NBA All-defense team announced

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The voters gave Dejounte the 5th most 1st team votes for some reason (I'm guessing it's almost like a "Well, the Spurs have to have something" sort of thing).

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
And the fact that any Denver Nuggets players got votes at all is an argument that the concept of journalists voting for player awards is dumb and should go away.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Oladipo & Holliday as first teamers over Embiid and Horford? Dejounte Murray all second team.....good god these lists are awful and it goes to show you how much the NBA needs some quality defenders again.
Well, except that, First of All™, Jrue Holiday is a very good defender, and earned his spot on the First Team. And, Second of All, they didn't get in "over" Embiid and Horford because, unlike the All-Rookie Team, which has been "positionless" since at least 2010 (if you'll recall, Tyreke Evans' ROY campaign saw the First Team include four point guards and Taj Gibson, compare that to 2016, which basically ended up being four centers and Devin Booker), the All-Defensive Team continues to be voted on according to "traditional" positions. Which means, by rule, there's only room for one center, and that spot went to Gobert.

If you want to make an argument for Embiid and/or Horford being snubbed, it needs to start with how Covington got the second forward spot over either one of them. Also, quiet as it's kept, Anthony Davis' defense is lowkey overrated as ****. I probably would have put him on the Second Team.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Well, except that, First of All™, Jrue Holiday is a very good defender, and earned his spot on the First Team. And, Second of All, they didn't get in "over" Embiid and Horford because, unlike the All-Rookie Team, which has been "positionless" since at least 2010 (if you'll recall, Tyreke Evans' ROY campaign saw the First Team include four point guards and Taj Gibson, compare that to 2016, which basically ended up being four centers and Devin Booker), the All-Defensive Team continues to be voted on according to "traditional" positions. Which means, by rule, there's only room for one center, and that spot went to Gobert.

If you want to make an argument for Embiid and/or Horford being snubbed, it needs to start with how Covington got the second forward spot over either one of them. Also, quiet as it's kept, Anthony Davis' defense is lowkey overrated as ****. I probably would have put him on the Second Team.
if Jrue is a "very good" defender, why did it take this long for him to appear on any all-nba defensive teams? this is his first one if I'm not mistaken.

if Jrue is a "very good" defender, why did it take this long for him to appear on any all-nba defensive teams? this is his first one if I'm not mistaken.
Post all star break, it was like he turned into an A+ defender. I didn't notice Jrue's defense at all during the first 3 games we played against them but that last game opened my eyes. It was a bully stealing a bunch of kid's lunch money. He took our players to the wood shed that game any time they tried to dribble the ball near him. He carried that on to the playoffs and that was a big reason why they took care of Portland so easily.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It took Jrue Holiday this long to appear on an All Defensive Team for the same reason why Kobe Bryant was named to the All Defensive Team twelve times, even though that was patently ridiculous: because the people who get the vote are only paying attention to the glamour teams. And, if you're not on one of the glamour teams, they forget you exist, unless they see you in the playoffs. After that, once the voters see you do it in the post-season, you get the Tony Allen treatment, where they're like, "Oh, I remember this guy bothered LeBron last year, let me not forget to vote for him!"

This year, Holiday finally got the benefit of playing on a team that, while not a 'glamour' team, was a team that people were intrigued in, first because they wanted to see how the Davis/Cousins experiment would work, and then because they wanted to see whether New Orleans would collapse after the Cousins injury. That, and Holiday was actually healthy, for a change.