have seen in a long long time. Absolute steal for the Suns not sure why they are not developing him more he's a sure fire starting SG/SF depending where they see him. I can't believe how well he cuts and knows where to go just has that nose for the ball, he on a team with good passing ability would be a monster.

I am by no means a supporter of Monty Williams. I've always thought him to be barely a notch above Keith Smart. That said, I think he does deserve some credit for what he's done with the Pelicans. They've got a lot of talent, no doubt, but they've also been playing pretty well even with all the injuries happening to them. I'm seeing a lot better ball movement in general as well. Defensively they still have room to be a lot better.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Clippers lead Oklahoma City in the third quarter. Unlike apparently the majority of Kings Fans, I dislike the Clippers less than I dislike the Thunder. Plus, I stump for New Orleans, and a Clippers win puts the Pels in the eighth seed.

So, a half-hearted go clippers, I guess.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
As a team, I find it hard to dislike the Clippers. They were so bad for so long that they just don't merit it. As individuals, Chris Paul and Blake Griffin can both go take a long flop off a short pier.

bleacher report published this great interview with pat riley, and it really highlights some of the things that i value as a fan of the game. it also goes a long way towards demonstrating the divide between the philosophies of basketball lifers like riles and the philosophies of lesser basketball minds like our own pete d'allesandro:

on building teams around talent, and not waiting for the lottery to build a team for you:
Bleacher Report said:
[Riley] doesn't bunt for base hits, but swings from the heels. He called these "very coherent thoughts and decisions that you make about getting stars. You've got to get great players. I've been around it my whole life."

"It doesn't take a rocket scientist to be able to see what it takes," Riley said, running through his experience playing with West and Baylor and Wilt Chamberlain, coaching against Larry Bird and Kevin McHale and Robert Parish, and so on. "If you can get three of those kinds of players and fill it out with some other good guys, then you might be ahead of the curve....So there are a lot of ways to skin a cat.

"For me, it's not through the draft, because lottery picks are living a life of misery. That season is miserable. And if you do three or four years in a row to get lottery picks, then I'm in an insane asylum. And the fans will be, too. So who wants to do that?"
on chris bosh's blood clots, and the pain of waiting through "wasted years":
"About 5:30, I got the call from [Dr.] Harlan [Selesnick], what Chris had. Even before the trade call, I knew, I didn't tell anybody, except I told Nick about it. And we were just stunned, absolutely just stunned. More concerned for his health, you know."

He recalled Udonis Haslem recovering from blood clots in his lungs four years earlier.

"So it gave me hope, and I think it gives Chris hope, that this is just healing, the right medication, rest, whatever he needs just to dissolve that, and get him healthy," Riley said. "But it was just another blow. It was a big blow to the franchise and to the fans of hope."

After the organization had, in his opinion, pulled itself "up by the bootstraps."

"And then you have to wait," he said. "So put it all in one little box; it was like a wasted year...you don't have that many years, so you don't want to waste any of them."
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-ultimate-lifer-fights-on-in-post-lebron-era

i can't help but think about demarcus cousins when riley talks about "wasted years." windows of opportunity are usually rather small in professional sports, and as a front office, you have to try to win when you can, because who knows if the wins will ever come again?

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
looks like all that talent Utah accumulated over the years is finally turning into wins. They have been on an absolute tear since the all-star break. Rudy Gobert for Most Improved?

Clippers lead Oklahoma City in the third quarter. Unlike apparently the majority of Kings Fans, I dislike the Clippers less than I dislike the Thunder. Plus, I stump for New Orleans, and a Clippers win puts the Pels in the eighth seed.

So, a half-hearted go clippers, I guess.
OKC's loss gives NO the 8th seed at last! Go Pels and Boo Thunder!!!

K

KingMilz

Will Barton playing well in his time in Denver, I always thought he could be something like a Corey Brewer with bit worse D.

K

KingMilz

Tony Allen should be the 6th man of the year, he's going to make a All-NBA defensive team, the energy, defense, off the ball movement and winning impact he brings is far better than chuckers like Lou Williams/IT and Jamal Crawford.

His stats are pretty damn solid as well 8.5ppg, 4.2rpg, 1.4apg and 2.0spg on 49.5% shooting, the dude just gets it done.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
A defensive player never wins 6th man of the year, it's unrealistic. It's all about scoring for that reward. In other news, the Jazz continue to impress and beat down teams every night. I wonder if they can carry this over into next season. Looks like even they finished rebuilding before the Kings. Must be nice.

A defensive player never wins 6th man of the year, it's unrealistic. It's all about scoring for that reward. In other news, the Jazz continue to impress and beat down teams every night. I wonder if they can carry this over into next season. Looks like even they finished rebuilding before the Kings. Must be nice.
It is.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
NO just jumped over OKC for the 8th spot.

Hope that holds, I'd love to see Reke/Davis in the playoffs. With Ibaka out for a few weeks and Durant also out, definitely possible.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I too want to see what Tyreke can do when the lights are the brightest.....Durant should sit out the season IMO and get ready for next season. Foot injuries are nothing to play around with.

The Jazz will be a contending team next year...bank on it. Rudy Gobert is amazing. Every draft, we wonder how certain guys get drafted so low.. he's the reason why teams will continue to gamble on European prospects. Gobert was drafted 27th overall.

They will most likely trade one of their guards. Team is packed full of guards who love to handle the ball.. Hayward, Burks, Exum, and Burke. Don't be surprised to see Burke or Burks traded this off season.

On the other hand, Exum is still really raw.. To be honest, Nik's handles aren't far off of Exum's. I don't think he's a PG. Not a good ball handler as a pg, doesn't have PG vision, and he struggles to create. His 3pt shooting is coming along, however teams are just leaving him at the 3pt line because they know he's not a great shooter. Problem with that is once defenders will actually start closing in, he'll miss a lot. Very very slow release and shot set. I don't think he's a PG for at least another a year or 2