Who plays well with whom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top NBA coaches use statistical analysis to see what pairs of players or triples of players complement each other and have higher production when the play together. As part of the predict your line-up, I used the NBA.com stats compare function to look at players stats when on and off the court with another player. Using 48 min per on points and shooting percentage for efficiency, I compared the on/off stats for the players. The points and efficiency numbers shown are the combined delta for both players. The player impact is the combined teammate delta when anyone player is on the court. The results are not what I expected and worth some discussion.

Player pairs - In this table you can see that both Buddy, Fox and Frank play well with Kosta who sets big screens and provides and means for them to get open. You also see Willie plays well with Skal, I'm guessing because Skal can stretch the floor and create room for Willie. This might indicate success with Beli. Bogdan plays best with Skal and Jackson. Jackson is a cutting ball movement type of player who may find a fit with Giles, Beli and Bogdan who are all more motion and passing kind of players. I didn't add Vince but Vince is a plus 4.3 in points and a plus 14% in efficiency when Bogi is on the floor. Bogi is a plus 3.1 in points and 2.4 in efficiency when Vince is on the floor. That pairing would have been the highest in the table. This indicates Bogi is much more suited to play with other high IQ players and expect Giles, Beli and Bogi to be on the floor together a lot.
Pair.PNG

Player Impact- in this table you see player impact on their teammates. Strangely, Skal has the highest impact in terms of points increase and efficiency which might indicate the need for a stretch four and the signing of Beli. Surprisingly, Bogdan has the least impact and highlights the lack of players for him to pass and pass back on the team within this group of players. Both Carter and Temple would have raised Bogdan's impact scores significantly. Frank has a higher impact than Fox. I don't know if that is pro Frank of anti Fox.

Player Impact.PNG

Interesting. In the player impact table, I wonder if Bogdan is at the bottom because of his penchant to be too patient and pass up open looks to run a play and look for his teammates. He get some assists out of it but he can also put guys in iffy situations at the end of the shot clock instead of taking the open look 12 seconds earlier. I wonder if that has any impact at him being at the bottom of the list?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Top NBA coaches use statistical analysis to see what pairs of players or triples of players complement each other and have higher production when the play together. As part of the predict your line-up, I used the NBA.com stats compare function to look at players stats when on and off the court with another player. Using 48 min per on points and shooting percentage for efficiency, I compared the on/off stats for the players. The points and efficiency numbers shown are the combined delta for both players. The player impact is the combined teammate delta when anyone player is on the court. The results are not what I expected and worth some discussion.

Player pairs - In this table you can see that both Buddy, Fox and Frank play well with Kosta who sets big screens and provides and means for them to get open. You also see Willie plays well with Skal, I'm guessing because Skal can stretch the floor and create room for Willie. This might indicate success with Beli. Bogdan plays best with Skal and Jackson. Jackson is a cutting ball movement type of player who may find a fit with Giles, Beli and Bogdan who are all more motion and passing kind of players. I didn't add Vince but Vince is a plus 4.3 in points and a plus 14% in efficiency when Bogi is on the floor. Bogi is a plus 3.1 in points and 2.4 in efficiency when Vince is on the floor. That pairing would have been the highest in the table. This indicates Bogi is much more suited to play with other high IQ players and expect Giles, Beli and Bogi to be on the floor together a lot.
View attachment 8275

Player Impact- in this table you see player impact on their teammates. Strangely, Skal has the highest impact in terms of points increase and efficiency which might indicate the need for a stretch four and the signing of Beli. Surprisingly, Bogdan has the least impact and highlights the lack of players for him to pass and pass back on the team within this group of players. Both Carter and Temple would have raised Bogdan's impact scores significantly. Frank has a higher impact than Fox. I don't know if that is pro Frank of anti Fox.

View attachment 8276
Thanks for the info. It's going to take a while to figure out what it means, but it is interesting, especially the Skal part.

Interesting. In the player impact table, I wonder if Bogdan is at the bottom because of his penchant to be too patient and pass up open looks to run a play and look for his teammates. He get some assists out of it but he can also put guys in iffy situations at the end of the shot clock instead of taking the open look 12 seconds earlier. I wonder if that has any impact at him being at the bottom of the list?
Yeah I have been trying to understand the Bogdan gap also. It was interesting that Bogdan and Vince have a high plus. Would have been the highest pair of all and pulled up Bogdan’s average. Bogdan and Temple also had a plus.

I would think that on a young team with so many developing players this information while somewhat useful is more a metric to look back on and not so much a tool to use to devise a plan for the future.

Can you post statistics that include Hill, ZBo and Temple? They played significant amount of minutes last year and statistics without them are incomplete.
Yes ZBo is already there. I can do Hill, Vince and Temple but it will take some time. I will have to adjust the dates for Hill so it just includes his time on the Kings.

Interesting to compare these numbers with the net rating per-100 possessions for lineup pairs on Basketball-Reference. (Link here) Buddy/Bodgan show up on top at -4.0 points/100 possessions.

The link above only shows the top 20 lineups in terms of minutes played. The Frank/Z-Bo lineup, while netting -3.4 points/100 possessions, doesn't make the cut (they only played 182.5 minutes together) but if you go to Z-Bo's page (link here) you see that Frank was his best pairing. Otherwise, though, Z-Bo appears to be one of the worst pairings, as several of his pairs appear at the bottom of the top-20 minutes played list linked above.

T
Interesting to compare these numbers with the net rating per-100 possessions for lineup pairs on Basketball-Reference. (Link here) Buddy/Bodgan show up on top at -4.0 points/100 possessions.

The link above only shows the top 20 lineups in terms of minutes played. The Frank/Z-Bo lineup, while netting -3.4 points/100 possessions, doesn't make the cut (they only played 182.5 minutes together) but if you go to Z-Bo's page (link here) you see that Frank was his best pairing. Otherwise, though, Z-Bo appears to be one of the worst pairings, as several of his pairs appear at the bottom of the top-20 minutes played list linked above.
Interesting. Those seem to compare against opponents so if Willie and Bogdan are often in against starters on the other team their numbers would be worse. I would think an on off measure would better control for the effects of the other team.

Status
Not open for further replies.