U.S. Open

Johannsen, the Swede did it!!!!!!!!!!
Great news for an old Stefan Edberg fan. What a match w/ the two sluggers dooking it out. Love this Joachim Johannsen guy. Mats Wilander said it last night. When this guy is on his game he can beat em all. Gotta love the cool demeanor of these Swedes. Very calm and collected. Nice game. Huge upset.

Lotta hungry impressive men in the semis. Johanssen, Henman, Hewitt and Federer. Still think the Fed is tough to beat but hard to say...

Also was terribly bothered to see Serena robbed in her match w/ Capriati. Four terrible calls in a close match. Hard to stay focused when the calls persistently go against you although Serena took the high road once again. Hats off to Serena. Never been a big fan of hers but she is definitely winning me over...

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Nazman said:
Johannsen, the Swede did it!!!!!!!!!!
Great news for an old Stefan Edberg fan. What a match w/ the two sluggers dooking it out. Love this Joachim Johannsen guy. Mats Wilander said it last night. When this guy is on his game he can beat em all. Gotta love the cool demeanor of these Swedes. Very calm and collected. Nice game. Huge upset.

Lotta hungry impressive men in the semis. Johanssen, Henman, Hewitt and Federer. Still think the Fed is tough to beat but hard to say...

Also was terribly bothered to see Serena robbed in her match w/ Capriati. Four terrible calls in a close match. Hard to stay focused when the calls persistently go against you although Serena took the high road once again. Hats off to Serena. Never been a big fan of hers but she is definitely winning me over...
Should be exciting semi-final matches. I would pick Federer to win, but that would just bring him bad luck. I never seem to pick the right player. ;)

I agree about Serena. I have a lot of respect for Venus and Serena. They have worked hard to get where they are in the tennis world. Serena showed a lot of class when she admitted that her own unforced errors were the real cause for her losing to Capriati. But, I cannot imagine trying to focus on a match where I kept getting robbed on the calls...not once, twice, but 4 times. That was just sad for tennis.

It's always a great treat to watch the U.S. Open from NY. Especially the night matches. One of my favorite occasions in professional sports.

I was overwhelmed to see one of my old time beloved tennis stars of yesteryear, Jimmy Connors being interviewed last night during the rain delay. What a treat! He is such an enigma of sorts who seems to age like a fine vintage wine. Seems he left the game for awhile to give back to his wife and family who gave him so many memorable years to make his mark on tennis. Great to hear that he's playing again and trying to get McEnroe lined up for some doubles competition. Sounds like they want to go after Sampras and whomever. That would be great TV viewing.

And then the Mac Phone was lots of fun w/ guest Mats Wilander on board. I tried my *** off to get a phone call in. Wanted to ask Mats about his guitar stuff. Both he and Mac are hard core rockers and one of a host of musicians that play the great game of tennis (or vice versa). Thought Mats would've loved to field that question. But, again, he warned us that Joachim Johanssen would be a force to reckon with tonight and he was right.

Couple of great days ahead at the U.S.Open. My bet is on Lindsay although i know many will be pullin' for Jennifer. Federer or Hewitt on the men's side although Johannsen could be the dark horse if he can stay focused. Federer has got the all around game and so he is clearly the favorite...

Stay tuned...Keep your eye on the ball.

Last edited:
6th said:
Should be exciting semi-final matches. I would pick Federer to win, but that would just bring him bad luck. I never seem to pick the right player. ;)

I agree about Serena. I have a lot of respect for Venus and Serena. They have worked hard to get where they are in the tennis world. Serena showed a lot of class when she admitted that her own unforced errors were the real cause for her losing to Capriati. But, I cannot imagine trying to focus on a match where I kept getting robbed on the calls...not once, twice, but 4 times. That was just sad for tennis.
Sixth, that's about as closely aligned as you and i have ever been on an issue (except our devotion to the Kings)...Nice to hear your thoughts on it...

Definately Federer, the man is too skilled. He has a brilliant blend of power and finesse and he usually outsmarts his opponents. My money is on him. Although, Hewitt hasn't dropped a set the entire U.S open. Look for him to make some noise too.

Amazing match by Johanssen to get his act together after dropping the 3rd and 4th set. I was definitely rooting for the upset to happen. Hewitt should pose another interesting matchup in the semis. However, I don't think there is anyone that can beat Fed in the finals when it comes right down to it.

In the women's draw, its even more interesting since there is really not a clear cut favorite. It'd be nice for Capriati to finally get the US Open Championship she has time in time again fallen short of attaining. If I had to put money on it, I wouldn't be surprised if its either of the dark horse Russians who end up taking it.

Well the Prognosticator makes it one out of 2. Coulda been worse.

Even though i was out on the coast for the weekend (that was the right move!) and missed lots of the action i gotta say it was quite a tournament. Yes, Federer was a lock for his 3rd Slam of the Year but who would have thought he'd do it w/ two bagels in hand. Hewitt is no slouch but Fed steamrolled him. What's not to love about this Fed!

As for the women what's up w/ the Russians? They came outta nowhere as far as i'm concerned. Been a long time since they were such a force in Tennis but look what they did this year. Relative unknowns emerging in three of the four slams, Myskina at the French, Sharapova at Wimbledon and then the K-stova in NY w/ two Russians in the Final. Impressive.

We'll see if it holds up in the coming year. Again, you gotta like Serena and she is very much growing in the hearts of the Tennis Nation but w/ 2004 fading it's hard to say what's in store for 2005.

Stay tuned...
Tennis fans at KF, keep it alive....