Vivek, time to extend Monte!

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I didn't even mention Brown, which obviously was a huge decision.

The dysfunction of hiring GMs, letting them hire a coach, firing the GM and saddling the next executive with a coach he didn't choose just to start the cycle again is just a dumb merry-go-round that I want off of.
It just shows you how bad things can go by someone like Larry Bird saying they want a part of the franchise and Vivek saying no. lol. Since then it was coach, then GM, coach, then GM.

Let me preface this by saying that I'm a fan of McNair. But it's a pretty low bar to be the best Kings GM since Petrie. So far the quick summary of McNair's tenure is:
  • Solid if unspectacular first round picks that skew older and more NBA-ready: Haliburton, Mitchell, Murray.
  • No real success to speak of with 2nd round picks unless Queta becomes a rotation player in the future
  • One major trade - Haliburton, Hield and Thompson, for Sabonis, Lamb, & Holiday plus a SRP
  • One other significant trade - Harkless, Holiday, and protected FRP for Huerter
  • Several minor trades - some good (SRP for Terance Davis), some bad (Delon Wright for Tristan Thompson), most pretty inconsequential (Bagley for DiVincenzo, Cory Joseph and 2 SRPs for Delon Wright, Bjelica for Harkless, the rights to Hardy for future SRPs etc)
  • One major signing in Malik Monk
  • Lots of minor signings (Whiteside, Metu, DaQuan Jeffries, Glenn Robinson, Damian Jones, Alex Len, re-signed Holmes, Keon Ellis that are overall positive, and a few that were clearly made for Brown (Moneke, Okpala, Dellavedova, keeping Metu)
Not an amazing track record, but he's gradually increased the talent level. As long as he and Brown have a good working relationship I think you need to re-sign him just to have the consistency and continuity that the Kings have lacked since Petrie and Adelman.

I can understand people who argue that McNair hasn't done enough and that he's building a team that can make the playoffs but will never win a championship. There's some validity to that criticism, at least as things stand now. But for me, the Kings are fun again. That's all I want. And if he can continue to have that be the case, I'll be happy.
The bolded statement seems unnecessarily harsh to Monte. Solid if unspectacular??? He drafted basketball Jesus at #12. I mean seriously, his one major trade was lampooned by the media and many on this board because of how good his Haliburton pick was. If you draft three guys, and one of them is supposedly a no doubt about it All Star, it is really hard to get only a solid/unspectacular grade. Davion looks like he can be a rotational NBA player with a particular skill that is excellent. Keegan is at the very least a rotational NBA player, so I not sure how one All Star and 2 rotation players (with undefined ceilings) is unspectacular. He is basically an MLB player who is 3-3 with a Home Run, single, and at least another single.

The bolded statement seems unnecessarily harsh to Monte. Solid if unspectacular??? He drafted basketball Jesus at #12. I mean seriously, his one major trade was lampooned by the media and many on this board because of how good his Haliburton pick was. If you draft three guys, and one of them is supposedly a no doubt about it All Star, it is really hard to get only a solid/unspectacular grade. Davion looks like he can be a rotational NBA player with a particular skill that is excellent. Keegan is at the very least a rotational NBA player, so I not sure how one All Star and 2 rotation players (with undefined ceilings) is unspectacular. He is basically an MLB player who is 3-3 with a Home Run, single, and at least another single.
Agree with this other than it’s way too early to form any sort of opinion about Keegan

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was trying to be as critical as I could (again, I'm a fan of the job Monte has done) and the counterpoint from naysayers will be that Haliburton fell into his lap so he shouldn't get credit for that pick.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Vlade: ****s up over and over again, making one franchise crippling move after another through poor FA acquisitions, trades, historic draft blunders, and awful coaching hires.

Vivek: Re-sign the man!!!!!!

McNair: completely rebuilds Vlade's trash roster in three offseasons through a series of smart draft picks, trades, and FA signings, then tops it off by hiring the best coach the Kings have had since RA.

Vivek: ehhhhh, lemme think about it some more, my daughter is doing good work in the g-league, and she'll come cheap!

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
Came here to post the same thing.

It would be classic Kings/Vivek to drop everything and chase Myers, miss out, and meanwhile lose McNair to another team.
Oh god that's exactly how this all goes to ****.

Myers will use Vivek as leverage to get more money from GS, because Vivek is an idiot with a Warriors fetish, so of course.

Meanwhile, the slighted McNair goes elsewhere. The league is noticing the great work he's done here, and crappy GMs are getting canned every summer, so there's going to be vacancies.

Fretting over imaginary scenarios and Kings fans. Name a more iconic duo.
See, it's imaginary scenarios for most teams/franchises but we are talking about the owner/organization who used the excuse of the best player on the team getting sick to fire a very popular coach (who's gone on to be one of the better coaches in the NBA) who started the year 9-6.

I still don't fully trust Vivek won't f this up somehow.

See, it's imaginary scenarios for most teams/franchises but we are talking about the owner/organization who used the excuse of the best player on the team getting sick to fire a very popular coach (who's gone on to be one of the better coaches in the NBA) who started the year 9-6.

I still don't fully trust Vivek won't f this up somehow.
If only we could go back to the good old days; whatever happened to the guy that hired Malone to his first head coaching job in the first place?

I'm still hoping that Vivek does the right thing and signs Monte to an extension BEFORE the February trade season/deadline. I'm hoping that the Kings finish the next month strong, where Vivek has NO CHOICE but to sign Monte to the extension that he deserves.

Ham said that Vivek and Monte talk daily so at least they are in constant communication. Letting Monte trade Hali and hire Brown doesn’t make any sense if Vivek has even the smallest inclination to move on. As much as it doesn’t make sense that a deal isn’t done I have to think it still happens.