Michael Finley thread (merged)

Mavericks Waive Finley

Just reported on ESPN a few minutes ago.

here is the article :

"DALLAS -- Michael Finley's final day with the Dallas Mavericks arrived Monday, when the team waived its longtime leader and captain.

"This has been a very difficult process for all of us," Mavericks president of basketball operations and assistant coach Donnie Nelson said in a statement. "Michael has played a huge role in rebuilding this franchise and taking it to where it is today. He is a winner in every sense of the word and I am proud to have shared a locker room with him. We thank him and wish him nothing but the best."

Under a one-time amnesty provision in the NBA's new labor contract, the Mavericks saved $51 million in luxury taxes over the next three years by waiving Finley, who became an unrestricted free agent.

Finley will still be guaranteed the $51 million left on his contract, plus whatever money he gets from a new team. He won't be able to re-sign with the Mavericks until his original contract expires after the 2007-08 season, when he will be 35.

Among the teams expected to try to sign Finley are the Suns, Spurs, Heat, Pistons and Nuggets, according to ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

The San Antonio Spurs have just over half of their $5 million mid-level exception remaining to woo Finley, and the top two teams in the East are offering more. The Miami Heat and the Detroit Pistons will be offering Finley a contract starting at the full mid-level exception, as will the on-the-rise Denver Nuggets.

The deadline for taking advantage of the amnesty provision was midnight ET Monday.

Finley was traded to the Mavericks from Phoenix on Dec. 26, 1996, and is the longest-tenured player on the Dallas roster. He averaged 19.8 points for the Mavericks over 626 games the past 8½ seasons.

The Mavericks reportedly have already found Finley's replacement.

Reports out of Texas said the Mavericks have reached an oral agreement with veteran swingman Doug Christie on a one-year, $3 million deal. Before Christie officially becomes a Maverick, he must wait seven days to clear waivers, according to league rules.

Christie was waived Thursday by the Orlando Magic under the same amnesty clause.

Finley was an All-Star before Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki were, then together that trio became known as the "Big Three" -- taking the Mavericks from being one of the league's worst teams to having at least 50 wins and going to the playoffs four straight seasons. Nash left as a free agent last summer to the Suns.

In 2001, Finley signed a maximum contract of $100-plus million over seven years. The Mavericks owe him about $16 million for 2005-06, with salaries of roughly $17 million and $18 million over the next two seasons.

This past season, Finley had some of the lowest averages in his 12 NBA seasons, scoring 15.7 points a game -- his lowest ever in Dallas. He shot 42.7 percent from the field and averaged a career-low 4.1 rebounds.

Since averaging at least 20 points a game in his first five full seasons in Dallas, Finley's scoring average has dropped each of the last three seasons.

In June, Finley had arthroscopic surgery to remove bone chips from his right ankle, which bothered him most of the season and even made him miss 15 games before Christmas. The surgery was successful, and he should be fully recovered by the start of training camp.

Christie, who played for the Sacramento Kings before being traded to the Magic in January, will still get about $8 million for Orlando. He's also played for the Los Angeles Lakers, New York Knicks and Toronto Raptors, averaging 11.4 points and 1.9 steals per game over his career.
"

I think Finley ends up on Nuggets... I don't quite think Lenard is the guy they've planned to start.

Miller/Finley/Carmelo/K-Mart/Camby - great and fun starting line-up. Would be one of the tops in NBA. Along with a deep bench.

i could see him goin to the east with the cavs. even though thats a far shot.

lineup would be:

pg Finley
sg hughes
sf james
pf marshall/gooden
c Big Z

i'd be happy b/c its less times we have to see him during the regular season and playoffs.

as far as im concerned anywhere else but the lakers :D

finley as pg...? i'm not that sure about that. i know he can handle the ball, he did it on some plays with nash, but i don't know if he would work as a consinstent pg.

Finley won't play PG with the Cavs. In that scenario Hughes plays PG, Finley plays SG and the rest remain the same.

It might not work, but for the right price I'd give it a go.

Finley has NO handles whatsoever, that was one of his biggest knocks here in Dallas.

This is a sad, sad day for us Mavs fans but in the end, it was the right thing to do. As far as where he's going - Miami seems like the front runner but it would make me poop my pants if he goes to San Antonio. I don't think Phoenix can afford him, he'd have to take a major discount to go there but you never know he may do it...?

sactownsfinest said:
wow, he would be a much better SG than bonzi

if we somehow got him, id guarantee a championship for us
You're kidding about the championship part, right?

Detroit and Miami would be my top choices, with SA in third place. Good balance of money, playing time and championship possibilities.

sactownsfinest said:
wow, he would be a much better SG than bonzi

if we somehow got him, id guarantee a championship for us
No he wouldn't. On the Kings, I'd take Bonzi's versatility and toughness over Finley's shooting anyday, don't think he's a good defender either. Only way we could get him is by vet. mininum. Sac I bet isn't even in his main options, nor has it been talked about in any to relation with Finley in where he'd go or who has interest. I don't think we need much more offense anyways, and he's older now.

Denver I think because of a starting job...

Last edited:

209KingsFan

Can anyone give me a reason why the Mavs decided to dump this guy, knowing they would still have to pay his ludicrous salary?

Ok, I know that they get his contract "off the books" to avoid the luxury tax, but if he's been such a fan favorite and he still has some (if not most) of his game still, why would the Mavs decide to release their captain?

Do they feel they no longer need him, or is his salary too high to justify keeping him, or what? Personal issues?

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
My guess is that he is no longer worth the luxury tax they have to pay for his salary on the books. He is not worth the kind of money they pay him.....at least not any longer.

Finley to Miami or Detoit

1. Heat, Pistons Go After Finley

In the SUN-SENTINEL, Michael Cunningham writes that "the Heat fits one of free-agent forward Michael Finley's criteria -- a chance to win a title." But the "other consideration -- money -- isn't such a sure thing because Detroit also reportedly has its sights on Finley." The Heat and the Pistons "both can start Finley at a salary of $5 million using their mid-level exception."

http://www.nba.com/news/nbadaily_050818.html

here's the link to article in the sun-sentinel:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basketball/heat/sfl-nba17aug17,0,5105207.story?coll=sfla-sports-heat

Last edited:
I'm sorry .... Finley thread wasn't on PAGE 1 .... got lazy and didn't search

Won't hurt my feelings if it's moved ....

I mean we're talking about Finley ....
Are we talking about Finley ....
Yeah, we're talking about Finley ....

T

thesanityannex

Padrino said:
i blame finley for the influx of finley threads these days.
hey padrino, what was the thread name with the blame finley stuff from a few days ago. that was cracking me up, now i can't it.

Michael Finley's decision should come today, and insiders expect it will be Miami, not Detroit. The shooting guard is the hottest commodity left on the NBA free agent market and Detroit's No. 1 target since Dallas waived him last week under the new amnesty clause. And though the veteran has shown some interest in joining the Pistons as a backup for Tayshaun Prince and Richard Hamilton, a league source said it looks like Finley wants to join Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade in sunny south Florida."

Heat are stacking up. Which could be good, and not so good.

http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/pistons22e_20050822.htm

If he goes to Miami, who can beat them in the East? They may even be the favorites to win it all.

Starting 5: PG Williams
SG Wade
SF Finley
PF Walker
C Shaq

bench players: Haslem,Posey,Simien,Mourning,Laettner

Man what a strong lineup! Can that team still be beaten?

From ESPN/Miami newspaper articles, with quotes - Haslem will be starting at PF, it's already been said twice. I'd rather that anyways. Walker will be coming off the bench or playing at SF, same for Posey. Have read more bench talk about Walker. I'd much rather see Posey start, young and versatile, no ego. Plus he's one of my favs. Finley would back-up Wade, since there are two bigger options for SF, and has been said he'd come off the bench if he went to Miami. All up to today.

Heat are gonna, and already are a top three favorite to win it all.

Last edited:
More Finleyings:

Arizona Republic - For every Suns fan pining for a morsel of hope that Michael Finley would have announced a return to Phoenix by now, here is a long-distance dedication from San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich:

"I'd be surprised if Phoenix wasn't his choice," Popovich told the San Antonio Express-News at a Spurs news conference welcoming ex-Finley teammate Nick Van Exel on Tuesday. "I think he's got a great opportunity to start there and play a lot of minutes. He's got great relationships with a couple of their players, Steve (Nash) and Raja (Bell, both ex-Dallas teammates). I think he'd be really comfortable there."

Alas, it means nothing until it comes out of the mouth of Finley or his agent, Henry Thomas. A Thomas assistant said Tuesday that Finley had not made a choice. A decision was expected early this week after Finley used the weekend to mull over in-person presentations from Miami, Phoenix, San Antonio and Minnesota.

Finley is either truly torn or still negotiating, creating more limbo for a Suns franchise that just went through the Joe Johnson ordeal. Phoenix is more than happy to wait out this one if it means landing Finley, waived by Dallas on Aug. 15 for luxury tax savings, for a $1.1 million salary this season.

The Suns have not been given any new timetable. Finley has no deadline, but given his private nature, he likely does not relish the spotlight of his most-wanted status.
Suns getting Finley would put James Jones in a more limited role (SF, since he'd mainly play that) unless Jim Jackson wants to split time at SF/SG. But would obviously improve their bench more, and get some of that shooting back from the Q/JJ losses. Would hurt their defense to a degree in the starting line-up though.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/37174/20050831/spurs_coach_likes_suns_shot_to_land_finley/