[SPOARTS!] Comments that don't warrant their own thread

What a great sports moment and personal comeback at the Masters today! Loved every moment of it. I can’t explain how happy and excited I am to have seen Tiger return to the top of that mountain. Even better was the fact that he won his 1st major when trailing entering the final round. So it was historic in more than one way.
That was pretty damn amazing. Probably the best sports moment IMO since the Cavs coming back from 3-1 against the 73 win Warriors.

I can't say that I share in your level of excitement. I acknowledge the history of it, but I mostly just wanted to post that clip.
I get it. He’s become a very flawed dude. But he’s 5 years younger than me and I kinda sorta watched him grow up when he first started making headlines at Stanford. He’s the reason I really got into watching the sport. Before him I watched, but far more casually.

I have so many memories of Tiger dominating fields that it was good to see the new generation get a small taste of what he used to bring to the table. No domination, of course, but all the other golfers knew where he was. And it’s nice to see the guy turn his life around a bit after all the set backs and self-inflicted wounds.

But for those that are indifferent or just flat out don’t care for him, I get why today didn’t peak interest. That’s exactly how I feel toward Mickelson.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member

USA is tied for fifth in total medals, through the first three days of the 2019 FINA World Championships. In saying that, however, it should be acknowledged that the events that the US are expected to dominate don't start until the second week of the competition. Week One is dominated by judged events, like diving and "artistic" swimming.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Major upset at the 2019 FINA World Championships, as Katie Ledecky lost the 400m freestyle to Ariane Titmus (AUS). Ledecky had the lead going into the final lap, but swam the second-slowest final lap of anyone in the field, and allowed Titmus to catch her down the stretch.

Titmus is now considered the favorite to win the 200m freestyle, as well, although Ledecky is still considered a heavy favorite to win the 800m and the 1500m.

Major upset at the 2019 FINA World Championships, as Katie Ledecky lost the 400m freestyle to Ariane Titmus (AUS). Ledecky had the lead going into the final lap, but swam the second-slowest final lap of anyone in the field, and allowed Titmus to catch her down the stretch.

Titmus is now considered the favorite to win the 200m freestyle, as well, although Ledecky is still considered a heavy favorite to win the 800m and the 1500m.
I agree, great race. It really helps to have someone to chase when you need to dig deep. My favorite is the 2008 men's 4 x 100 free relay in Beijing, when Jason Lezak took off a body length behind the world record holder and ran him down on the last lap.

Ledecky is obviously focusing on Tokyo, so she wouldn't be at peak form yet. I think it's great for swimming that someone beat her. I'm sure she'll be ready next year.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I don't know how great it is for swimming, but NBC has to be loving it: they just went from having to figure out how to promote what they thought would be a runaway event into having free content.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
More drama in Gwangju, as Mack Horton (AUS) refused to take the podium beside Sun Yang (CHN), who defeated him in the 400m freestyle, or to shake his hand following the medal ceremony.

This rivalry goes back a few years, starting in 2014, when Yang was suspended for testing positive for a banned substance. At the Rio Games in 2016, Horton became the first swimmer ever to beat Yang in the 400m, and refused to shake his hand then, as well, reportedly calling him a "drug cheat," to his face. This followed an incident in which Horton accused Sun Yang of attempting to distract him during a practice in Rio, by splashing water on him, an action that Yang and his coach claim was a misunderstanding.

Earlier this year, Yang came under further criticism for allegedly smashing vials of his blood that had been designated for drug testing with a hammer! Although FINA has cleared Sun Yang, the World Anti-Doping Agency has appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. If the Court rules in WADA's favor, Yang could be facing a lifetime ban.

The Associated Press reported that, following Horton's actions at the medal stand earlier today, he was greeted by a standing ovation in the dinig room at the Athlete's Village.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Lilly King (USA) defended her World Championship in the 100m freestyle, defeating her Olympic rival, Yulia Efimova (RUS). King avoided becoming the third defending World Champion to be upset in Gwangju (Sarah Sjostrom [SWE] was upset by Margaret MacNeil {CAN] in the 100m butterfly, as well as the aforementioned Ledecky upset).

King, who has been very outspoken against drug use, was among those who welcomed male swimmer Mack Horton with a standing ovation yesterday, and was one of the few interviewed by the Associated Press for their story.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/07/22/katie-ledecky-swimming/

BREAKING NEWS: Citing illness, Katie Ledecky withdraws from the 200m freestyle and the 1500m freestyle events at the 2019 FINA World Championships, following her upset loss in the 400m freestyle. Her coach has indicated, however, that she may still be available to compete in the 4x200m relay, as well as the 800m... which suggests that her illness may be that she's got acute losing-itis.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/07/22/katie-ledecky-swimming/

BREAKING NEWS: Citing illness, Katie Ledecky withdraws from the 200m freestyle and the 1500m freestyle events at the 2019 FINA World Championships, following her upset loss in the 400m freestyle. Her coach has indicated, however, that she may still be available to compete in the 4x200m relay, as well as the 800m... which suggests that her illness may be that she's got acute losing-itis.
This isn't about ducking anybody. Yes it's the worlds but everyone there is focusing on being ready for Tokyo. Maybe since she ran out of gas at the end of the 400 her coach thought she ought to pass on the 200. After all of Ledecky's championships, one more isn't all that important.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Maybe not. It just strikes me as odd that she has specifically withdrawn from two races with an illness, but still has her coach implying that the aforementioned illness might not be bad enough to keep her out of two other races.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Maybe not. It just strikes me as odd that she has specifically withdrawn from two races with an illness, but still has her coach implying that the aforementioned illness might not be bad enough to keep her out of two other races.
Well, she's not swimming Tuesday, but could swim Thursday/Friday/Saturday. Maybe she has a cold and hopes to recover in a few days.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
FINA World Championships update from Gwangju:

• Kristóf Milák (HUN) wins gold in the men's 200m butterfly, in World Record time, breaking a record that has been held by Michael Phelps since 2009:

• Frederica Peligrini (ITA) wins gold in the women's 200m freestyle, the first of the two races that Katie Ledecky withdrew from. Ariane Titmus (AUS), who went into the event as the favorite, settled for silver.
  • Lilly King (USA) defends her championship in the 100m breaststroke, once again defeating rival Yulia Efimova (RUS).
  • Sun Yang (CHN) wins the 200m freestyle, with yet another athlete, this time co-bronze winner Duncan Scott (GBR) refusing to share the podium with him.
  • Simona Quadrella (ITA) wins the women's 1500m freestyle. Katie Ledecky ended up withdrawing from this race due to illness, as well. Quadrella finished with a national record of 15:40.89, more than a full twenty seconds behind Ledecky's world record time.
  • Adam Peaty (GBR) wins the men's 50m breaststroke. Peaty also won gold in the 100m breastroke, setting a new World Record in the semifinal heat.
  • Australia wins the 4x100m mixed (read: intergender) relay. United States settles for silver, Great Britain takes bronze. I didn't even know that mixed relays were a thing?
  • United States and Spain advance to the Gold Medal match in women's water polo, which will held Friday night, Seoul time. USA defeats Australia 7-2 in the semifinal, while Spain outlasts Hungary, 16-10.

• Kristóf Milák (HUN) wins gold in the men's 200m butterfly, in World Record time, breaking a record that has been held by Michael Phelps since 2009:

• Frederica Peligrini (ITA) wins gold in the women's 200m freestyle, the first of the two races that Katie Ledecky withdrew from. Ariane Titmus (AUS), who went into the event as the favorite, settled for silver.
  • Lilly King (USA) defends her championship in the 100m breaststroke, once again defeating rival Yulia Efimova (RUS).
  • Sun Yang (CHN) wins the 200m freestyle, with yet another athlete, this time co-bronze winner Duncan Scott (GBR) refusing to share the podium with him.
  • Simona Quadrella (ITA) wins the women's 1500m freestyle. Katie Ledecky ended up withdrawing from this race due to illness, as well. Quadrella finished with a national record of 15:40.89, more than a full twenty seconds behind Ledecky's world record time.
  • Adam Peaty (GBR) wins the men's 50m breaststroke. Peaty also won gold in the 100m breastroke, setting a new World Record in the semifinal heat.
  • Australia wins the 4x100m mixed (read: intergender) relay. United States settles for silver, Great Britain takes bronze. I didn't even know that mixed relays were a thing?
  • United States and Spain advance to the Gold Medal match in women's water polo, which will held Friday night, Seoul time. USA defeats Australia 7-2 in the semifinal, while Spain outlasts Hungary, 16-10.
Mixed relays are only at the Worlds, not the Olympics. They only started doing that in recent years.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member

• Lilly King (USA) finished with the fastest time in her preliminary heat in the 200m breaststroke, but was disqualified for apparently failing to touch with both hands on a turn. She appealed the decision, but the ruling was upheld, so she will not be able to compete in the Final of the event.
  • Caeleb Dressel (USA) wins the men's 100m freestyle. Nándor Németh (HUN) finished in sixth, but set a Hungarian National Record.
  • Olivia Smoglia (USA) wins the women's 50m backstroke.
  • Boglárka Kapás (HUN) wins the women's 200m butterfly. Hali Flickinger (USA) and Katie Drabot (USA) win silver and bronze, respectively.
  • Daiya Seto (JPN) wins the men's 200m individual medley. Chase Kalisz (USA) takes bronze.
  • Australia wins the women's 4x200m freestyle relay, breaking a world record that had been held by China since 2009. United States, led by Olympic champions Simone Manuel and Katie Ledecky, settled for silver, but set an American record in the process. Canada takes bronze, also setting a National Record. And a fourth team (RUS) set a National Record as well, despite finishing fifth.
  • Spain and Italy advance to the Gold Medal match in men's water polo. Italy upset historical powerhouse Hungary 12-10, and Spain knocked off defending World Champions Croatia 6-5. Japan defeats South Africa 15-5 in the 11th place game, and United States beat Montenegro 15-14 in the 9th place game.

Interesting! Are these events freestyle, or medley relays?
The one the other day was a medley relay. At the Worlds, they're always trying out new things. The 50 meter races in each stroke proved so popular they were added to the Olympics. The mixed medley relay will never be more than a gimmick, I'm sure.

Now a mixed freestyle relay, with a drawing 10 minutes before the race to determine the swimming order (FMFM, MMFF, whatever) - that, I think, has potential, but that hasn't been tried yet.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member

• Simone Manuel (USA) wins the women's 100m freestyle, setting a new American National record, in the process.
  • Evgeny Rylov (RUS) wins the men's 200m backstroke. Ryan Murphy (USA) settles for silver.
  • Katie Ledecky (USA) qualifies for the finals of the women's 800m freestyle, but finished second, behind fellow American Leah Smith.
  • Regan Smith (USA) set a new world's record in the semifinals of the women's 200m backstroke, breaking the record set by Missy Franklin (USA) in 2012:
  • Anton Chupkov (RUS) wins the men's 200m breaststroke, and set a new World Record in the process: That was the second time in the 2019 FINA World Championships that the World Record in this event had been broken. It was previously broken in the second semifinal heat, by Matthew Wilson (AUS), who took silver. The previous World Record holder, Ippei Watanabe (JPN), ended up with bronze.
  • Yulia Efimova (RUS) wins the women's 200m breaststroke. This is the event in which Lilly King (USA) was disqualified in the preliminaries.
  • Caeleb Dressel (USA) sets a new World Record in the semifinal of the men's 100m butterfly, breaking the record set by Michael Phelps (USA) in 2009. Andrey Minakov (RUS) sets a Russian National Record:
  • Australia wins the men's 4x 200m freestyle relay, setting a new Oceanic record. Russia takes silver, United States settles for bronze.

Last edited:

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member

• Caeleb Dressell (USA) wins the 50m men's freestyle, setting a new American National Record, and a FINA Competition Record, in the process.
  • Katie Ledecky (USA) ends her 2019 FINA World Championships on a positive note, winning the women's 800m freestyle. She finished more than a second ahead of second-place Simona Quadarella (ITA), but still nearly ten seconds behind her personal best. Ariane Titmus (AUS), who bested Ledecky in the 200m freestyle, takes the bronze, setting a new Oceanic Record. Leah Smith (USA), who beat Ledecky head-to-head in their preliminary heat, finished off the podium, in fifth.
  • Regan Smith (USA) backed up her World Record breaking semifinal run by winning the women's 200m backstroke. Smith finished the race in 2:03.69, which would have been good enough to break the World Record, had she not already broken it yesterday.
  • Sarah Sjöström (SWE) wins the women's 50m butterfly. Kelsi Dahlia (USA) tied her own American Record, but finished off the podium, in fourth.
  • Caeleb Dressell wins his second gold of the day, this time in the men's 100m butterfly.
  • Dressell won his third gold of the day, leading the United States to a win in the 4x100m Mixed freestyle relay, anchored by Simone Manuel, setting a World Record in the process. Australia gets silver, setting a new Oceanic Record. France takes the bronze.:
  • Italy defeats Spain 10-5 to win gold in men's Water Polo, their fourth championship overall. Croatia beats Hungary 10-7 for bronze.
  • I appear to have neglected to mention this yesterday, but the United States defeated Spain 11-6 to win gold in Women's Water Polo, their sixth championship overall. Australia beat Hungary 10-9, to take bronze.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
FINA World Championships final update from Gwangju:

• Simone Manuel (USA) wins the women's 50m freestyle, defeating defending World Champion and rival Sarah Sjöström (SWE).
  • Florian Wellbrock (GER) wins the men's 1500m freestyle.
  • Zane Waddell (RSA) wins the men's 50m backstroke.
  • Lilly King (USA) wins the women's 50m breaststroke, completing her first career sweep over her rival, Yulia Efimova (RUS), who settles for bronze.
  • Daiya Seto (JPN) wins the men's 400m individual medley, Jay Litherland (USA) settles for silver. Joan Lluis Pons (SPN) finishes fourth, but sets a Spanish National Record.
  • Katinka Hosszú (HUN) wins the women's 400m individual medley.
  • Great Britain upsets the United States to win the men's 4x100m medley relay, setting a new European record in the process. Russia takes bronze, setting a new National Record.
  • The United States wins the women's 4x100 medley relay, setting a World Record in the process:
    Regan Smith, who already set a World Record during the 200m backstroke, set another individual World Record, for her leg of the 100m backstroke, in this event. Simone Manuel becomes the first woman ever to win seven medals at the FINA World Championships (Gold x4, Silver x3).

China, between their dominance in the diving, and the performance of (alleged) drug cheat Sun Yang, barely held off the United States for the official medal count, which is determined solely by gold medals, because of reasons. The US, as I predicted, dominated the swimming: despite having no gold medals through the first nine days (out of seventeen) of the competition, they finished with the second-most, winning fourteen out of their fifteen gold medals in the racing events (Gold Medal #15 came via women's water polo).

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Since we've awarded some medals in the Pan American Games, let me go ahead and update those:

• In a somewhat conspicuous deviation from the Olympic Games, the Marathon at the Pan Am Games appears to be the first event held, instead of one of the last. The men's marathon was won by Christhian Pacheco (PER), setting a Pan American Games Record, in the process. José Luis Santana (MEX) finished second, with a new personal best. Four other runners, Augustus Maiyo (USA), Derlis Ayala (PAR), Ronai Cuestas (URU) and Williams Julajuj (GUT), who finished fourth, fifth, sixth and ninth, respectively, also set personal bests.
  • Gladys Tejeda (PER) won the women's marathon, setting a new Pan American Games Record, in the process. Bethany Sachtleben (USA), Angie Orjuela (COL), Rosa Chacha (ECU), Samantha Roecker (USA), Andrea Bonilla (ECU) and Verónica Angel (CHI), who finished second, third, fourth, fifth, eighth and tenth, respectively, all set personal bests.
  • Cristian Azcona and Jean Pérez (PUR) won the men's doubles bowling. Jakob Butturff and Nicholas Pate (USA) took silver.
  • Stefanie Johnson and Shannon O'Keefe (USA) won the women's doubles bowling.
  • Cuba won the men's 1000m sprint canoe (C-2). United States did not qualify in this event.
  • Argentina won the men's 500m sprint canoe (K-4).
  • Canada won the women's 500m sprint canoe (K-4).
  • United States won the team all-around, in women's artistic gymnastics.
  • Mariana Arceo (MEX) wins the women's individual modern pentathlon. Samantha Achterberg (USA) takes silver.
  • Juan Sánchez (ARG) wins men's free artistic roller skating (which Doctor Internet tells me is figure skating, but on roller skates). John Burchfield (USA) takes silver.
  • Bruna Wurts (BRA) wins women's free artistic roller skating.
  • Laina Pérez (CUB) wins women's 10m air pistol.
  • Diego Elías (PER) wins men's singles squash, 3-1, over Miguel Rodriguez (COL).
  • Amanda Sohby (USA) wins women's singles squash, 3-1, over Olivia Blatchford (USA).
  • Lucas Guzmán (ARG) wins at 58kg (under 128lb) in men's Taekwondo. David Kim (USA) takes bronze.
  • Daniela Souza (MEX) wins at 49kg (under 108lb) in women's Taekwondo. Monique Rodriguez (USA) takes bronze.
  • Alex Lee (USA) wins the men's poomsae Taekwondo (which Doctor Internet indicates is, basically, artistic Taekwondo).
  • Paula Fregroso (MEX) wins the women's poomsae Taekwondo. Karyn Real (USA) takes bronze.
  • Crisanto Grajales (MEX) wins the men's triathlon.
  • Luisa Baptista (BRA) wins the women's triathlon.
  • Francisco Mosquera (COL) wins the 61kg (under 135lb) men's weightlifting. United States did not qualify.
  • Jonathan Muñoz (MEX) wins the 67kg (under 148lb) men's weightlifting.
  • Beatriz Piron (DOM) wins the 49kg (under 108lb) women's weightlifting.