NCAAF Week 5

I know there is already a College Football thread, but I think its easier to seperate it out into each week anyways...plus, I wanted to share another installment of something I wrote last week:

Can You Do The Can-Can?

A five step program to the games of the weekend in...
College football (Week 5)

1. The Game. Plainly and surely, this rivalry, with yearly matchups named just "The Game", in Michigan is absolutely going to be an exciting game. Students screaming, mascots fighting, bands playing. Michigan has played two ranked teams this year and lost, albeit by a total of 10 points. Notre Dame and Wisconsin both slipped by the young Wolverines team, and Michigan's schedule doesn't let up, at least quite yet, with two games against ranked teams in the next two weeks. Michigan State, inversely, beat Notre Dame in a thriller, and is looking to defeat another perenial competitor. Can Michigan State QB Drew Stanton keep up the pace he has set in the first 4 games, passing for 13 TDs through a 73.1% completion rate and only 2 INTs, and push past rival Michigan? Can Michigan RB Michael Hart prove last year wasn't just a fluke (1455 yards, 9 TDs) and push this Michigan team back into prominence?

2. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? Many studies have been done, none deffinetively. How many years does it take for a new NCAA D-1 team take to get good enough to decimate a top 25 team? This question, luckily, seems easier to answer, especially because it happened last week. After 8 years as a D-1 team, South Florida obliterated a stacked Louisville team whom no one expected to lose this week. Wait, that's wrong. USF's coach, always the optimist, saw a victory going into that game. Is he crazy enough to see the same going into a game against the ninth ranked team, nationally hyped Miami (FL)? Miami could very easily be undefeated and highly ranked, losing only to rival Florida State 7-10. Luckily for them, they are 2-1 and have held onto a ranking of 9th, not too shabby for any regular team. That said, Florida is hungry for a win, especially against an opponent who has, for the last week, talked about possibly upsetting Florida. Can Miami hold off a surge from the south, as it were, and defeat a team made up of the Big Three (Miami, Florida, Florida State) rejects? Or can the Bulls play hard-nose defense and make big plays offensively and on special teams to make it a two game upset streak?

3. And so, another clash of top-15 teams comes this week. #5 Florida travels to #15 Alabama to face a Crimson Tide who has won 4 not-so-blow-outs. Alabama has to its credit a 14-6 TD to TDs allowed ratio, which seems respectable but is not amazing, considering who they have played. Also, Alabama's rush defense is formidable, but its pass defense can not be acknowledged the same respect. Florida hopes to take advantage of that, with QB Chris Leak looking to continue his dominance of opponents (11 TDs, 71.1% completion, 0 INTs). WR Chad Johnson sure hopes Leak can do so, because he has benefited greatly, catching for 400 years and 6 scores in the 4 games this year. Can Chris Leak toy with Alabama's defense while his own D hopes to continue its own dominance, with 7 INTs this year, allowing Florida to continue down its road to an unblemished season (although they have LSU, Georgia, Vanderbilt, and Florida state remaining on the schedule)? Can Alabama overachieve and beat a hugely talented Urban Meyer coached Florida team?

4. There isn't only one double-ranked matchup this weekend. Purdue hosts Notre Dame by trying to bounce back from a loss to #18 Minnesota. Both with one loss, these teams need this game to stay in the race for a big bowl game at the end of the season, especially with two more ranked teams in their future. Notre Dame needs this especially dearly because it plays the queso grande, #1 USC, as well as #10 Tennesee. Charlie Weis led Notre Dame goes in sporting (no pun intended) overachieving QB Brady Quinn and RB Darius Walker, but feels confident he can beat the underachieving Purdue offense in a shootout, and outplay the Purdue defense in a slugfest. Purdue is baffled by its late lost to Minnesota and hopes to beat THIS ranked team. Can the Boilermakers shake the loss and prevent itself from dropping two in a row to become 2-2? Can the Irish warm up for USC with a win over ranked Purdue?

5. Everyone assumes a win from the hugely favorited. Does no one think people betted for Goliath to beat David? Given, Arizona State isn't David compared to this Goliath-ly skilled USC team, but the task they are facing is daunting. QB Sam Keller has slaughtered opponents this year through the year, going for 1443 yards and 16 TDs with just 2 INTs, and he prays USC will show some kind of secondary weakness this week. After outscoring opponents 178-47 this season, USC has showed it can beat the lesser teams. This week is its first chance to play a fairly respectable team, and it won't be their last. They also play at #13 Notre Dame, at #12 Cal, and versus #20 UCLA. If USC is down at the half this week, it most likely will be more like 35-28 instead of 13-10. Can Arizona State beat the seemingly unbeatable, arguably best-ever CFB team? Can USC stem Keller's passing game and show the nation the first half off last week was just a fluke?

...only time will tell.

Whoooo Alabama killing the gators, I love it!!:D Still long way to go but I like this! Roll Tide!! It makes my day when Florida loses.
USC losing 3-21!!!:eek: Wow! It's only second quarter but that would be the upset of the year if ASU could pull this off. Isn't it supposed to be on ABC? Why are they showing FSU?
Come on SunDevils, I love upsets especially this big! makes things more interesting.:)

USC coming back, 17-21, not a big surprise but Florida still down 3-31. Scary moment in this game when one of the bama players went down and it looked like he was seriously hurt but he was waving when they took him off to the hospital so looks like he'll be OK,hopefully anyway.

Hey FSU's offense is looking better and better as the weeks go by.
Putting 38 points up on a staunchy 'Cuse defense. Weatherford and Lee combined for 398 passing yards against the 5th best pass defense in the NCAA.

Of course, FSU will still be considered the worst team in the top ten.

hoopsfan said:
Sorry to disappoint you, loopy. The comeback was complete for a 10 point win.:D

yea I see that, oh well so much for the big upset but they were definitely pushed to their limits today, nice to see they are human after all.
Gators still lost so I'm happy:D. My dawgs should move up 2 spots this week to #4 or 5 depending which poll you look at.
hoopsy- don't make me tell you again BEHAVE!!;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
As most of you know, I'm a Miami Hurricane fan. I have also cheered for Old Notre Dame as far back as I can remember...

I'm not going to claim victory yet, but things are looking pretty good around the ol' VF21 homestead right now.

Go CANES!!!

Go IRISH!!!

Some good games this week, I think I picked out some of the better ones, even if they were more obvious, less diamond-in-the-rough choices.

USC had another scare. I won't be suprised if that happens again @ Cal, @ ND, and/or vs UCLA. Speaking of those three, Cal didn't blow out but shut out Arizona and played a very good game, ND beat a ranked opponent handily, and UCLA is down going into the second half...vs WASHINGTON...heh

Go Golden Bears!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'll go on record right now. USC is NOT going to beat Notre Dame. They've got a QB named Brady Quinn, for God's sake. I don't think he could be any more Irish if he was dressed in green, wearing pointy shoes and guarding his pot of gold.

Come all without, come all within
You’ll not see nothing like the mighty Quinn..."

(Yeah, I know the Quinn in the song is an Eskimo, but the two lines sure fit.)

:D

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
hoopsfan said:
^^ And USC's got a Heisman winning QB named Matt Leinart.:D

An Irish fan, eh? And to think I was gettin' to like you VF. ;)
Hey, watch it. I also am a fan o' the Irish! Your USC is going down to them. :p

Whats with SC fans and insulting others?

I don't know about the Irish beating USC, cause I think Cal has a better chance. The only team Leinart has lost to is Cal, and we have given SC trouble all of the last three years, winning two years ago. Our team isnt quite as strong this year as last, but its at home and we will have had good exp with our younger guys by then. Plus, our defense is amazing, has allowed only 4 TDs in 5 games.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
hoopsfan said:
^^ And USC's got a Heisman winning QB named Matt Leinart.:D

An Irish fan, eh? And to think I was gettin' to like you VF. ;)
Let's see...

Heisman trophy on one side.

Luck of the Irish through and through on the other.

I'm still siding with the green and gold!

Faith and begorra!

;)

VF21 said:
Let's see...

Heisman trophy on one side.

Luck of the Irish through and through on the other.

I'm still siding with the green and gold!

Faith and begorra!

;)
Hmmm..let's see:

Heisman trophy, back to back National Champions, 26 game win streak on one side..

Little green men on the other..;)

FIGHT ON!

Last edited:
BobbyJ_for3! said:
Whats with SC fans and insulting others?
I'm not insulting anyone..USC and ND have a long standing rivalry..we're just having fun. I believe VF and 6th know that I'm not trying to insult them. (At least I hope so.) :)

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
hoopsfan said:
I'm not insulting anyone..USC and ND have a long standing rivalry..we're just having fun. I believe VF and 6th know that I'm not trying to insult them. (At least I hope so.) :)
Nah!! No insults from hoopsfan. Besides, she can't help her USC ties. Poor thing. :p ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
No offense taken here, hoopsie.

;)

I'll admit USC isn't gonna be easy; but the Irish like it tough!!!

I'm just glad to see ND back in the groove, so to speak. Those losing years were tough to take - I could practically feel my dad spinning in his grave all the way up here.

:D

Well, wait until both the Irish and Trojans play my terrible Stanford Cardinal. USC might very well put up 70+ points. Oregon threw for 399 yards in a little under 3 quarters today against the Card before going to the deep reserves. Notre Dame might be able to do one better than the 57-7 spanking they gave us two years ago. Stanford is truly a disgraceful program right now. We follow up a loss to DAVIS, by getting bullied all over the field by Oregon.

Stanford has maybe 7 or 8 starters amongst their 22 who look like D-I caliber starters right now. No speed, no strength, and NOOOOOOO athleticism. Stanford has had some bad defenses in the past, but in my years of following them, they have NEVER had a secondary this bad. Oregon at one point was 8/9 on 3rd down conversion of more than 7 yards. One play featured THREE wide open receivers- YIKES. If the Ducks had not been penalized for 170 yards and pulled the starters with 18 minutes to go, they would have scored 60 easily.

And that does not even begin to mention an O-line that allowed our QB to be sacked, hurried, and knocked down a total of 26 times...

USC, ASU, Notre Dame, and Cal are going to DESTROY Stanford. Things could get VERY VERY ugly in Palo Alto.

Sorry VF and 6th but ND going down to USC! (God I agree with hoopsy, what is that world coming to;)) neither one in the best conference though!:D

BobbyJ_for3! said:
Can Chris Leak toy with Alabama's defense while his own D hopes to continue its own dominance, with 7 INTs this year, allowing Florida to continue down its road to an unblemished season (although they have LSU, Georgia, Vanderbilt, and Florida state remaining on the schedule)? Can Alabama overachieve and beat a hugely talented Urban Meyer coached Florida team?
No. Yes.

loopymitch said:
USC coming back, 17-21, not a big surprise but Florida still down 3-31. Scary moment in this game when one of the bama players went down and it looked like he was seriously hurt but he was waving when they took him off to the hospital so looks like he'll be OK,hopefully anyway.
Prothro. Broke his leg in 2 places. Likely out for the season. Hate it for him - he was having a huge game/season. If there is a bright side, that is the only position where we have depth.
I haven't seen that stadium (or Tuscaloosa for that matter) like that in a long, long time. Gotta keep it up! "HEY VOLS!!!!"

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Abe Frohman said:
Prothro. Broke his leg in 2 places. Likely out for the season. Hate it for him - he was having a huge game/season.
And, of course, there were the sports "talking heads" who had to start immediately with the "Why was he still in?" debate. :rolleyes:

I wish him a quick and total recovery. If Willis McGahee can come back, I think anyone can...

VF21 said:
And, of course, there were the sports "talking heads" who had to start immediately with the "Why was he still in?" debate. :rolleyes:

I wish him a quick and total recovery. If Willis McGahee can come back, I think anyone can...
Yeah, I noticed Lou Holtz shut that down real quick. He said that's football. The players and coaches said they wanted one more touchdown because FL can score quickly, so they went to the hot hand. I have no problems with it.
The press jumped on it because it was easy to fill pages and compare that to the decision to leave the QB in a blowout game last year which resulted in his season-ending knee injury but there is no comparison. We were up 50-something points in that game and it was Western Kentucky State Christian Community College for Blind Women or something like that.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The "Why was he in" stuff always amazes me.

If they had put Prothro on the bench, and Florida had come back, it would have been all about "Why did they pull Prothro so early?"

If you have a good player, you play him. That's my philosophy. You can't decide personnel matters with the possiblility of injury as your premiere consideration. Not if you expect to win many games.

Well I knew you were alright VF, I will forget the fact that you like the Niners.

I have a good feeling about the ND/USC game. It is in South Bend and it has the feeling of a classic ND game were you just know something good will happen at the end. I won't jinx it with a prediction but it is going to be a great game.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
^^Because I'm so nice... and sweet ... and kindly, I'm not going to mention what happened to YOUR team today.

(Of course, I already called my daughter - several times - to make innocent comments about the weather, how she's feeling, and - oh, BTW - how the Cowboys did.)

Bwahahahahahaha!

The ND/USC game should be a classic. That's what I enjoy most. Regardless of the final outcome, it's the caliber of play that comes through in some of those college games that keeps me on the edge of my chair from start to finish.