Welcome Chimezie Metu

Dude was a beast at USC. Think a more defensive orientated WCS. Raw, blocks, dunks, rolls. Not much else, but may have developed under the Spurs.

I want the Kings to tank, but really like what they’re building around Fox. Fox with athletes on the wings (Ramsey and Woodard), shooters (Ramsey, Buddy, n Halliburton), athletic bigs who can run (Metu, Bags, Holmes), and two shot blocking bigs (Whiteside n Metu). Going to be a fun team.

Defense will be much better with the two shot alterers in the paint n Woodard, Fox, Barnes, n Hali on the perimeter gambling.

Bonus: Ramsey has the build to be an elite defender, but dude is on skates. Needs to shore up those fundamentals.

Keith Smith @KeithSmithNBA
Chimezie Metu got part of the Non-Tax MLE from the Sacramento Kings on a three-year, veteran minimum deal. 20-21 is guaranteed for $50K, becoming $250K guaranteed on opening night, then full on 2/27/21. 21-22 & 22-23 become fully guaranteed on 7/15/21 & 7/15/22 respectively.

Keith Smith @KeithSmithNBA
Chimezie Metu got part of the Non-Tax MLE from the Sacramento Kings on a three-year, veteran minimum deal. 20-21 is guaranteed for $50K, becoming $250K guaranteed on opening night, then full on 2/27/21. 21-22 & 22-23 become fully guaranteed on 7/15/21 & 7/15/22 respectively.
So is this

A. 3 year , 15th man roster spot or
B. Gone by day before opening night

Since he was signed before Frank the Tank my guess its gonna be B

Dude was a beast at USC. Think a more defensive orientated WCS. Raw, blocks, dunks, rolls. Not much else, but may have developed under the Spurs.

I want the Kings to tank, but really like what they’re building around Fox. Fox with athletes on the wings (Ramsey and Woodard), shooters (Ramsey, Buddy, n Halliburton), athletic bigs who can run (Metu, Bags, Holmes), and two shot blocking bigs (Whiteside n Metu). Going to be a fun team.

Defense will be much better with the two shot alterers in the paint n Woodard, Fox, Barnes, n Hali on the perimeter gambling.

Bonus: Ramsey has the build to be an elite defender, but dude is on skates. Needs to shore up those fundamentals.
At 19 the outlook is promising. Finally the Kings take on a potential project that is athletic, shows skill, is there physically, and actually has upside.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Welcome to the Kings Chimezie! I'll never complain about the Kings adding an SC player! I saw him play maybe a half dozen times at the Galen Center -- he was the second best player on a very inconsistent USC team that also featured future NBA players Jordan McLaughlin and DeAnthony Melton and made some noise in the tournament one year. That period of SC basketball ended in a cloud of scandal after the FBI investigation into Christian Dawkins went public (about which there's a fascinating HBO documentary called The Scheme). Melton got dismissed from the team mid-season and I think Metu was implicated too in some way. Bennie Boatwright was probably the most talented player on that team but he got lazy and stopped playing defense and now he's in the G League trying to work his way into the NBA.

As for Metu the player, I like him. He's a good athlete, finishes plays above the rim, surprisingly competent face-up off the dribble game. He could be very dangerous as a roll man alongside passing guards who like to throw lobs. I don't know how much opportunity he'll get playing behind Bagley, Holmes, Whiteside and Bjelica but he's a nice player to take a chance on and see if he develops into something more significant over the next few years.