[Game] Kings-Hornets Summer League - 7/13/14 - 3 pm PDT

Yeah, I agree. He did say that he banged up his elbow, so maybe that's part of it. It seems like a lot of these rookies are getting tired early in LV. Didn't seem to be an issue in Orlando. I can also say that i've never seen Nik look this tired in college.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
DAMN IT. I absolutely detest seeing someone trying to block a three. Especially when it freaking missed. VF21 is NOT happy. DUMB MOVE, just like Cisco used to do.

18 rebounds by Vonleh
Lot of opportunities with the horrific shooting. I could have gone out there and gotten 5 boards.

Wasn't impressed overall with Vonleh. Finished without a block, didn't shoot it particularly well, fouled a ton. Then again, wasn't impressed with Stauskas/anyone besides Moreland on the Kings' end either.

Nobody (starters) really played well. There were moments that the team game flashed and it looked nice, but overall it was bad. Moreland looked good. Acy looked okay, but had a few defensive lapses that led to points. Nik and Ben both had some nice defensive plays, but they also got burned a time or two.

Dwill is a non factor. He reminds me of the fat kid that gets stuck on your gym class basketball team that just kind of stands under the rim waving his arms around, yelling, "i'm open!" Marshon was good on offense, so so on defense, but his offense is only good enough to be a bench player in the NBA.

really disappointed with the offensive unity. A bunch of rotation players or no...that was awful. Should have beat this team by 30. Charlotte's SL team is garbage.

Lot of opportunities with the horrific shooting. I could have gone out there and gotten 5 boards.

Wasn't impressed overall with Vonleh. Finished without a block, didn't shoot it particularly well, fouled a ton. Then again, wasn't impressed with Stauskas/anyone besides Moreland on the Kings' end either.
I was going to say the same thing about Vonleh. He looked really raw... Stauskas looked tired. He played the most minutes tonight for the kings. Moreland, if he can do what he did tonight, everynight. He has to be considered for a roster spot.

Hey, not sure who is actually there at the game, but what is the feeling in the gym? is it still 85-90 degrees? I'm curious because some of these guys looked exhausted in the 3rd quarter.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Hey, not sure who is actually there at the game, but what is the feeling in the gym? is it still 85-90 degrees? I'm curious because some of these guys looked exhausted in the 3rd quarter.
I was following 5 of our KF fans who were at the game. None of them mentioned the heat and they didn't look uncomfortable. I don't think it was a factor today... And I'm sure WCF would have mentioned it numerous times. ;)

Nik is struggling with the ball because no one will set a screen for him and everyone is standing looking at him. He's not Russell Westbrook.

Coach Malone enjoying it.

@BlakeEllington: Michael Malone's body language has been quite telling throughout this game. pic.twitter.com/Sg9o8JAHcx

NOTE: You can post a tweet without a link. ;) - VF21
Malone looks like he's fighting back vomit, again :eek:

I was following 5 of our KF fans who were at the game. None of them mentioned the heat and they didn't look uncomfortable. I don't think it was a factor today... And I'm sure WCF would have mentioned it numerous times. ;)
Actually it has been much hotter than normal.
From what I've heard they really advertised summer league here in Vegas and the gym has been far more packed than in prior years.
I don't really get hot but my wife has been dying, so it could be hotter out there on the floor.

I still don't think there is much there to excuse the bad play though.

I will say that stauskas' missed free throws are the best sign that there may be a lingering issue with his elbow as that was extremely unusual.
He also only took ten shots, which is low considering his minutes so he might not have been comfortable shooting. We will see if this lingers on tomorrow.

If I had a nightmare in which I watched a Kings game and they looked horrible it would t have been this bad.

Not good. Like Hoosiers practicing they day before they hired Gene Hackman. Hairston is a gunner but looked better than our 8 pick. Mcelmore is a mess shooting. His touch will never ever come back unless they start allowing the Long Putter or he tries crosshanded shooting. Stouskas looked rattled more than anything. Doesnt have the body to dominate a summer game and make his own shot and needs to play with good players that get him open a lot.

Better hope Gay, Collison and Cousins stay healthy and average 46 minutes a game. Wow.

18 rebounds by Vonleh
Wasn't really impressed with him at all. A lot of dumb fouls and turnovers. I see they gave him 4 on the statsheet but I know he had more than just 4.

But he was in the right place at the right time for his rebounds so I guess that's something! He's not going to average 10+ boards a game but he's good for 9 to 10 if he plays 30mins. That's fine for a PF.

Nik is struggling with the ball because no one will set a screen for him and everyone is standing looking at him. He's not Russell Westbrook.

Coach Malone enjoying it.

@BlakeEllington: Michael Malone's body language has been quite telling throughout this game. pic.twitter.com/Sg9o8JAHcx
Malone is probably wondering again just what on earth he got himself into. He seems to take losing harder than your average coach of a bad team. He also seems to really become agitated by low IQ basketball. That's a good thing that it drives him mad but not sure he can take another season of this. Unfortunately for him this is a team (and quite frankly an entire league) overflowing with low IQ players.

I wonder if he is regretting taking the Kings job. Had he stayed in Golden State as lead assistant there is a very good chance that he's either the head coach of Golden State this year or better yet the head coach of Cleveland with his connections there. Timing is indeed everything in life.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Yes, it's a majority of our roster, but:

1. I don't expect all of these players together on the floor at once. Maybe Ray/Ben or Nik/Ray or even Nik/Ben, but if we trot out Ray/Nik/Ben/DWill/Acy with any regularity, then we are, as they say, "forked".

2. I'm not too terribly worried about team offense during SL. It's a combination of guys looking to show off to make a team or guys brought in with the purpose of refining a skill. That said, individual play can totally set off a red flag for me, if a player is looking "not ready" then I worry, because you are playing against scrubs.

Last edited:
S

SacKings2002NBAChampions

So can we expect you to continue to cry about IT at every opportunity. GET OVER IT. He's gone. He's not coming back. I'm getting the feeling it's more about the name on the back of the jersey than the name on the front for you...
You're such a grumpy old woman. Why must you antagonize the innocent posters just because you don't like their IT comments.
Meanwhile, you're the one that created the "thank you IT" thread, HA. He made a relevant point. IT was far more valuable to this squad than D-Will. These summer league games are proving that this is yet another wasted generation. Meanwhile, Payton is going to be a stud!

Should have re-signed IT, drafted Payton (who would eventually start and star), put more confidence in Ben Mac instead of drafting another SG rookie, signed a veteran SG and traded trash players like JT, Landry and D-Will for a shot blocker and expirings/vets, and last but not least....
Waived Terry and Outlaw.

Then, we are talking. Honestly, this has been one of the most disappointing off-seasons in a long time. Mostly because of all the hype PDA and Vivek created in the media. Don't talk big unless you can back it up. Meanwhile, other teams are making blockbuster moves (even teams that are small market teams).
They treated Gay like a hall of famer when he's nothing but a solid veteran who didnt live up to his hype but remained. They have Cousins at all the meetings and involved with every single transaction as if he's the CEO of the Kings.
He should be in the gym working on his defense rather than playing GM with Vivek and PDA.
They're giving cousins too much control and power. It's not good for a guy who is ego-centered. You think the Spurs would ever do this? No, cause Pop knows how to run an organization. He doesn't even involve a hall of famer like Duncan in such discussions. We're treating Cousins like Kobe or Lebron....HAA
This just shows how amateur this organization is. Vivek is sending IT to India to promote the Kings and the NBA but conducted poor business management and marketing by not even thinking about matching or offering him a contract that he deserved and constantly belittling IT in the media with all these PG talks didnt ease the situation. I hope he stars in Phoenix.
Lastly, you have a defensive coach, an offensive minded GM and a misinformed owner who is far too business oriented to be worried about team chemistry.
Recipe for disaster. I think as Kings fans, its OK for us to be worried about where this organization is taking OUR ball club. Yes, OUR club...because no other fans would cope with such disappointments and stupidity that we have endured for a DECADE now....
So, stop patronizing us with your hippy optimism. We're not all as gullible as you to have such deluded trust in this corrupt organization.

Lastly-lastly, this is an online forum where people post their thoughts as opinions about the Kings.
He had every right to post what he did and you didn't have the right to respond in such a putrid manner by trying to belittle him.

Goodnight, peeps.

dude12

Hall of Famer
You're such a grumpy old woman. Why must you antagonize the innocent posters just because you don't like their IT comments.
Meanwhile, you're the one that created the "thank you IT" thread, HA. He made a relevant point. IT was far more valuable to this squad than D-Will. These summer league games are proving that this is yet another wasted generation. Meanwhile, Payton is going to be a stud!

Should have re-signed IT, drafted Payton (who would eventually start and star), put more confidence in Ben Mac instead of drafting another SG rookie, signed a veteran SG and traded trash players like JT, Landry and D-Will for a shot blocker and expirings/vets, and last but not least....
Waived Terry and Outlaw.

Then, we are talking. Honestly, this has been one of the most disappointing off-seasons in a long time. Mostly because of all the hype PDA and Vivek created in the media. Don't talk big unless you can back it up. Meanwhile, other teams are making blockbuster moves (even teams that are small market teams).
They treated Gay like a hall of famer when he's nothing but a solid veteran who didnt live up to his hype but remained. They have Cousins at all the meetings and involved with every single transaction as if he's the CEO of the Kings.
He should be in the gym working on his defense rather than playing GM with Vivek and PDA.
They're giving cousins too much control and power. It's not good for a guy who is ego-centered. You think the Spurs would ever do this? No, cause Pop knows how to run an organization. He doesn't even involve a hall of famer like Duncan in such discussions. We're treating Cousins like Kobe or Lebron....HAA
This just shows how amateur this organization is. Vivek is sending IT to India to promote the Kings and the NBA but conducted poor business management and marketing by not even thinking about matching or offering him a contract that he deserved and constantly belittling IT in the media with all these PG talks didnt ease the situation. I hope he stars in Phoenix.
Lastly, you have a defensive coach, an offensive minded GM and a misinformed owner who is far too business oriented to be worried about team chemistry.
Recipe for disaster. I think as Kings fans, its OK for us to be worried about where this organization is taking OUR ball club. Yes, OUR club...because no other fans would cope with such disappointments and stupidity that we have endured for a DECADE now....
So, stop patronizing us with your hippy optimism. We're not all as gullible as you to have such deluded trust in this corrupt organization.

Lastly-lastly, this is an online forum where people post their thoughts as opinions about the Kings.
He had every right to post what he did and you didn't have the right to respond in such a putrid manner by trying to belittle him.

Goodnight, peeps.
There's a thread for the IT stuff, if its brought up in game threads, people are probably not going to react well to it.....most are going to move on from IT.