The Doctor Returns!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, fellow Whovians - what's your first impression of Peter Capaldi?

I like him, more than I thought I would. I've watched the episode twice, and I love how he took some of Matt Smith's mannerisms and incorporated them just a little into his take on the Doctor. I just hope they find a way to bring River Song into the mix at some point. ;)

I liked him. Capaldi threw in some great references. I enjoyed the episode immensely too. I too hope they bring River in. I think the interaction would be great entertainment.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of the recent iterations of Dr. Who, the only one I embraced immediately was David Tennant. It took a few episodes for me to like Eccelston (my wife thought he was hot and loved him from the get go) and quite a few more for me to like Matt Smith. So I don't know how I'll ultimately view Capaldi. So far I like him alright.

Still my favorite is probably still Tom Baker back from the days when Dr. Who was only shown on Ch 31 late at night.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Of the recent iterations of Dr. Who, the only one I embraced immediately was David Tennant. It took a few episodes for me to like Eccelston (my wife thought he was hot and loved him from the get go) and quite a few more for me to like Matt Smith. So I don't know how I'll ultimately view Capaldi. So far I like him alright.

Still my favorite is probably still Tom Baker back from the days when Dr. Who was only shown on Ch 31 late at night.
And before Ch. 31, Doctor Who was shown on Ch. 6. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Just finished watching this week's episode, "Dark Water" and I am going to have to immediately watch it again.

OMG. Steven Moffat has out-done himself. No spoilers from me, but any doubts I had about how this season would measure up are now gone.

wow...

Just finished watching this week's episode, "Dark Water" and I am going to have to immediately watch it again.

OMG. Steven Moffat has out-done himself. No spoilers from me, but any doubts I had about how this season would measure up are now gone.

wow...
Crap! I forgot to DVR it - good thing BBCAmerica runs it several times :oops:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
When she was talking about being abandoned, a little part of me was hoping it was Susan gone bad. The actual reveal was really well handled though.

Feel like they should have done a bit more to limit the usage of Cybermen in the previews though, definitely took away from their reveal in this episode.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
When she was talking about being abandoned, a little part of me was hoping it was Susan gone bad. The actual reveal was really well handled though.

Feel like they should have done a bit more to limit the usage of Cybermen in the previews though, definitely took away from their reveal in this episode.
Having now watched it twice, there are a lot of things I missed the first time. In fact, I'm thinking there are a lot of things I missed all season because I was too focused on the dynamic between Clara and the Doctor. I cannot wait for this season to come out on DVD so I can rewatch them.

I won't post any spoilers, but I will say that Peter Capaldi has made the Doctor his own. This is definitely one of those seasons where you cannot miss an episode. If you do, you risk not seeing some of the signs of where it's going...

I agree about them giving a little too much away in the previews, BTW.

After our regular Whovians have a chance to respond, I want to talk about another BIG reveal that came in last night's show that I'm not sure everyone realized. :)

I loved, loved, loved the episode. I had hoped for a slightly different direction for Missy, but am happy with where it went. I also agree about the previews.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I know a lot of people weren't too happy at the beginning of this season. They didn't like Capaldi, they thought it was getting too dark, etc. Now, after watching the season finale, I am still blown away. That episode had everything you could possibly imagine - including homage to some pretty good plot lines from the past. For the first time in a long time, I really appreciated Clara... I absolutely cannot wait for this year's Christmas special. Tip of the hat to Steven Moffat for doing it once again.

And BTW? Bowties are cool.