SacBee article on Divac

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
A few snippets:

About the DMC trade:
HE HAD A BETTER DEAL TWO DAYS AGO? Online memes mocked Divac at blinding speed, along with a raft of the most unflattering photos of Divac that every outlet could find.

Where are the apologies? The recognition of failed hot takes? Don’t hold your breath. Divac isn’t.

“Time is going to defend me,” Divac said last week before leaving with the team on its longest road trip of the season. ”I’m a very confident person. I know what I meant. They took me out of context because of my language barrier.

Other bits:
Here is the secret to Divac’s success and the Kings’ success under him. He doesn’t hold grudges. He doesn’t wallow in negativity. He doesn’t care what people think about him. Who you are doesn’t dictate how he relates to you.

Remember that story when juxtaposed against the same Divac who told his rich-guy bosses to back off. Remember it when juxtaposed against my question to Divac about why he passed up star NBA rookie Luka Doncic for Marvin Bagley. Doncic is starring for the Dallas Mavericks and being feted by the same media corps that crushed Divac nearly two years ago.

What does he say to fans who wish Doncic was in a Kings uniform? “I say they should go root for Dallas,” he said.

Doncic needs to have the ball in his hands to excel. Bagley fits within a team structure Divac is trying to nurture.

“I love basketball the right way,” Divac said. “Where everybody is sharing the ball. When you do that, your team has fun. And when your team has fun, your fans have fun.

The Kings went from a one-dimensional loser weighted down by a turbulent asset to the surprise of the NBA with a fresh new culture. The transition was orchestrated by a man branded as dumb and clueless. It was executed with deft moves that cleared veteran players going nowhere for young ones on the rise.

Sorry- the article is good, but I’m a little salty about the needless jab that Boogie “donned a Santa hat at Christmas to hand out toys.” The context of the paragraph is that Boogie was a malcontent who “occasionally smiled” and did a good deed once a year.

I am thrilled with the trade, thrilled with Vlade, and thrilled with the direction of the team. I absolutely would not want Boogie back. But give the guy credit- he was an amazing force OFF the court, and to minimize what he did by suggesting he handed out toys once a year is complete BS. I cannot stand the Sac media with their petty agendas. Hey Marcos (and Grant), Boogie left two years ago. Find a new guy to beef about. The article could’ve been written without a cheap shot.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Sorry- the article is good, but I’m a little salty about the needless jab that Boogie “donned a Santa hat at Christmas to hand out toys.” The context of the paragraph is that Boogie was a malcontent who “occasionally smiled” and did a good deed once a year.

I am thrilled with the trade, thrilled with Vlade, and thrilled with the direction of the team. I absolutely would not want Boogie back. But give the guy credit- he was an amazing force OFF the court, and to minimize what he did by suggesting he handed out toys once a year is complete BS. I cannot stand the Sac media with their petty agendas. Hey Marcos (and Grant), Boogie left two years ago. Find a new guy to beef about. The article could’ve been written without a cheap shot.
Good point - I also thought that was the weak point in the article. Boogie was amazing off the court.

I didn't actually read it that way though I can see where you're coming from. I read it more positively, in that it was something he did regularly (as opposed to negatively saying he just did it once a year).

Author could have written we won the trade because Boogie got injured.
I'm not saying I'm not happy with the trade, but it could have been a win-win scenario.
Even the trade with Philly came out not that bad, but that was a terrible trade back in the day we made we deal.
To be fair he made several awesome deals without getting any recognition, such as the Bogdan deal with the Suns.

This article really sums up why I have loved Divac, as a player and in his current position. It is so rare for someone in power to see past the common characature the author describes, take a risk, and elevate someone like Vlade to a high profile position of responsibility like this. I hesitate to say this, because I wouldnt want him to be lured back into the spotlight of active decision-making, but Vivek deserves great credit.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Vlade's gonna look even better once Fox and Bagley (also Giles) REALLY start getting comfortable in the league in a season or two.

I still pine for Luka from time to time, but I like Vlade's reasoning on the Bagley pick. ISO superstars are fun to watch, but if his vision is a return to the Golden Era, I can dig it. We've seen flashes of it when the spacing is good on offense, once Fox and the young bigs get better at shooting (and they will) this Kings team is going to pick the league apart.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Marcos Breton is a jerk. If he's praising Vlade, it's because he's trying to get something. One of the many reasons I gave up my Sacramento Bee subscription was Marcos Breton.

Boogie was great on the court and underrated off the court.

Vlades doing a solid job. The focus needs to be on utilizing that cap space now to bring in assets before it's value lessens in the summer.

The below from sactownroyalty:

17 teams are projected to enter the offseason with cash to spend, 12 of whom will enjoy the ability to sling $20 million or more at free agents. Piled together, that equals nearly $600 million in total space, a number that renders the $11 million virtually useless in comparison to the current cash barren climate. The Kings have prided themselves on tripping their way into their extra capacity; now they must find a use for their unique resource

That’s one reason I think we make something happen before the trade deadline besides helping our playoff chances.
If we use it we have enough expiring contracts to be at this point again next year.

We don't need to jump before we are pushed but we need to make a move. Vlade needs to be working the phones and needs to have his ear to the ground and involve us as a third team if needed.