Western Conference Finals here we come!

We're In!!:D Ahh it feels damn good to have SWEPT the Sparks and kick em out the playoffs AGAIN:cool: Great game ladies!! get your rest and get ready for a battle vs the Storm or Comets. Ticha's been doin the damn thing lately!:p 3rd year strait that we are goin to the WCF's.. Third Times the charm! :)

Congrats to the Monarchs. What a fight they put up tonight. It was great to watch, dang I wish I could have been there in person. They swept LA, now they have a few days off to rest and hopefully Walker will be able to play in the WCF. Good luck in WCF Monarchs, do the dang thing.

Little bit cleaner game tonight, glad they got it done in two and laid down some pressure on their opponent in the process.

Congratulations, take a couple of days off and get some much needed and deserved rest and then go straight back to work. Time to step it up another few notches.

Get it done!

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
The Coach of the Year came up big tonight. Besides his usual switching, the game finally turned in the 2nd half when he jumped up and took a T. That really really got the crowd into it, which really got our ladies into it. It was at that point that the M's went on a huge run and never looked back.

Ticha was an incredible floor general tonight. She knew when to score and she knew when to dish the rock, and she got everyone involved. I think we had 5-6 players in double figures (including Ticha who tied with Yo for high pts). So, Ticha tied for the lead with Yo in pts scored (13); she tied for the lead with Yo and Bekkah in rebs (6); she led in assts with 6; and, she led in steals with 3.

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
Anybody else hear Coach Bryant drop the s-bomb in the press conference?
No kidding? Was he ticked? Was he complimentary of the M's play? I missed the conf altogether. Hopefully, I can get the webcast on the wnba site.

Gosh, I love playoff basketball :D Good job ladies! Now they are rewarded with the weekend off, which according to the players is not the norm for Coach Whiz. We get to sick back and watch Sea-Hou (go Hou-at the very least make it a 3 game series, please!) and hopefully get some of our players some needed rest to heal physically and mentally.

Kara said post game on the radio that the D isn't at where it needs to be, and I would agree with that. While they certainly had their moments in this series, it needs to be sharpened up for the next round. LA despite their abundance of indiviudual talent was still a "team" (I don't even think you can call them that, they were still more like a group of inviduals who just happen to be wearing the same jersey) just lucky to get in, IMHO.

In any case its on to the WFC and while that is an accomplishment in and of itself, been there done that....too many times. Lets see what we can now with this team. :)

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
He did? Well, if that's true, I guess that's one guy who probably won't be back to coach the Sparks next season.

The Sparks are going to have to get their coaching situation straightened out and hire someone who truly understands the women's game, and not just hire a famous name with little experience in coaching!

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
6th said:
No kidding? Was he ticked? Was he complimentary of the M's play? I missed the conf altogether. Hopefully, I can get the webcast on the wnba site.
Bryant was asked a question about Leslie's difficulties playing in ARCO, and whether he thought that she would return to her old form next year:

Bryant: "Well, it's really hard to say, and it's really not for me to make a decision on... Like I said, I just came in here... (laughs) fifteen days ago... And, I've heard people talking about... well, ****, the Lakers have problems playing here, too, so... (laughs) it's not just Lisa and the Sparks..."

He was... overall complimentary, I suppose... there was, obviously, a point where he implied that the referees made some questionable calls, and indicated that he feels that players should determine the outcomes of games, rather than referees... He also had a very high opinion of Penicheiro.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:
yeah I heard it...did u hear when he called the Monarch's bigs horses? I don't think he was trying to be mean, but he was giving sac. their props...also Nikki Teasley was giving major props to the M's..also...she wants them to win the whole thing..:)

yep, I heard that s-bomb dropped. Somewhat similar to the expletive laden conference Michael Cooper had after they knocked the M's out one year. Watching Whiz, he reminded me of Mr. Rogers for some reason. Maybe its the midwestern demeanor he has. I couldn't hear what he said completely but there was a moment he had said something and ended up wishing he had phrased it differently so he tried quickly to rework his words. And it kills me how deeply Whiz reads that stat sheet.

Nikki Teasley actually was likeable after watching her press conference.

The Sparks' problem this year was they looked beyond the obvious folks who wanted the job to grab somebody. And the somebody he did grab, who by all accounts is basketball brilliant, really did not come in with the correct level of deference to this league and the players - and he pretty much acknowledged that he probably would have fared better if he wasn't hired as late in the year as he was. Bryant also has coaching experience too, but they just grabbed him midway through the season. They let their second chair/interim head coach get away to Houston's bench and that was a HUGE mistake. Can't remember who it was, but there was a former Laker who was BEGGING them to let him coach. I'd put money on the guy getting the gig next year, and that they might actually hire him at an appropriate time to get prepared for next year.

Question I had when I saw Masciadri start....was Mabika hurt?

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Eh, Bryant struck me as being infinitely less despicable than Cooper. At least he didn't go the backhanded compliment route like Cooper did. In fact, aside from being Kobe Bryant's father, I don't think he's all that bad...

Great win, but also room to improve (especially free throws). It's wonderful to finally see Ticha play to her potential. ARCO was rocking! What a great atmosphere. BTW, does anyone know why FeiFei wasn't there (even in street clothes)?

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Still JD said:
BTW, does anyone know why FeiFei wasn't there (even in street clothes)?
We were wondering the same thing. It is possible that she has returned to China, but I am hoping that is not the case. Good to see Miao there.

I noticed her gone too. I remember the story being when they signed that the national team released them under the condition that they would return to China in Sept. in time to prepare for the Asian championships.

Maybe Teasley wants to be a Monarch next season! I really enjoyed hearing her interview. She showed alot of class & respect. Something you don't see much on the court.

I just hope she didn't have it on too long, or else she's gonna have some hot pink streaks on her forehead!! :D

On a completely separate note....does anyone have the LA series on tape? I'd love to get another look at those games.

Still JD said:
Great win, but also room to improve (especially free throws). It's wonderful to finally see Ticha play to her potential. ARCO was rocking! What a great atmosphere. BTW, does anyone know why FeiFei wasn't there (even in street clothes)?
Feifei flew back to China earlier in the week. Apparently she had obligations with her home team in China for a major tournament. Miao Lijie will be leaving this week for the same reason.

GeorgeofSacramento said:
Feifei flew back to China earlier in the week. Apparently she had obligations with her home team in China for a major tournament. Miao Lijie will be leaving this week for the same reason.
Damn...

I like Maio...She is so funny to me. Sad to see them go. Fei Fei always had cute outfits. Wish we got a chance to really see her full arsonal of skills. In the few occasions we saw her, she show some nice passing skills.

Luv13fan said:
Damn...

I like Maio...She is so funny to me. Sad to see them go. Fei Fei always had cute outfits. Wish we got a chance to really see her full arsonal of skills. In the few occasions we saw her, she show some nice passing skills.
I just came back from visiting Miao as she was packing for her trip home. She told me that Coach Whisenant was happy with her progress and defense and wanted her back next season. She really loved playing here in Sacramento. When I asked her how she felt about having so little playing time, she said that even though they were big stars in China, she considered herself and Feifei as rookies who had to earn their time on the floor. That's class.

Last edited:

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
GeorgeofSacramento said:
I just came back from visiting Miao as she was packing for her trip home. She told me that Coach Whisnant was happy with her progress and defense and wanted her back next season. She really loved playing here in Sacramento. When I asked her how she felt about having so little playing time, she said that even though they were big stars in China, she considered herself and Feifei as rookies who had to earn their time on the floor. That's class.
You bet that is class, George. AFAIC - she is welcome back next year. I think they will continue to improve if Coach Whiz stays on as coach.

I totally agree. Some other "professional" athletes bad-mouth the coach or team about not starting or lack of playing time. Others stop talking so they can listen and learn from the team. Instead of being jealous of Kristin & Chelsea's success, they were happy for their teammates. That's why they both delayed their departures as their teams in China were already playing. Miao especially wanted to stay as long as possible to root for her team!

No doubt two classy athletes. This has been a great experience for them both to learn the WNBA game & to get aquanited with the English language.
I hope they continue to grow & we all wish them great success....
Thanks for the memories!!!

Last edited: