Kings Notes: Return to action still uncertain for Peja

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/basketball/kings/story/12187222p-13055656c.html

Kings Notes: Return to action still uncertain for Peja

By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PST Sunday, January 30, 2005

MINNEAPOLIS - Peja Stojakovic is just chilling, well, as much as the Kings' small forward can when it's difficult to move one way or the other because his back locks up indiscriminately.

Friday night, Stojakovic said the back spasms that forced him to miss the previous two games have eased. However, that doesn't ensure his return to the lineup today against the Minnesota Timberwolves.

"I got treatment after our (team) meeting," he said. "I laid in bed. I did some stretching. I got more treatment. I haven't been doing a lot. I've just been trying to rest it and listening to (trainer) Mr. (Pete) Youngman. I'm just going day-by-day."

Friday night, Kings coach Rick Adelman didn't sound encouraged by Stojakovic's chances to play against the T-wolves.

"I have no idea," Adelman said. "He's day-to-day, but right now, it doesn't look good for (today), but we'll just have to wait and see."

Pick and pop, pick and pop - The image of Houston's Scott Padgett repeatedly hitting wide-open three-point shots, thanks to a version of the old pick-and-roll play, looked familiar for a reason.

When the Kings hosted the T-wolves on Nov. 28, Eddie Griffin benefitted from a similar strategy. He scored many of his 20 points from the perimeter off high pick-and roll plays.

But instead of rolling to the basket after setting the pick, Griffin, like Padgett on Friday night, popped back beyond the three-point circle and received wide-open looks.

Adelman knows there is a reason why the play has been around for decades.

"When you've got guys making shots," the coach said, "it's a very difficult play to defend."

Et cetera - Here is an odd statistic attached to the 2003-04 Western Conference finalist T-wolves, who have won their last five games after losing nine of 12.

They are 4-4 (3-3 at home) when they have shot between 50 percent and 54 percent.

Conversely, the Kings are 10-0.

* The Kings have lost 12 of their last 14 regular-season games at Target Center. That span includes a 92-75 pounding the Kings absorbed Feb. 19, when they were outrebounded 60-34. The Kings were without Brad Miller and Chris Webber in that game.

* By the time the Kings leave Portland next Saturday, they will have played seven games in nine days. The span will have included three back-to-back sets.

* In Friday night's 93-91 victory over the Utah Jazz, Minnesota coach Flip Saunders used all 12 players, including eight for at least 19 minutes. * The Kings' 29-13 record is one victory behind last season's 30-12 through 42 games.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
LMM said:
* The Kings have lost 12 of their last 14 regular-season games at Target Center. That span includes a 92-75 pounding the Kings absorbed Feb. 19, when they were outrebounded 60-34. The Kings were without Brad Miller and Chris Webber in that game.

* The Kings' 29-13 record is one victory behind last season's 30-12 through 42 games.
Those two items jumped out at me this morning when I read that article. I don't think we're going to have another visit in Target like the one on Feb. 19, 2004. I think it's pretty interesting that we're currently very close to last year's mid-season record, and we're currently playing without Bobby, without Pedja and without Mo Evans.

All in all, I feel pretty good about today's game - and just a little thankful (only because of the EARLY start-time) and a little wistful that we won't be screaming at the screen for them to pump more caffeine into Vlade. ;)

I hope that Peja doesn't come back till he is fully recovered. Even if we lose a few games in his absence, its more important to get him completely healthy.

bibbyweb said:
I hope that Peja doesn't come back till he is fully recovered. Even if we lose a few games in his absence, its more important to get him completely healthy.
I agree. While I'd love to have him play today, I think it is more important to look at the big picture than one game. Big picture, we need to get Pedja 100%, even if it means sitting him down longer than we'd like.

LMM said:
* By the time the Kings leave Portland next Saturday, they will have played seven games in nine days. The span will have included three back-to-back sets.

The Kings' 29-13 record is one victory behind last season's 30-12 through 42 games.
3 sets of back 2 back? Interesting. Pedja should definitely rest right now.

Nice to know about one victory behind last season. :)