Mike Brown hired as Head Coach

Good thing?

• Total voters
Ok - you got me on Turner. I can't remember Wetzel, name is familiar but couldn't pick him out of a lineup. Also not sure if either ever advanced beyond, I think we have 2-3 future head coaches not to mention Bobby in Stockton.
Turner got some press a few years ago for never getting a main gig despite being such an accomplished lead assistant. Byron Scott and Terry Porter both worked under Adelman for stints before getting lead gigs, but I don’t know if you’d say there’s an “Adelman coaching tree” necessarily.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
FWIW, I think a lot of his challenges in the last 20 games have been to make a point. Not necessarily to win the challenge. He was winning them on the regular earlier in the season.
I thought this about his challenges early in the season too though.

I'd like to see either a review center in NY handle all replays or have an off court official review and decide. It's just absurd to have the ref being challenged get to stand his ground if he feels like being a turd. Make it an independent judgement.

Why would we feel shame? The team has sucked for 16 years. It isn’t the end of the world to be marred in pessimism. In the end we’re (mostly) still here and willing to admit we were wrong.
Being mired in pessimism is not the end of the world you are right. It's also EXTREMELY unhealthy, both mentally and physically. 0/10, would not recommend.

I think the key takeaway is the rearranging of deck chairs. Sometimes it’s better to just go full steam ahead into the iceberg. And if so, might as well hire Mark Jackson, pound shots, and breakdance next to the band as it sinks.
Back then, I thought at this point, I'd be drinking in all this miserable person's hate and bitterness as we rally into the Playoffs.

But reading it now, it serves more as a cautionary tale to not be blinded by your echo chamber. Especially when so many people out there these days chose to believe in their own "alternative facts", this should teach us (taught me, at least) that just because your eye test tells you certain things, and your heart tells you certain things, sometimes it is nowhere close to the truth like those who have intimate knowledge would suggest otherwise.

I thought this about his challenges early in the season too though.

I'd like to see either a review center in NY handle all replays or have an off court official review and decide. It's just absurd to have the ref being challenged get to stand his ground if he feels like being a turd. Make it an independent judgement.
Didn't they originally have this for challenges? I'm not sure when this switched to an on-court dedision

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Didn't they originally have this for challenges? I'm not sure when this switched to an on-court dedision
I thought so too. Maybe it was playoffs only? Still it's hard to imagine on any given night that there'd be two simultaneous challenges more than once or twice a season. Especially since the replay center can get it right without feeling like they have to save face somehow.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Mike Brown should be the Coach of the Year. Which would be a nice honor for him (he would join a very small group of two-time winners) and a credit to these players for buying in and carrying themselves like a team that deserves to be in the playoffs. He's already won four championships as an assistant coach. Here's hoping he gets his first as a head coach right here in Sacramento!

I was a day 1 Mike Brown bandwagoner and saw this squad as having huge potential, but this is way more than even my most homer self would have dreamed of
I was uninspired by the Mike Brown hire. I wasn't really excited about any of the candidates, truthfully.

Boy am I super happy to be WRONG about Coach Brown. I just hope we end up accomplishing more than just being a good regular season and 1st round story.