Sentimental memories (split from game thread)

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I have not listened to a Kings game on the radio in well over 10 years. League Pass is how I'd follow living in the Bay Area although I would listen to 1140 as the signal always came thru clear.

But I don't live in the Bay Area anymore. And today I got in my car to head to the super market, not knowing there was a Kings game. I had left SXM on the NBA station and what do you know, I turn on the ignition and it's Gary Gerould play by play. 3rd quarter, close game.

My mind immediately went back in time to being a young fan in the 90's, listening to Gerould on my radio for every game not shown on CH 31 in the Bay. That's how I became a fan. My radio and the occasional Ch 31 game. Richmond. Edney. Michael Smith. Polynice. Brian Grant. Back in the days of positive Dave on the postgame. Staying up late listening on school nights. And here I am 3K miles away, pulling into a supermarket parking lot and listening to Gerould play be play for the first time in over a decade.

I sat there in the parking lot and listened until the end. How unexpected it was is why it was so surreal. Reminded me of my early days of being a fan, surrounded by god damned Warriors fans. I was riding Gerould's every call as I once did in the 90's, sitting in a cold parking lot in NY while my wife wonders where the F I am. While I don't have the time to be as committed as I once was given work and spending time overseas, never mind raising a family I was reminded today of a connection to a team I'll never have with another. I don't live and die with this team anymore. Too busy with life. But I'll never be able to reproduce the connection I made with the team as a young guy growing up.

I have not listened to a Kings game on the radio in well over 10 years. League Pass is how I'd follow living in the Bay Area although I would listen to 1140 as the signal always came thru clear.

But I don't live in the Bay Area anymore. And today I got in my car to head to the super market, not knowing there was a Kings game. I had left SXM on the NBA station and what do you know, I turn on the ignition and it's Gary Gerould play by play. 3rd quarter, close game.

My mind immediately went back in time to being a young fan in the 90's, listening to Gerould on my radio for every game not shown on CH 31 in the Bay. That's how I became a fan. My radio and the occasional Ch 31 game. Richmond. Edney. Michael Smith. Polynice. Brian Grant. Back in the days of positive Dave on the postgame. Staying up late listening on school nights. And here I am 3K miles away, pulling into a supermarket parking lot and listening to Gerould play be play for the first time in over a decade.

I sat there in the parking lot and listened until the end. How unexpected it was is why it was so surreal. Reminded me of my early days of being a fan, surrounded by god damned Warriors fans. I was riding Gerould's every call as I once did in the 90's, sitting in a cold parking lot in NY while my wife wonders where the F I am. While I don't have the time to be as committed as I once was given work and spending time overseas, never mind raising a family I was reminded today of a connection to a team I'll never have with another. I don't live and die with this team anymore. Too busy with life. But I'll never be able to reproduce the connection I made with the team as a young guy growing up.
Had some similar sentiments today. Took my little one to his first game this afternoon, and while he likely will be too young to remember today's experience, I'm hoping it will be the first of many. My memories are so vivid: the anticipation, the closing car doors and hum of the car engine as my dad and I drove out to the Del Paso Road exit (before there was an Arena Blvd) listening to G-Man's pregame report, the taste of my usual arena dog and sprite combo, the roar of the crowd (I took special joy when the colored loudness meter got high enough on the side of the scoreboard that the "crown" popped up), and the sight of the players zooming by. There was a time several years ago when I didn't think I'd be able to share the same experience when I had kids because the team would be gone. As easy as it is to get riled up with the day-to-day frustrations of boneheaded passes or even coaching changes and draft mistakes, I like to take a step back now and then and reflect on how close we were to not having these things to care about, and how fortunate I am to be able to pass it on to the next generation now. Go Kings.

Had some similar sentiments today. Took my little one to his first game this afternoon, and while he likely will be too young to remember today's experience, I'm hoping it will be the first of many. My memories are so vivid: the anticipation, the closing car doors and hum of the car engine as my dad and I drove out to the Del Paso Road exit (before there was an Arena Blvd) listening to G-Man's pregame report, the taste of my usual arena dog and sprite combo, the roar of the crowd (I took special joy when the colored loudness meter got high enough on the side of the scoreboard that the "crown" popped up), and the sight of the players zooming by. There was a time several years ago when I didn't think I'd be able to share the same experience when I had kids because the team would be gone. As easy as it is to get riled up with the day-to-day frustrations of boneheaded passes or even coaching changes and draft mistakes, I like to take a step back now and then and reflect on how close we were to not having these things to care about, and how fortunate I am to be able to pass it on to the next generation now. Go Kings.
lol I always thought the arco Thunder was supposed to be fire, but the crown makes more sense. Whatever it was, I thought it was hilarious that it was essentially cut up foil that would flail about haha.