NBA alerts teams about how to handle inconclusive coronavirus tests

• Thread starter Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
  • Start date
M

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. The NBA in a memo sent to teams on Wednesday raised awareness about inconclusive tests for coronavirus possibly affecting recovered players. The memo, which was obtained by USA TODAY Sports, said that “an individual who has recovered from COVID-19 but who returns a PCR test with an inconclusive result or a CT value beyond the level of detection will not be quarantined or otherwise restricted from participating with their team based on this test result” so long as various p...

Continue reading...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From the article:

The NBA announced Monday that two out of 322 players tested positive for COVID-19 during quarantine when teams arrived in Florida last week, and those players have since returned to their respective home markets.
Houston’s Russell Westbrook and Sacramento’s Harrison Barnes announced they tested positive for COVID-19 before their respective teams left for Orlando. In total, 25 out of 351 NBA players and 10 out of 884 staff members tested positive for the coronavirus when the first testing period began between June 23-29.
I think that's the first time I'd seen those numbers.

From the article:

I think that's the first time I'd seen those numbers.
Those are huge infection rates for the players ..... I thought they were high when they were reporting 16 out of 302! Ultra sensitive tests? Accurate is another question.

25 out of 351 is pretty alarming. Although it would appear most we are aware of are asymptomatic, which would actually be helpful in understanding the science of COVID-19 but also extremely not helpful in containing the virus. Yikes.