[Grades] Grades v. Grizzlies 1/17/2014

On the final play of the game, who would you have tried to go to?

• Gay

Votes: 44 65.7%
  • Thompson

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Cousins

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Thornton

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Thomas

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Ok, now that was frustrating. Memphis is an ugly team. They win ugly, they lose ugly. They made it an ugly game, or maybe they made us make it an ugly game. In any case, none of our big three fought through it, and nobody else was special enough to pick up their slack. Cuz racked up big raw numbers again, but he was forced into inefficiency by the big physical Memphis defense, and just never looked in rhythm all night. He was 6-14 at one point in the third. He finished 6-20 missing everything. He grabbed 17rebs to Gasol's 3 and it wasn't completely obvious he was better tonight. After a terrible first half where he was probably trying way to hard to look good on his old home floor, Rudy went on a run in the second half, was up to 16pts and seemed to be the one guy who had figured it out. Then coach not surprisingly turned to him to be the guy down the stretch, and he missed everything in the final minutes but a little follow under the hoop of a Cuz miss. Then you had Isaiah, who got his butt kicked by Conley for most of the night on both sides of the ball, had one little burst in the late 3rd/early 4th where it looked like he might come alive, and instead he amazingly started to repeat his Minnesota stretch run debacle, taking poor shots and missing them, dribbling into traffic and getting stripped and just generally being as far from a floor general as can be. And so, after blowing a 7pt lead in the final 3 minutes, it came down to a final shot for us, and I gotta tell you, backseat coach that I am, I have no idea who I would have gone to either. Everything was 1 on 1 by that point, nobody was hot, all our main guys were missing everything. And sure enough we bumbled about against a swarming defense, nearly turned it over, Rudy got tied up for a jump ball, and we never even got a shot up, good or bad. We can play with teams at this level now, that's clear. That's also why this was a bad, frustrating loss. Did not have to be. Just any one of our stars steps forward and overcomes, we win. None of them did when it mattered, so we lost.

Your Consoritum Graders tonight:
Bricklayer
Uncia03
Bajaden
Capt. Factorial
Rainmaker

Boxscore

Stats: 37min 19pts (7-18, 0-1, 5-5) 4reb 3ast 0stl 0blk 4TO
Gay ( C+ ) -- I thought for moment in the first half that perhaps Gay had gone out and celebrated with some of his old teammates the night before. He started well enough by doing a nice job of sealing JT's defender under the basket so JT could score. But on the next possession, there appeared to be a miss communication between Gay and Cousins as Gay threw the ball out of bounds. He then made a terrible entry pass to Cousins that was stolen. He didn't take his first shot of the game until the 4:41 mark of the 1st quarter, but had it blocked. At the 2:48 mark of the 1st he went to the bench, and returned to the game with 7:44 left in the 2nd. Upon his return he lost the handle on the ball and turned it over. Finally with 5:57 left in the 2nd, he scored his first basket. That sort of primed the pump, because on the next possession he scored off an inbounds pass on a cut to the basket. After posting up and missing a 14 footer, he drove the left baseline, but only to get his shot blocked by Gasol. He liked it so much, a bit later he grabbed an offensive board and had his shot blocked by Gasol again. He started the 3rd quarter with a bad inbounds pass to IT for a turnover. After hitting a 12 foot pullup, he had a very weird play where he appeared to go up for a 20 foot shot, but the ball seemed to fly out of his hands in the opposite direction of the basket for another turnover. He did have a nice player where he just blew by Prince and laid it in. But the rest of the game was pretty much more of the same. He had a good 4th quarter, and did the bulk of the scoring in that quarter. Overall he wasn't terrible, but he certainly didn't have one of his better games. He did manage to score 19 points, but on 7 or 18 shooting. Only 4 boards, but Cuz was grabbing everything in sight. He played decent defense all night long, but then Prince wasn't that much of a threat. --Baja

Stats: 28min 10pts (5-7, 0-0, 0-0) 6reb 0ast 0stl 1blk 0TO
Thompson ( B+ ) -- JT had himself a good game in this one. His greatest contribution was with his defense on Zach Randolph who was held to just 12 points on 5-12 shooting. JT did a good job being physical with Randolph and an especially good job keeping Randolph out of the paint and denying entry pass angles to Zach. Now Randolph did win some of the encounters, but the fact that JT had 10 points on 7 shots to Randolph’s 12 points on 12 shots shows that JT actually won his match-up. And considering how many times Zach has had his way this this team, it was a very good showing. There were two small blemishes on JT’s game. The first was the rebounding, where though he wasn’t weak, he could have been a bit stronger. The second was his inability to get any scoring in the last 8 minutes of the game when he got back in there. The team never really ran any plays for him, but he had a couple of opportunities where he could have scored, and even a single extra bucket from him could have made the difference. But even with those blemishes, he wasn’t the reason why we lost the game, and in fact his strong play against Randolph is one of the main reasons we should have won this game to begin with.--Uncia

Stats: 40min 22pts (6-20, 0-0, 10-14) 17reb 0ast 0stl 1blk 2TO
Cousins ( C+ ) -- Welp, the theme of the night was "physicality". DeMarcus spent seemingly the entire game battling Marc Gasol in the post until by the time the fourth quarter rolled around he was just plain worn down. Things started to turn early in the third quarter when Gasol went off on Cousins, getting everything he wanted. He started with a turnaround, followed that up with a baseline drive for a dunk, and then added a 15-foot set shot and a half hook in the lane to put up 8 points on Cousins in the first few minutes of the half. For the entire night, he seemed to face nothing but traffic in the lane. He was fouled 9 times (that were called) on the night and shot only 3-12 in the paint (and one of those was a layup on a fast break). That's a miserable number, and the box score says he was blocked six times. I'm not sure I counted that many, but he was he was just being beaten down all night. And then came the fourth quarter. Right after coming back from a breather, Cousins violently fouled Marc Gasol's elbow with his jaw, but inexplicably the officials called it the wrong way. Clearly they never reviewed the case law on Bibby's face fouling Kobe's elbow. Not too much later, Gasol decided to go for the make-up call and allowed DeMarcus' eyes and nose to foul his fingertips, but again, the officials just would not comply. Still, with all of these questionable calls against Gasol, the officials were determined not to make a mistake like that again, and gave Cousins (and frankly, the Kings) no benefit of the doubt for the remainder of the game. That included refusing to make a call when DeMarcus Cousins found himself wearing his own personal Spaniard backpack on the closing jump ball - one which was expertly tipped to him in position to put in a layup for the win. Trouble is, it's hard to catch the ball when you're getting your spine rearranged by 280 pounds of paella. Hey, seventeen rebounds, though! That was nice! And he did a decent job on defense in the first half, so his night wasn't a complete disaster. But if he could have come through in the lane only one more time... --Capt.

Stats: 25min 5pts (2-4, 1-2, 0-0) 1reb 1ast 1stl 0blk 1TO
Thornton ( C ) -- its reached the point now where you get a 5pt effort on 2-4 form your SG and you're thinking "well, that wasn't so bad". Ditto for his backup. As usual only sporadically involved, but showed spurts of life early. Had a nice wrap around pass to Cousins in the early going, but led to nothing. Hit his first open three as well, but it would be the only one. Late in the quarter did a nice job diving down on a double and getting a steal form Randolph, but then led a ragged break and nearly turned it over. On the other end it wasn't a total disaster as only 9 of Lee's points came against Marcus on a variety fo mediocre defender not quite there ways. Did not get back in until after half as McLemore, and then the Gay/Williams combo ate the rest of the first half minutes. Had his last little showing with an aggressive little pullup in the early 3rd, and the only board he had in the whole game he snatched. But then missed the open three from IT on the kick -- kinda our SGs special play, and was never heard from again. Was subbed back into the game for the final strewtch run, but wasn't the reason we lost this one. In fact was wide open in the corner on the final play where Gay got tied up., Was understandable why Gay couldn't see him through the wall of Grizzlies arms, but with the way we play offense anymore would have been questionable f Gay would have passed it to him for the winning attempt anyway. --Brick

Stats: 39min 14pts (5-14, 2-6, 2-3) 3reb 9ast 1stl 0blk 3TO
Thomas ( C- ) -- This one was quite a mixed bag for Isaiah. Some good, more bad, decent numbers but they didn't reflect his overall level of play. I thought Isaiah, as he has been for roughly two weeks now, really struggled in balancing when to shot, when to pass, when to be aggressive and when to step back and let others create. He was very hot and cold. He'd change back and forth from a passive facilitator to a "me first" gunner randomly throughout the game. I'm not sure his teammates or even Isaiah himself know what to expect from him on any given trip down the floor. I didn't like the flow of the offense tonight and thought Isaiah's ability to setup, organize and run the offense was simply not good. I didn't like the tone he set early where he came out looking for his shot. He was shaky with the ball. Wasn't getting Boogie and Rudy the ball where they operate best. Forced bad shots and was loose with his handle at times. His defense wasn't good either. This might sound harsh, I realize that and what I did was take a bunch of notes and thought given how the game went it would be best and most insightful to post my notes. Not all mind you as I don't have all evening, but here's the majority of them in chronological order.
-Put up a semi-contested 3 early in the shotclock less than 1 min in
-Instead of reposting JT who had Randolph on his back with plenty of space, immediately took JT's kickout, drove into a contested shot and missed
-Hit a spot up left wing 3
-Hit Thornton for a wing 3
-Going too far under screens on Conley-Conley getting wherever he wants
-Pick & Pop with Cuz for jumper and the foul
-After Cuz hit back to back jumpers above the FT line, looked off a wide open Cuz in that same spot to gun a contested jumper which he missed
-Came down on the break and put up a contested 3 with 19 on shotclock, missed
-Do any stores in Memphis sell rogaine?
-After returning in the 2nd, forced another pullup transition 3 early in shotclock (was 1-5 from the floor at that time), missed
-Last play of half missed a contested runner with Rudy wide open in left corner
2nd half
-Conley blew by him for +1
-Nice find to Cuz rolling into lane for +1
-Ran pick & roll with Cuz, Cuz wide open at top of key, IT takes both men with him and forces contested jumper over both, missed
-Nice closeout on Conley
-Came down in transition, forced up a tough shot over two defenders, scores and the foul. Had Rudy wide open on right wing and Rudy looks pissed. Didn't celebrate, shakes head and walks other way down court
-Dribbled into traffic, lost ball after not waiting for play to develop and screen to be set. Turnover. Lee scores 2 at other end
-Bit on Conley pump-fake straddling 3pt line in Memphis 2 for 1 situation
-Hit Ben curling for jumper
-Bang. Makes tough jumper from up top to close the 3rd
-Nice hesitation to beat Conley to rim for the reverse
-Hits step back right wing 3. Heating up?
-Fastbreak with Rudy wide open again on his right, ignores him again, dribbles into 3 defenders, shot rejected, ball off IT, turnover. Rudy looks even more pissed
-Nice lob to DWill for dunk
-Interesting exchange. Tech called on Memphis, Rudy walks to FT line to shoot it, he and Isaiah have words and he waves Isaiah off. First tech FT Isaiah hasn't taken this yr when on the floor?
Score: 88-81
1st possession-Conley beats IT for runner off glass
2nd possession-Conley beats IT to set up Prince for the layin
3rd possession-Conley loses IT on wing screen, hits floater off glass
Score: 88-87
-Comes down, dribbles all but 2 secs of possession, launches terrible/contested wing 3, missed
4th possession-Fouls Conley off the ball on a backdoor cut. Inbounds, Conley beats IT off the dribble as Cuz sags off to help, Conley pass to Gasol, Cuz tries to recover, Gasol fakes, draws foul.
Score: 88-89
-Great hustle, forces Lee transition miss
-Comes down, tries dribbling through two defenders, picked, Memphis breaks other way and Conley fouled
-Last play, dribble straight into Conley, picks up dribble, Conley gets hand on the ball as IT plays a tough pass to Rudy
----In the game thread someone posted Rudy shouldn't have cut when IT had the ball there and Rudy cut in his way. That's wrong. Rudy stayed wide on the wing while IT attacked and didn't make his cut until after IT picked up his dribble and needed help

I left out a few notes from the 1st half but really, it's an incredibly rocky performance. There's also the defense. I kept close track of who scored on IT. Conley scored 21 of his 25 directly on IT. Lee scored 2 on him. Calathes scored 2. Beyond that, in the 2nd half when IT was having a real tough time trying to stick with Conley, others were sagging off their man to offer help and we were burned a few times as a result as guys couldn't recover in time. Our defense was bending towards helping Isaiah. While 14/9 looks like a decent statline I really can't hand out a good grade for this one. If a C is average, this wasn't average. Far too rocky of an outing. This team is begging for steadiness from the PG position and we currently aren't getting it. It's not just up and down from half to half or quarter to quarter, it's possession to possession. Isaiah is obviously struggling trying to adapt to the new role Malone has for him and I hope both for the team's sake he can start adapting quicker.--Rain

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Bench

Stats: 12min 0pts (0-0, 0-0, 0-0) 2reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 2TO
Gray ( C- ) -- Gray entered the game early in the first with Jason Thompson having picked up two quick fouls, and played what would seem to be his longest stretch as a King, lasting about 10:45. He didn't figure much into the game other than D-ing up sometimes Z-Bo, sometimes Gasol, and the team finished up with four points on 5 shots against him. He grabbed two boards, which is a bit low for his minutes total, and managed to turn the ball over twice, once on a bad pass and once on an illegal screen. He didn't really get much done out there - didn't even attempt a shot - but he did step in admirably while JT was in foul trouble so I can't complain too much. --Capt.

Stats: 26min 10pts (4-7, 0-0, 2-2) 5reb 1ast 1stl 0blk 0TO
Williams ( B ) -- This was a tale of two halves for Williams. He had a very strong 1st half moving with-out the ball and getting easy scoring opportunities, including a very strong offensive rebound and big reverse slam dunk. He had to guard James Johnson which he did adequately and then later had to guard Courtney Lee, and while Lee didn’t hurt him in the match-up, it was clear that Lee had the quickness advantage. In the second half he was in a small-ball line-up and got matched up against Ed Davis and Davis was able to use his length to take advantage of that match-up getting a couple of scoring opportunities. Other than a fast-break alley-oop dunk from IT at the mid-way point of the 4th, Williams didn’t score at all. In fact, after that dunk Malone took him out and brought in Thornton, probably due to the match-up with Courtney Lee. When Williams left the game at the 5 minute mark the Kings were up 86-79 and he wasn’t in during the stretch as the Kings slowly collapsed. Perhaps the outcome would have been different if Malone had stuck with Williams, as Thornton didn’t do a whole lot in the closing minutes of the game. Of the six Kings players with 25+ minutes, Williams was the only one with a positive +/-, mostly due to his absence in the final 5 minutes. So a solid game, but not a spectacular one for Williams this time out. --Uncia

Stats: 13min 7pts (3-6, 1-1, 0-0) 1reb 0ast 0stl 0blk 0TO
McLemore ( B- ) -- like Thornton, at this point a 7pt performance on 50% shooting is actually looking pretty nice. Came in and made a nice crosscourt pass on the break, but IT wasn't hitting anything, which I suppose is turnabout being fair play given how many assists ben has blown this year on the receiving end of those type passes. Started off the game bricking again, and I was just sitting back shaking my head when he suddenly hit a corenr three off of ball movement, and followed that with a tough jumper from the top of the key. Signs of life! Well, on one end. On the other we should start a campaign to get Ben sent to the All Star game three point shooting contest...as an enabler. Just have him show up, play his "defense" on the guys shooting off the racks, and I guarantee you records would be broken. Sagged off his man again and allowed a three from Calathes, Back in the game after half, went under a screen, and boom it was Conley with the wide open three. But he again hit a jumper off a screen at the close of the third to cut the lead back to 3, and as Ben games go, this one felt like he might have been helping a bit. --Brick

Stats: 9min 3pts (1-4, 1-1, 0-0) 0reb 1ast 0stl 0blk 2TO
Fredette ( INC/D ) -- Didn't do much and didn't play much. Had a terrible play at the end of the 1st where he drove right into two defenders and lost the ball on the way up. Hit a transition 3 but then followed it up on his next possession by forcing just a horrible, contested brick without even looking to pass to anyone else. Trouble handling the ball as well and didn't deal with ball pressure all that well. Had a very short stint in the 2nd half as Malone was none too impressed with his play. --Rain

Stats: 11min 0pts (0-1, 0-0, 0-0) 4reb 1ast 1stl 0blk 0TO
Acy ( C+ ) -- The box score tells me that Acy missed one shot from the floor - I didn't catch it so I'm guessing that on one rebounding scrum under the Kings basket he was credited with a tip attempt. But that kind of sums up Acy's offensive day. The only he really did on offense was to stay out of the way - or, to look at it form another point of view, stay IN the way. Acy's only job on that side of the floor was to set screens, and he was spending much of his time playing the pick-and-watch above the three point line. He did, at the very least, free up Jimmer for a made three and free up Rudy for two drives totaling up to four made free throws. Defensively, he was his typical self - active nearly to a fault - but he was just desperately outsized by the Randolph/Gasol duo and was basically reserved for Ed Davis duty. Remarkably, in 11 minutes, nobody attempted a single shot on him. Because of the above considerations, and because of his good rebound total, I'll give him a decent grade for a guy who didn't score. --Capt.

placeholder...

Last edited:
I know it's en vogue to not blame officiating for a loss because, after all, if you make each and every shot you take and stop the opposition on every possession, officiating doesn't matter in the end ... BUT this game was a prime example how officiating can determine the winner. Both teams were awful for most the game and couldn't gain any separation from the other, until the Kings managed to not play as bad as Menphis for a short stretch thus forging a 7-point lead late in the 4th. At that point, horrible officiating took over and allowed the Grizzlies to get back into the game.

When I state "horrible" officiating, I mean lack of consistent calls on both ends. Bad calls are going to happen. But when things are called one way on one end of the floor and not the other, that's when officiating deserves to be blamed.

Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol got away with 5 or 6 blatant reaches during the last 3 minutes of the game. In each instance, they grabbed nothing but arm. Randolph did it twice to JT and once to Isaiah when he split the defense. The reason it's unacceptable and worthy of blame is because the Kings weren't getting away with the same reaches on the other end.

Prime example was the play that got Memphis their 3 point lead. Rudy was blocked at the basket by Gasol, JT got the rebound and was raked across the arms by Randolph with no contact to the ball. Lee ended up with the ball and Rudy Gay reached across Lee's body and actually made contact with the ball, unlike Randolph, but was called for the foul. There were several plays just like that the last 3 minutes. Pretty hard to overcome one sided officiating like that, especially when you aren't playing all that well.

Lastly, IT has to stop playing hero ball the last few minutes of the game. He's a good player, but his decision making down the stretch the past few games has been quite poor.

Last edited:
I'm just glad my heart was racing down the stretch of a Kings vs Grizzlies road game. We would have been blown out by half time last year. We are getting better guys, we have a lot to learn but we have time to do it. The team defense has been much better overall but theres plenty of room for improvement, and this is without really any standout defensive players.

I'm just glad my heart was racing down the stretch of a Kings vs Grizzlies road game. We would have been blown out by half time last year. We are getting better guys, we have a lot to learn but we have time to do it. The team defense has been much better overall but theres plenty of room for improvement, and this is without really any standout defensive players.
From a "glass is half full" perspective, I concur. Also, we have to acknowledge, Memphis plays excellent team defense anchored by a very good big man in the middle. They can make most teams look bad offensively. They are very active and pesky. They certainly bothered the Kings on most half court possessions.

K

KingMilz

You know, I'd have a real hard time giving an F grade to a guy who pulled down 17 rebounds despite being absolutely pounded all night long. Not gonna happen.
Empty stats tbh, he pulled 17boards down cause
a). He played no defence and just sagged back hoping for a miss similar to what Kevin Love does. It's one thing to play good D than pull down a board it's another thing to play no D and wait for people to miss.
b). He got offensive boards after taking awful shots only to go back up with another awful shot to get rejected. So basically all the 2nd chances he got he wasted.

He also despite putting up better "raw numbers" got completely out played by Gasol who had a far greater impact. Cousins stopped the ball, took low % shots and really his impact on the game was far more negitive than positve, but yeah lets all talk about 17 rebounds.

a). He played no defence and just sagged back hoping for a miss similar to what Kevin Love does. It's one thing to play good D than pull down a board it's another thing to play no D and wait for people to miss.
b). He got offensive boards after taking awful shots only to go back up with another awful shot to get rejected. So basically all the 2nd chances he got he wasted.

He also despite putting up better "raw numbers" got completely out played by Gasol who had a far greater impact. Cousins stopped the ball, took low % shots and really his impact on the game was far more negitive than positve, but yeah lets all talk about 17 rebounds.
You're overstating it a bit.

Offensive boards that were then shot and blocked = 1. Just incase you wanted to edit that to be accurate before Slim sees it. Only 3 offensive rebounds on the night, too and only 1 of those was off his own shot (which was from a missed Gay shot first).

Entity

Hall of Famer

So you are saying he waited for gasol to miss instead of playing defense to accumulate 17 rebounds??? He had exactly 1 rebound off a gasol miss. So that shots your a). To hell and back. He had 3 offensive rebounds. So now b). Is gone.

So 13 rebounds were legit in your eyes I guess. The other 3 because of empty stats. You're reaching for something here, I'm not sure what but you are reaching.

That was a terrible pass from IT to Gay on the final possession. A bounce pass to someone 2-3 ft away, in traffic? Super cool! I don't really blame the loss on that one play because the Kings' play the last 4 minutes was absolutely terrible basketball on both sides of the court. I loved the double screens that Memphis used late, and those probably won them the game.

Cousins inability to get position on the low block in crunch times confuses me. Is the plan to post high, so that he can face and drive ... or were the Memphis bigs just that effective in keeping him off the low block? Our offense looks easy to guard down the stretch. We hardly get into a set with more than 12 seconds left on the shot clock, so if something isn't there right away it ends up being a poor look. I give Memphis credit, but would expect the Kings to grow from this and be able to win that game the next time around. Tough loss.

Entity

Hall of Famer
That was a terrible pass from IT to Gay on the final possession. A bounce pass to someone 2-3 ft away, in traffic? Super cool! I don't really blame the loss on that one play because the Kings' play the last 4 minutes was absolutely terrible basketball on both sides of the court. I loved the double screens that Memphis used late, and those probably won them the game.

Cousins inability to get position on the low block in crunch times confuses me. Is the plan to post high, so that he can face and drive ... or were the Memphis bigs just that effective in keeping him off the low block? Our offense looks easy to guard down the stretch. We hardly get into a set with more than 12 seconds left on the shot clock, so if something isn't there right away it ends up being a poor look. I give Memphis credit, but would expect the Kings to grow from this and be able to win that game the next time around. Tough loss.
Gasol was defensive player of the year last year. Couple that with double and sometimes triple team help. Cuz is a beast a it takes more than the best to stop him. That's if 22pts 17 Rebs is stoping him

C+ for Gay!!!!

Don't agree with that at all. He was very selfish tonight. Tried to take it upon himself to beat his old team. Extremely TO prone. Was blocked 5 times. Defense was fine, but Prince is good for maybe 7 PPG nowadays

Bricklayer

C+ for Gay!!!!

Don't agree with that at all. He was very selfish tonight. Tried to take it upon himself to beat his old team. Extremely TO prone. Was blocked 5 times. Defense was fine, but Prince is good for maybe 7 PPG nowadays
One note about most of the grades tonight is this: if I gave everybody the grades that I felt like giving them after this loss, there is no way that the collective would add up to a team that lost to a hot Memphis team by 1pt on its home floor.

If Boogie is a measuring stick, and I believe, he is by now, Gasol indeed looks like the DPOY. The last center Cousins hasn't figure out. Not for long, I think.