Monarchs Free Agent Signings

I did not realize that there is a gang of Free Agents available on this the first day of WNBA Free Agent signings List list.... (http://www.wnba.com/features/player_movement_06.html) ....is so long that I do not have room to put them down. But here are a couple of names that i would like to see the Monarchs pursue to add to the roster.

Janeth Arcain
A defender, a veteran could easily slide into Newton's spot. Doubt that Houston would let her go, but we can dream can't we?:eek:

Amanda Lassiter
Young, wirey, energy, a Maiga type player that can defend, a Bay Area native (GW High - San Francisco). Would fit into the starting line up next to Ticha.

Tameka Whitmore
Tough as nails. Straight up hard core on the boards and in the paint.:mad: A perfect backup to Yo and if Yo retires after 2006, would be a nice replacement until a young person is ready to step in. Would rather have her than OSR.

Purple Reign said:
Janeth Arcain
A defender, a veteran could easily slide into Newton's spot. Doubt that Houston would let her go, but we can dream can't we?:eek:
I think the big question with Janeth, other than whether or not she'd leave Houston, is will she even play in the W this summer? She's a big part of the Brazillian team that will be competing in the World Championships later this year. She's been known to skip the WNBA season in order to play for Brazil.

I would think the WC's are going to have some impact on the W season this year.

OSR is less expensive I believe than Whitmore (who got a ridiculously fat contract last time around) and OSR happily accepts the role she has. I'd rather us pick up a true center than Whitmore. Our Yo replacement currently wears #32 or #22 (depending on matchups.) Between Walker and Brunson - who do you take minutes from in 2007 to give Whitmore the minutes she has grown accustomed to? If there's a chance you might lose Walker in 2007, then maybe we need a PF/C-ish type player this year. But right now I don't see that need unless they reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly are concerned that Walker can't play this year at all.

And the true center I want should strictly be a minutes eater behind Walker and Brunson. I'd take a look at Snow if she's unrestricted.....maybe. But I thought Scott gave us solid minutes when DeMya went down and had solid minutes during the playoffs.

Lassiter - heck no. What..she's working on possibly her 4th team? She's too inconsistent. I'd rather stick with Maiga - who is less expensive and at least knows the system. Coach T talked a couple of weeks ago of them just needing to settle Maiga down because she has a tendency to play too fast to be under control and consistently effective. When T gave us the overseas stats for the players - I thought Maiga was doing pretty well. Her FT% was definitely impressive - I believe she was around or very close to 70%

Arcain - no. If she were willing to leave Hou I'd think about it but her salary range would be prohibitive in the near term. I don't think we have a lotta veteran salary cap room to play with.

We could use a banger inside to help ''YO'' I'd take a chance on Whitmore...if shes ready to play? In the Monarchs system I, maybe her game comes back.
Look forward to this 10 season... Anticipation building.

Monty'sBiggestFan said:
Lassiter - heck no. What..she's working on possibly her 4th team? She's too inconsistent.

Arcain - no. If she were willing to leave Hou I'd think about it but her salary range would be prohibitive in the near term. I don't think we have a lotta veteran salary cap room to play with.
So in other words you would rather go young in that "2" guard slot than go for a veteran. I like Lassiter. I think that her length is comparable to Newton and I've never followed her close enough to know whether she is consistant or not, I like her energy on the floor. Not that I would give up Maiga, never ever. But you can not have enough energy players.

I disagree about Scott-Richardson. I never felt comfortable with her on the floor. And with this possibly being Yo's last season and with all the milage she has on her body, I would not feel comfortable wth OSR getting increased minutes. I have never looked at Becky Brunson as a center, but more a natural power forward. I do agree that she is more than capable of playing center.

Yes, I guess that's my gut level feeling. Arcain isn't going to play much longer with or without the WC tugging on her obligations. We'd just be stop gapping with her and the roster spot she'd have and us having two low first round picks. We should go younger in that spot

We've spent the last several season playing relatively undersized at the center position, we have a lotta athleticism and length but we don't have a lotta height and bulk - especially if you consider the centers in this conference.

OSR isn't going to get increased minutes, she's going to get the minutes she's always had in the role she had when DeMya couldn't/didn't start - which is why I don't think they'd bring another power forward who would have to rotate into the 5 spot unless we played without a SF and went back to the good ol' days of the three headed post player. Scott-Richardson is the closest we have to a true center and importantly, she had a role that she wholely embraced and accepted. OSR was much more valuable than Anderson had been on the bench and in the minutes on the floor - that's who I'd been comparing her to. Is she a long term solution? No, if for no other reason than salary cap. Brunson probably won't ever slide to the 5 for any minutes - but somebody has to and it'll likely be Walker, like it was in those lineups we saw when Yo was off the floor late in the season.

http://www.wnba.com/voices/offseasonblog.html

In Other News...
The Sacramento Monarchs have signed new training camp contracts for Cisti Greenwalt and Dionnah Jackson. Both players were selected in the 2005 WNBA Draft. The Monarchs actually selected Greenwalt, a center out of Texas Tech, with the 35th overall pick while Jackson was drafted 13th overall by the Detroit Shock with the last pick in the first round.

They better not let her leave. Penicheiro may be aging but she fits this team perfectly and great PGs are hard to find in the women's league.

Carole said:
Ticha has not yet been re-signed...are the Monarchs thinking?

So far, Ticha is still an unrestricted free agent. If any other team wants to sign her, they can have her, and the Monarchs wouldn't get any compensation.

Hopefully, Whiz is still trying to get negotiate an offer to Ticha and her agent before another team does.

Still, Ticha has been in the league (and Monarchs) since 1998, so it's very likely she is commanding a pretty high salary that the WNBA can allow. That high price range is definitely a factor if another team thinks they can afford her.

I'm excited about Dionnah Jackson. From what I remember about the draft last year is that she was highly regarded before the draft combine, but her draft stock took at hit for reasons I don't know. So we'll have to wait and see what she has to offer.

Cisti Greenwald was on the roster last year as our 3rd round draft pick. She, I thought, had done a pretty serviceable job in the minutes she got in preseason but we didn't have roster space for her. I believe she's currently on the roster of the NWBL team in San Jose. I liked her a little bit @ Texas Tech - not as much as I liked other post players in the Big 12, but she gets her job done.

I too couldn't figure out why Johnson's stock dropped - or if it was a matter of Haynie's stock rising. I believe the story was that Whiz liked Johnson last year and given that signal out so much so that Laimbeer used his earlier first round pick on somebody else instead of taking Haynie. I think Laimbeer took Johnson with his pick and then tried to get Whiz to swap.

I'm not concerned about Ticha, coach T seemed pretty confident that she was going to be in his offense at the Monarchs 101 event. Ticha has earned the right to look around if she is indeed taking her time to look around. Does anybody know if Whiz cored her during the expansion draft prep period?

First off, yeah Ticha!!! Also, nice to see that we're filling up our roster with some possible replacements for Chelsea. Are Miao and Sui supposed to come back this upcoming season?

I'm here in Michigan watching with great interest what Coach Wiz is up to.
I was hoping Anne O'Neil would take another shot with the Monarchs this spring. She's been assistant coaching this winter at Eastern Illinois U.
She's a terrific perimeter shooter, and was first-team all Big 12 a year ago.
She was injured early on in camp last year, coach must have liked what he saw. Greenwalt has size, but needs to add a little "mean streak" to play at this level. Jackson has been rather inactive since her senior year, had surgery of some kind last year, she's certainly worth a look, if healthy now.

If you can shoot like apparently O'Neill can shoot from the perimeter, you're gonna catch Whiz' eye. O'Neill shot some ridiculously insane % from 3pt range her senior year. If she can snag a spot and some minutes mixing her, Powell and Lawson for stretches might keep some defenses honest and off our post players.

"A dominating presence in the lane with the ability to hit shots outside the key ... an experienced senior leader ... 2000 Big Ten Freshman of the Year."

Now, that is impressive. Latoya sounds like a very good addition.

So, how come they didn't have to wait for 'draft' to get her?

Last edited:

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Carole said:
"A dominating presence in the lane with the ability to hit shots outside the key ... an experienced senior leader ... 2000 Big Ten Freshman of the Year."

Now, that is impressive. Latoya sounds like a very good addition.

So, how come they didn't have to wait for 'draft' to get her?

She should have graduated in 2004?

Looks like she did indeed graduate in 2004 and was drafted that year by Phoenix. I saw some other stats for her since her OSU days - she's played in Israel and with the Dallas entry of the NWBL and put up pretty nice numbers there in terms of PPG and REBs, looked also like her FT% had improved as well.

Actually, I take that back, she wasn't drafted by Phoenix, but did apparently end up on their roster at some point. She wasn't drafted at all it appears unless she was cut incredibly early in camp. The earliest transaction I saw was for her signing as a FA with LA, then being cut, and then signing with Charlotte and being cut.