Letting Holmes walk.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Assuming we give (gave already?) him the QO, we can match any offer for Terrance Davis. no matter our cap situation.
This is correct. The long version is:

Technically we do have to use an exception, even to match a player as an RFA. However, we have Early Bird rights on Davis. Due to the Gilbert Arenas provision, teams aren't even allowed to offer Davis more than the full Early Bird as an RFA, so we are able match *any* offer. We would do that match with Early Bird, and not with the MLE. The MLE is slightly smaller than the Early Bird, and would be reserved to sign players from other teams.

I thought that if kings used our MLE to sign a C that if that signing puts us over the Cap, we could still match any offer sheet TD received even if we had no Cap Space left. And we can sign our Draft picks and any min Vet contracts even if over the Cap. Well there is a Cap hold of $4.6M for #9 Pick
Which reduces our cap space before using the MLE?
All cap holds (including a hold for the MLE!) count against cap space. Due to our various cap holds, we will not have cap space, and we would need to make some pretty serious maneuvers to get any. So at this point, don't worry about cap space. Holmes/Davis can be signed with Early Bird (but Holmes can receive an offer we can't compete with). #9 can be signed to the standard contract regardless of cap situation. #39, and any other player we might want to sign will basically have to fit into the MLE/Bi-Annual Exception, or get a league minimum contract.

I think the writing is on the wall: We’ll offer what we can, but Homes will have other and better offers. Now that Holmes is talking about “taking care of my family,” that’s code for “I’m looking elsewhere.”

Unfortunately, if Holmes signs elsewhere, we’ll need to use our mid-level exception on a replacement center. That won't leave us enough to bring back Terrance Davis, who I think could become a more important player for us than Buddy.
My hope is that Jericho Sims is there at 39 and they look at taking him. He can slide right in and provide upside and quality minuites at center from day 1. The other hope is that if Bagley stays, Holmes isn't re-signed so Marvin can get a legit shot at the center position if for nothing more than to boost his value. If they bring back Holmes and continue to use Bagley the way he is they might as well trade him for a future 2nd on draft night, he's going to create a toxic environment since he has to think about his own survival. That by itself could squash all hope in a playoff run.

per spotrac:
11 active roster $103,881,245
QO TD 1,889,178
QO Guy 1,489,065
QO King 1,489,065
Pick #9 4,603,320
1 MLE (Center) 9,536,000
Pick #39 -min 925,000

Total 17 man 123,812,873

Fox,Wright,Ramsey,Guy
Hali,Buddy,TD, James
Barnes,#9 SF,Woodard, King
Bagley, Metu,
MLE Center,Jones,#39

As long as matching offer sheet for TD doesnt push us over Luxury tax $136,606,000
(unlikely) I think we are fine.
We could also not sign Guy or King and add 2 different two-way players (Summer league?)
and Metu, Jones are not guaranteed (but I want to keep them)

We just can not make any offer sheets or offer sal above league min to UFA players

Last edited:
Very interesting. I get the feeling there are a ton of things on the verge of happening. Assuming both rumors are true, seems odd that we would want both Holmes and Harrell on the roster next year as they are duplicative. Wondering if Harrell then becomes part of a second deal? At the same time, if there is demand for him out there, you would think he'd just not opt into his player option and get to choose his next destination.

Very interesting. I get the feeling there are a ton of things on the verge of happening. Assuming both rumors are true, seems odd that we would want both Holmes and Harrell on the roster next year as they are duplicative. Wondering if Harrell then becomes part of a second deal? At the same time, if there is demand for him out there, you would think he'd just not opt into his player option and get to choose his next destination.
Yeah, that rumor/expectation that Holmes would return was another thing mentioned on the Lowe pod with the Draft express guys, too.

12 mil/season for Holmes is an insanely good value. Especially locking up his prime years. The Kings can't go higher than that, so if he resigns, we're getting a great price on him.
That would be incredible. If so, sounds like a wink-wink.

A Wagner/Holmes/Barnes frontline would super mobile and switchable. Not well suited for the real Big Boys, but I think nicely complementary on both ends. Wagner would need to get stronger on the boards and from 3, but real promise in that lineup. Assuming Wagner's there at #9, of course.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
12 mil/season for Holmes is an insanely good value. Especially locking up his prime years. The Kings can't go higher than that, so if he resigns, we're getting a great price on him.
Right, if the max we’re currently allowed to pay Holmes is all it takes to bring him back, I’m all in. It was the fear that we’d have to do something stupid like give him 20 mil a season that gave me pause

I'm not sure what's more likely the cause of the rumblings that Holmes is returning: (1) Holmes/his agent has surveyed the league already and is comfortable that the max the Kings can give him with his early Bird rights (which may or may not include the early player option to give the Kings full Bird rights) is about the best he can get, or (2) the Kings have a deal lined up to shed sufficient salary to make him a higher offer?

dude12

Hall of Famer
That would be incredible. If so, sounds like a wink-wink.

A Wagner/Holmes/Barnes frontline would super mobile and switchable. Not well suited for the real Big Boys, but I think nicely complementary on both ends. Wagner would need to get stronger on the boards and from 3, but real promise in that lineup. Assuming Wagner's there at #9, of course.
You misspelled Moody/Barnes/Holmes

Is Richaun Holmes still Kings' option as NBA free agency nears? (yahoo.com)

Sacramento has options to clear up space. They can shop either Marvin Bagley or Delon Wright, both of who are entering the final year of their contracts with the Kings. Bagley is owed $11.3 million this season and Wright’s contract is at $8.5 million.
If the Kings can clear Bagley off the books and not take any salary back, they could offer Holmes a deal with a starting salary around $17 million per season. With eight percent raises, that equates to a four-year, $76.6 million contract.
If Sacramento could find a taker for Wright without additional salary coming back, they could offer a contract in the four-year, $64 million range with a starting salary around $14 million range.

So James Ham is suggesting we trade Bagley or Wright with no salary back (and probably min Picks coming back)
so we can increase our offer to Holmes so we can keep him. Hmmmm I think we need Capt's Diagram again

1627524342368.png

Sacramento has options to clear up space. They can shop either Marvin Bagley or Delon Wright, both of who are entering the final year of their contracts with the Kings. Bagley is owed $11.3 million this season and Wright’s contract is at $8.5 million.
If the Kings can clear Bagley off the books and not take any salary back, they could offer Holmes a deal with a starting salary around $17 million per season. With eight percent raises, that equates to a four-year, $76.6 million contract.
If Sacramento could find a taker for Wright without additional salary coming back, they could offer a contract in the four-year, $64 million range with a starting salary around $14 million range.

So James Ham is suggesting we trade Bagley or Wright with no salary back (and probably min Picks coming back)
so we can increase our offer to Holmes so we can keep him. Hmmmm I think we need Capt's Diagram again

View attachment 10608
Not to go off topic in this thread, but at least my concern personally remains that this is not a one-year decision matrix. Keep Bagley > Bagley Pans Out opens a huge can of worms for the future, because "panning out" can mean a lot of things. It can mean a rotational player, or an all-star in one year who then plays 15 games every season after signing a big contract etc.

View attachment 10608
Like your Karnough map.

Well I like the guy, sure hope we don't regret the salary later.
If it's anythings close to what he's asking they will. 80 mil? Holy nopes. And if they dump Bagley to do it, this could be the kind of thing that goes down in history. That'll be it for Dumars if it goes south. No more NBA gigs for him.