Kings over .500/playoff bound?

I take solace knowing that we are watching a near future playoff team with the current roster. Don't discount the improvement that players like Fox and Bagley are bound to make.
Don't forget health. This team is knocking on the door of the 8th seed when Bagley missed significant time and Bogdan missed quite a bit of time at the beginning of the season. I fully believe if those two players are healthy all season the Kings are solidly be in 5th or 6th place.

I wonder what the team's record is when Fox, Buddy, Bogdan, Willie, Bagley and Harry all play?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
they aren't the teams to threaten the Kings. Need to have Utah lose some games because they've been getting their groove back of late and that's not looking good for the Kings
Utah had the toughest front end of their schedule and is on easy street down the stretch. They won't be the team that falls off. Although aside from Denver and Golden State I don't think any team in the West is a given, though the league will do their best to help LeBron get in.

It was always going to be tough for the Kings to get into the playoffs with the Western Conference as insanely tight as it is this year. That they're in the conversation at all is amazing, frankly. For years they've languished in fringe-mediocrity. That is, they weren't quite terrible, but weren't really even mediocre. And now that the West has separated itself even further from the East in terms of quality of competition, the Kings are having their coming out party? It's almost unthinkable that they should sit two games over .500 at the halfway point of this season, with the tough strength of schedule they're fighting through.

All of this is to say that Kings fans should be proud of this team no matter where they finish in the standings. Leapfrogging any of the teams above them is a difficult task, and if they rise to the occasion, that's great. This city will go absolutely bonkers come playoff time. But if we have to wait until next season, that would still represent an acceleration of this team's timeline for success by any reasonable expectation.

Heard a guy today talking about Dallas being one of those teams that might throw in the towel by the trade deadline and therefore being "sellers" in the trade market.
Last year at this time I was debating fans about DSJ vs D-Fox with fans saying we should have drafted DSJ. Haha, where are those fans now?!
DSJ is a 6'0 SG that the Mavs do not want back on their team. They are better with Luka running the PG. The Mavs were hyping this phony as a franchise player now he wants out. He sees the writing on the wall. The Mavs are in spin control trying to act like DSJ is an integral part of their team and future only to get the most trade value in return. This is quite the contrast to D-Fox who is untouchable, and even if the 76ers offered to us Ben Simmons we would be inclined to say "heck no, click!"

It was always going to be tough for the Kings to get into the playoffs with the Western Conference as insanely tight as it is this year. That they're in the conversation at all is amazing, frankly.
It is not that "amazing". I am not amazed. We had three emerging stars before the season began. The conventional sentiment and lame stream media was too stupid and oblivious to recognize. D-Fox: STAR. Buddy: STAR. Bogs: STAR. And Bogs has not even played that well! About 70% of his skill. When you have three star caliber players, you can be .500 plus when you get decent buy-in from role players. The only real surprise is Shump. He was an unknown but has been pretty good. We haven't played our best basketball. Giles is gaining his confidence. Bagley is coming on. Bjelica has been up and down and lately bad. WIllie is a fraud. Jackson is a fraud . Our backup PG has been trash until the last 5-10 games with Yogi. There is a trade to be made with our 11M space to take us to another level. Before the season began I said we needed to ditch Z-Bo to unleash the talent on this roster. That is what happened. Where we are now is a launching pad to where we want to go not something so laudable. This is the collective mindset in the locker room too. They are not "amazed", they are wanting more.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

This could make things interesting over the next few weeks.

current losses-
11) Wolves -24
10) Kings -22
9) Lakers -22
8)Clippers -21
7) Jazz -21
6) Spurs -20
5) Rockets- 19
4)Blazers -19
3) Thunder -18
Unfortunately, Rondo should be back pretty soon. I continue to be somewhat skeptical about LBJ's imminent return, but even if he came back a month from now, if the Lakers were still in sight of the playoffs he'd probably get them over the hump. The team I'm most pessimistic about on the list is the Wolves. They are so mentally weak I just can't see them turning it around. The Spurs are ridiculous. Are they ever going away?

Unfortunately, Rondo should be back pretty soon. I continue to be somewhat skeptical about LBJ's imminent return, but even if he came back a month from now, if the Lakers were still in sight of the playoffs he'd probably get them over the hump. The team I'm most pessimistic about on the list is the Wolves. They are so mentally weak I just can't see them turning it around. The Spurs are ridiculous. Are they ever going away?
Lebron returning definitely leaves the door wide open for the Lakers, depending on when and his ability to play at 100%.

I also wanted to draw attention to the minuscule gap in losses in the west. Can't make up losses so that's the column I'm keeping an an eye on.

Their play will improve with Rondo taking Ball's place.