Rudy Gay to Sacramento!!!

If Gay is the 2nd option, how effective will IT be as the 3rd option? He flourished as the #1 guy off the bench, and when he played with Cuz he was more 1b than #2.

IT has showed passing ability (or maybe he has just had the ball more), so if he can channel that as a starter maybe it'll work.
It's got to be a concentrated effort from all 3 guys. It's got the potential to be a stunningly prolific offensive trio; IF (and possibly the biggest if in the history of the word "if") they have the maturity to sacrifice some of their "me first" mentality and work to get each other quality looks. If they don't, it's going to be highly reminiscent of what happened when IT-Thornton-Reke-Cousins were all in the starting 5 together.

I think Ray is a long term backup, and IT is a great 6th man about to get paid. So that doesn't really gel unless the FO sees IT as a starter.
IT packaged with one of the remaining contracts for a more passing/defense oriented player makes sense.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Which is a concern, especially with IT taking over at PG. Gay has a ridiculously large usage percentage himself, as does IT. Those guys can NOT keep on at those paces without freezing out DeMarcus Cousins, at which point he has my permission to actually just tear their heads clean from their bodies, and go back and post up.
He should do what Barkley claimed he used to do, when he he went back-to-back possessions without getting the ball: just park in the paint, and let himself get called for 3sec.

Folks here who thinks Gay/Williams at SF/PF would not work should take a look at games where Miami plays Lebron at 4 or OKC playing Durant at 4 not only in regular season but in playoffs as well. I'm not against JT starting but the game is changing and the use of "stretch 4" is nothing new now even in elite teams.
I'm just amazed that after all this, JT is still a King. Has any other role player done this in recent memory?

It's got to be a concentrated effort from all 3 guys. It's got the potential to be a stunningly prolific offensive trio; IF (and possibly the biggest if in the history of the word "if") they have the maturity to sacrifice some of their "me first" mentality and work to get each other quality looks. If they don't, it's going to be highly reminiscent of what happened when IT-Thornton-Reke-Cousins were all in the starting 5 together.
Prolific? Maybe. All 3 have potential as passers, but so far all of their value has come from scoring. IT has been great because he has been getting to the line and hitting 3's. Gay is one of those elite athletes who can create a decent shot at anytime (although you do not want that every, or even most, times)

Shots will have to come from somewhere, and Pat/Salmons/Hayes/GV were good (maybe best on the team) at not taking those from Cuz. DWill and Ben don't have a lot of possessions to give up either. I hope it works, but I see a team that is slightly better, much more exciting, and just as frustrating.

Ummm...and Salmons, PPat, Hayes and GV were being efficient?
not particularly, but that's also not my point. this team has not become better because of this trade. in my opinion, they're worse, because they're going to run into the same problems they had last season: too many guys who need the ball in their hands to be effective, not enough willing to share the ball, and little in the way of defense or rebounding. since i happen to be among those who believe the kings' best chance to improve sooner rather than later is through the upcoming draft, i hope i'm right...

I've watched a few Toronto games this year and it seems Gay brings ball up court as much as Lowry and way more than DeRozan. So maybe he actually does think he's a wanabee Lebron. DeRozan must be thrilled with trade as his chemistry with Gay seemed non-existent in their nightly who can chuck it the most contest. I suppose this deal is a wash for both teams unless only big-time star in the mix Gay excels in Sacramento and makes his case for a longer term stay. With all the enders Toronto got it's obvious they're looking at Wiggins sweepstakes (or whoever else is on their radar) because trade makes little sense otherwise. Of course getting rid of mostly marginal pieces Kings gave up is reason enough to celebrate but maybe Raptors feel the same unloading Gay's huge contract.

with gay most likely to opt out i think this trade puts us in a great position in terms of cap space. If we get some use out of him great but really we should be looking at getting our SF needs sorted this draft

Before last season, Gay wasn't necessarily an inefficient scorer considering the number of shots he was taking. He has all of the physical tools you would want in a SF, and is a decent shooter as well, so his offensive issues are really more about shot-selection than anything else. He isn't worth anywhere near what he is being paid now, but I'd much rather spend that money on him than watch another game with John Salmons in it.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
with gay most likely to opt out i think this trade puts us in a great position in terms of cap space. If we get some use out of him great but really we should be looking at getting our SF needs sorted this draft
Rudy Gay is not going to opt out of $19mil with the current state of his reputation. In fact if he was, the raptors just would have kept him themselves.

Maybe it's just me, but I tend to consider reporters to be the media much more so than a couple of "basketball minds" on Twitter. I'm a basketball mind: if I get on Twitter, does that make me part of the media, too?
Twitter is just the medium in which they communicate.

Lowe is the best NBA writer currently bar none, and has been rumored to be looked at by some NBA teams for GM or front office duties. Haralabob is the biggest NBA bettor there is and also was linked to possible GM jobs but didn't want to take a pay cut. These are not just random reporters.

I hate that I repeatedly have to differentiate when speaking about these guys. Wojo and Amick are reporters that give us info status of players and teams, the previous mentioned actually talk about and know the game, in detail. They are highly respected.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Lowe is the best NBA writer currently bar none, and has been rumored to be looked at by some NBA teams for GM or front office duties. Haralabob is the biggest NBA bettor there is and also was linked to possible GM jobs but didn't want to take a pay cut. These are not just random reporters.

I hate that I repeatedly have to differentiate when speaking about these guys. Wojo and Amick are reporters that give us info status of players and teams, the previous mentioned actually talk about and know the game, in detail. They are highly respected.
"Random reporters"? If you're trying to make the argument that somebody who handicaps basketball games has a more legitimate claim to being called a member of the media than an actual journalist, I can't take you seriously.

Which is a concern, especially with IT taking over at PG. Gay has a ridiculously large usage percentage himself, as does IT. Those guys can NOT keep on at those paces without freezing out DeMarcus Cousins, at which point he has my permission to actually just tear their heads clean from their bodies, and go back and post up.
I have aa"D" League solution for us. Don't sweat the little stuff, just start McCallum. Tomorrow start Ray. We'll be confused and at sea anyway so break him in now.

Do you know anything about him? He turned down front office positions because he would have taken a HUGE pay cut. He has quite possibly the most advanced algorithms for predicting basketball known, which are all very secret and propitiatory.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Well rotation times need to be adjusted for sure. You can't have all three going to bench together and coming back together. Salmons, Hayes, Ppat, and Vasquez combined for 23 attempts per game. Some nights 30. Gay should get a lot of those. Rotations should be a tighter 8-9 man. Gay should stay in when cuz is out and he gets a break when cuz comes back. Unless of course those two play well together then you don't worry about it.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I'm just amazed that after all this, JT is still a King. Has any other role player done this in recent memory?
JT can't be touched. He is the perfect player for this team. Doesn't demand shots. Shoots good enough to draw attention rebounds well. Defends well. Knows how to play inside with Demarcus.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I have aa"D" League solution for us. Don't sweat the little stuff, just start McCallum. Tomorrow start Ray. We'll be confused and at sea anyway so break him in now.

I had considered that, or Jimmer. But there is just basically no evidence whatsoever that we have given those guys any serious consideration at that level, nor that as young players they would have any chance of controlling/directing an established star like Gay. It was always why my darkhorse followup to a Gay trade would be a Rondo trade. Its pretty clear what the PG next to Gay and Cousins (and oh, looking forward to all the cheap remarks about our "Gay Cousins" duo) should look like. Its not IT.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Do you know anything about him? He turned down front office positions because he would have taken a HUGE pay cut. He has quite possibly the most advanced algorithms for predicting basketball known, which are all very secret and propitiatory.
This is a straw man. A very interesting straw man, but one, nonetheless. Would you mind terribly not answering a question I have not asked, and actually answer my question?

I would kill for a Rondo trade now even it involves IT.
We still got that Thornton contract add Outlaw in the plate.
We'll maybe I'm too high to dream now...But yeah, I'll kill for a Rondo trade anyday as long as DMC or Ben is not in it.