• Toronto Raptors
  • Detroit Pistons
East Group C

• Boston Celtics
  • Cleveland Cavaliers
  • Chicago Bulls
  • Atlanta Hawks
  • Washington Wizards

Damn some pretty uneven draws. NBA needs to do a better job of seeding this thing. Golden State is screwed and won’t win a game. Plus some hard road trips to Memphis and New Orleans. OKC with a cake walk.

For some reason I feel like the rockets will be our new “pelicans”next year….the team we inexplicably can’t beat and get to play extra times due to the nba cup.

How or why exactly do they need to a better job of seeding? I believe they randomized it a bit, by weighing last years records. Seems like a perfectly fine, objective, & fair way to organize it. Any other way would lead to bias.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
How or why exactly do they need to a better job of seeding? I believe they randomized it a bit, by weighing last years records. Seems like a perfectly fine, objective, & fair way to organize it. Any other way would lead to bias.
Yeah, there's really no other way to do this objectively. There's always going to be imbalance since some teams get substantially better in the off-season and others get substantially worse. Having a committee go in and tweak things in an attempt to make them more balanced would most likely just introduce unwanted bias into the process. Aside from the cash bonuses for the winning team and the top two teams playing an additional game (which doesn't count in the standings) the NBA cup has no impact on the regular season or playoff seedings anyway so this system is good enough.

It looks like we got a little lucky here drawing the playoff team who is likely to drop the most (Clippers) and a Portland team which is still very much rebuilding. We played Minnesota well this past season -- hopefully that carries over. We'll also get an early look at how much Reed Sheppard improves Houston's playoff potential. They could be a team to watch next season though the Jalen Green situation looms as a turning point for them. He's entering year four and if he doesn't improve his 3pt shot or defense significantly I think he's in danger of losing his starting spot which probably means he gets traded. Either he takes a big leap or he's the odd man out along with whichever forwards end up in Udoka's doghouse this year.