Rudy Gay to Sacramento!!!

Entity

Hall of Famer
I had considered that, or Jimmer. But there is just basically no evidence whatsoever that we have given those guys any serious consideration at that level, nor that as young players they would have any chance of controlling/directing an established star like Gay. It was always why my darkhorse followup to a Gay trade would be a Rondo trade. Its pretty clear what the PG next to Gay and Cousins (and oh, looking forward to all the cheap remarks about our "Gay Cousins" duo) should look like. Its not IT.
Beno sitting there in NY with Ian shum

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The media don't know much more than we do. They just have a larger audience.
I was merely pointing out that the media he referred to aren't the only national sports media. I am incredibly well aware of how little they know a lot of the time. ;)

Very nice trade! At least we have a REAL SF now. And we get to move IT into the starting lineup where he has belonged all year.

dude12

Hall of Famer
not particularly, but that's also not my point. this team has not become better because of this trade. in my opinion, they're worse, because they're going to run into the same problems they had last season: too many guys who need the ball in their hands to be effective, not enough willing to share the ball, and little in the way of defense or rebounding. since i happen to be among those who believe the kings' best chance to improve sooner rather than later is through the upcoming draft, i hope i'm right...
If you look at Gay's numbers, ignoring his shooting % for a moment, he fills the stat sheet from the SF psition...rebounds very well, gets to the foul line, has 1.3 blocks per game, 1.6 stls per game, hits 38% of his 3s....clear upgrade in these departments. If Malone controls his shot selection and Gay is more efficient shooting, then we are clearly better....if not and he continues to chuck shots asking 38% from the field, then we are not better.

Minutes wise, he's going to eat up PPats time and some of Salmons.....he's jst better than those 2 in all of the above listed categories

K

KingMilz

If you look at Gay's numbers, ignoring his shooting % for a moment, he fills the stat sheet from the SF psition...rebounds very well, gets to the foul line, has 1.3 blocks per game, 1.6 stls per game, hits 38% of his 3s....clear upgrade in these departments. If Malone controls his shot selection and Gay is more efficient shooting, then we are clearly better....if not and he continues to chuck shots asking 38% from the field, then we are not better.

Minutes wise, he's going to eat up PPats time and some of Salmons.....he's jst better than those 2 in all of the above listed categories
Cousins will control his shot selection more than anyone since the offence is ran through him, Gay is no longer playing with very average talent like Jonas he's got Cousins who will take a world of pressure off him and Gay will take pressure off Cousins. The coaching staff will take over if he gets wild and tell him he needs to give the ball to Cuz.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
You haven't asked a question.
The question was, what qualifies Haralabos Voulgaris and "netw3rk" to be recognized as the media? I didn't ask what their basketball acumen was, I asked what their media credentials were? Amick and Wojnarowski are actual journalists. Journalists are part of the media. Twitter is not the media; it is a tool that is often used by the media, among other people, who are not the media. Voulgaris is a professional gambler. If I take your word for it, he's a very smart gambler. But, just because he's smart, doesn't make him the media.

You were asked for examples of where the trade was getting criticized in the media, and you cited him. And I want to know what makes him the media?

The prospect of seeing how a lineup of Cousins, Gay, McLemore, IT works sounds lightyears more interesting than another season of Salmons, Hayes, Patterson and Vasquez. Its also much different than Cousins, Evans, IT, Thornton.

2013-14 IT > 2012-2013 IT

Gay>Evans(and is a all around scorer rather than ball dominant rim attacker)

Current Mclemore=2012 Thornton (imo with a much higher ceiling and a way better team player, and is clearly a long term starter while Thornton's future was clearly as a bench scorer)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Random thought: If Acy's name was Agy, all three of our new acquisitions would share three letters in their name. :)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I was merely pointing out that the media he referred to aren't the only national sports media. I am incredibly well aware of how little they know a lot of the time. ;)
And I'm taking it one further, and pointing out that the guys he referred to aren't actual national sports media. They're just guys who are regarded as being smart about basketball, who have a lot of followers on Twitter.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And I'm taking it one further, and pointing out that the guys he referred to aren't actual national sports media. They're just guys who are regarded as being smart about basketball, who have a lot of followers on Twitter.
You'll get no disagreement from me. Twitter is creating a whole generation of people whose idea of in-depth commentary is limited to 140 characters of pithy remarks with questionable sourcing. Good old-fashioned reporters (the word used disdainfully by macadocious) are a dying breed and it's a shame.

Another thing this trade does is make our rotations tighter because it is clear now who our best players are, rather than having platoons at 3 positions (PG, SF, PF). Only question mark becomes how Malone handles PF now and when Landry comes back.

Cousins 35+ mpg, when possible/JT 12mpg/Gray
Williams?/JT?/Acy
Gay 36mpg/Williams 12 mpg
Mclemore 30 mpg/ Thornton 18 mpg
IT 36 mpg/ Mcallum or Jimmer 12 mpg

Never mind. I re-read it..

He's a SF through and through. Something we have not had in years. Whether or not he could bring anything to the team that we could use is up in the air but we did get rid of 4 players that just didn't fit or were flat out crap.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Random thought #2: All three of our new players will need to select new numbers since their numbers from Toronto are:

22 - Rudy Gay
4 - Quincy Acy
34 - Aaron Gray

Entity

Hall of Famer
What if I told you last year we could trade salmons, Hayes, Evans for Rudy gay? Pretty much what we did minus the fodder of Ppat Cisco Robinson gray and acy

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Random thought #2: All three of our new players will need to select new numbers since their numbers from Toronto are:

22 - Rudy Gay
4 - Quincy Acy
34 - Aaron Gray
I was going to suggest that Gay had enough money to buy #22 from Thomas but, then I remembered that, even if Thomas would sell, you're not allowed to change numbers mid-season.

K

KingMilz

Acy is a crazy athlete as well this team is crazy athletic, we might be nicknamed Bang City since we going to be banging on your team at a arena near you.

What if I told you last year we could trade salmons, Hayes, Evans for Rudy gay? Pretty much what we did minus the fodder of Ppat Cisco Robinson gray and acy
That would have been considered an absolute steal, Memphis Rudy Gay was a top 5 SF in the league. Toronto Rudy Gay has gotten a bad rap, much like Milwaukee Monta Ellis did and he is doing great things for the Mavs.

I would think they would be higher regarded than reporters since they actually know about the game. Do they have to be paid by a magazine to be considered media? They have written blogs, articles, twitter, etc. All of that is media. So just because you don't believe that qualifies doesn't make it so.

Actual sports media, as you refer to them, are the talking heads who just say stuff to get reactions. Like Stephen A Smith. Wojo, Amick, etc. are more reporting on the happenings in sports vs. the actual ramification of those happenings. I've never seen Wojo break down player and all the things he can give and cannot give to a team with stats to back up his findings.