Passing Thoughts vs. Jazz

Some passing thoughts on last nights game;

1. Crowd seemed loud and very into it. Definite positive energy.

2. Found myself pulling for Bagley when he made his entrance. When he had his put back dunk I was thrilled. Then saw he cleared out Conley and got called for the foul. Same old Bagley. Clear out a guy almost a foot shorter than him?...cmon.

3. I like Terrance Davis, but lets be honest. He was awful last night. Couldn't hit a shot and couldn't guard anyone. A very streaky shooter. He will have games where he brings a smile to our faces. Yesterday was not one of them.

4. Fox was pretty bad. He had 5 steals so he was active in that area, but otherwise he was quite bad. I love Fox and always pull hard for him. Seems like he works hard on improving his game. However, he still struggles from 3's and splits free throws. Very frustrating.

5. Alex Len. Fought hard all night. The results weren't always there, but the effort was.

6. Buddy. He seems to have embraced the sixth man role...maybe too much. Yes, I want him to take shots...lots of them. However, just because he is a sixth man and bench scorer it doesn't mean he has to take every shot. Some of his shot selection was quite questionable.

7. Haliburton and Barnes played very well...no complaints there.

8. Mitchell. Love the kid. However, he expends so much energy on defense that he seems to just "hang around" on offense. I feel there is much more to his offensive game and I want him to display the same defensive intensity when he is on offense.

9. Utah's defense was too good. Kings defense was pretty good and the effort was there, however they still gave up too many open 3's.

10. Something feels different about this team and I mean that in a good way. I think they will be all right.

Some passing thoughts on last nights game;

1. Crowd seemed loud and very into it. Definite positive energy.

2. Found myself pulling for Bagley when he made his entrance. When he had his put back dunk I was thrilled. Then saw he cleared out Conley and got called for the foul. Same old Bagley. Clear out a guy almost a foot shorter than him?...cmon.

3. I like Terrance Davis, but lets be honest. He was awful last night. Couldn't hit a shot and couldn't guard anyone. A very streaky shooter. He will have games where he brings a smile to our faces. Yesterday was not one of them.

4. Fox was pretty bad. He had 5 steals so he was active in that area, but otherwise he was quite bad. I love Fox and always pull hard for him. Seems like he works hard on improving his game. However, he still struggles from 3's and splits free throws. Very frustrating.

5. Alex Len. Fought hard all night. The results weren't always there, but the effort was.

6. Buddy. He seems to have embraced the sixth man role...maybe too much. Yes, I want him to take shots...lots of them. However, just because he is a sixth man and bench scorer it doesn't mean he has to take every shot. Some of his shot selection was quite questionable.

7. Haliburton and Barnes played very well...no complaints there.

8. Mitchell. Love the kid. However, he expends so much energy on defense that he seems to just "hang around" on offense. I feel there is much more to his offensive game and I want him to display the same defensive intensity when he is on offense.

9. Utah's defense was too good. Kings defense was pretty good and the effort was there, however they still gave up too many open 3's.

10. Something feels different about this team and I mean that in a good way. I think they will be all right.
Good thoughts. Few comments.

Davis: like Bags, he underlines the point that even the combination of physical gifts and playing hard isn't nearly enough if you don't know what you're doing. The fact that both are inclined to chuck doesn't help. And that inclination probably gets worse the more limited their playing time.

Fox: bad offensively, but working hard on defense. He tried to take it to Conley early, got decent shots, and just missed. My only real ongoing problem with him is his too-frequent hero-ball tendencies, which showed up last night. OTOH, again, great to see him ramp up his D.

Len: I love this guy and think he'll get bigger numbers for us than he did last night. AND the truth is that Gobert and Hassan crushed us, combining for 25 pts and 29 (!) boards. Len was acquired presumably as a counter against traditional centers like that, but was -12 w/4 boards in 22+ minutes. He battled, but he needs to be more effective.

Buddy: Yeah, 21 shots in 26 minutes is a bit much. It looked like the Kings ran hardly any offensive sets last night. A lot of 0 and 1-pass possessions; looked like a pickup game much of the night. Buddy's jacking fed that helter-skelter energy even when the looks themselves were okay.

Haliburton: probably a minority take, but I wasn't happy with Tyrese's play last night. Yeah, it was good to see him aggressive w/his shot and hitting most of them. But this team desperately needed more ball movement and playmaking last night, someone to settle things down offensively, work the way to some open looks. Ty is best-suited to that role, but he did as much shot-hunting as anybody else much of the night. Maybe no coincidence that he had the worst +/- on the team (-17 in 35 min).

Utah's D: Yup, they play good D. But some of the team's offensive wounds were self-inflicted. I do love that the Kings played them even on the boards - HUGE shoutout to HB's career-high 15! But the Kings' 39.4% shooting and 20 assists on 39 field goals wasn't just about the D. 15-21 from the line? Gotta do better.

Adding one: Luke. Yeah, HB has been a total stud after two games. But the minutes, tho. 37 min in Game 1; 37.5 min last night. I mean, I get it: thin on wings, Harkless out, HB playing very well. But playing him the entire 4th in a game of that intensity? Playing him as the sole "big" for stretches under those conditions? The name "Chimezie Metu" ring a bell?

Something feels different - in a good way: agreed - AND it'll be important to see their hard work translate into some wins early. I was actually pretty happy with the D. It wasn't great in the second half. They gave up 64, including some open looks. But it was better than the second half against Portland.

This is a work-in-progress, and seems to me that after two games the trend lines are good.

Utah is a bad matchup for us. We actually did pretty good, had them on their heels for 3 quarters, and even frustrated last years #1 team in our conference that’s been playing together under the same coach for 5+ years

Great thoughts. I think a lot of us are getting that same feeling that something is different here. This has the feel of that 1997 team with J-Will, young Doug, and Lawrence Funderburke that made the cover of Sports Illustrated ages ago.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
only thoughts I want to put out there is you are lacking in the wing department and Luke will run Barnes into the ground with his high minutes when you have Doo Rag King on the bench who can play 10 minutes or so and see what he can do in real time action