[Game] Kings @ Nets- 4/7/2024 - 4:30PM PDT/7:30PM EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kings are hanging by their fingernails for a play-in spot. Given the cupcake schedule upcoming for the Warriors, this is a must win.
You do realize that "hanging by their fingernails for a play-in spot" does also require the team in 11th place (Houston) to still have a chance to catch up and grab either that 9th or 10th spot, right?

And you do also realize that by the Rockets losing their last game, the Kings are now guaranteed a spot in the play-in tournament, right?

Which also means that the best Houston can do is to knock the Warriors out of the play-in, and grab that 10th and final spot (Houston is mathematically eliminated from finishing any better than 10th).

I wouldn't call it a "must win" in terms of securing a play-in game, as we've already done so. I would, however, call it a "must win" in terms of either maintaining our current position, or moving up, and guaranteeing us AT LEAST a home game in the play-in tournament, even if we lose the opportunity to grab the 7th seed. ***(Note: If this paragraph was what you actually meant by your comments, then, yes, I agree with you...:p:p:p)***

So, yes, ideally, I'd like for us to be able to move up into 8th, so if we do end up dropping that 7/8 match for the 7th seed, we still host the winner of 9/10 for that 8th seed. If we end up in 9th or 10th, I am not sure how I would feel about our chances of going out on the road and getting it done.

At this point we should be realisticly shooting for 7/8. I don’t think a road game will hurt our chances since we get a 2nd shot at home, and we play just as good on the road tbh. A 9/10 however, I don’t like our chances against a one and your out against the warriors even at home. A warriors matchup is where we reallly miss Monk.

Kings need to win 4 of these last 5. If they can win all 5 that would be great but they definitely can’t afford to blow the Nets and Blazers games. Not ruling out a win in OKC but not expecting one. Gotta take out the trash and finally take care of home court vs PHX and NO

Kingster

Hall of Famer
You do realize that "hanging by their fingernails for a play-in spot" does also require the team in 11th place (Houston) to still have a chance to catch up and grab either that 9th or 10th spot, right?

And you do also realize that by the Rockets losing their last game, the Kings are now guaranteed a spot in the play-in tournament, right?

Which also means that the best Houston can do is to knock the Warriors out of the play-in, and grab that 10th and final spot (Houston is mathematically eliminated from finishing any better than 10th).

I wouldn't call it a "must win" in terms of securing a play-in game, as we've already done so. I would, however, call it a "must win" in terms of either maintaining our current position, or moving up, and guaranteeing us AT LEAST a home game in the play-in tournament, even if we lose the opportunity to grab the 7th seed. ***(Note: If this paragraph was what you actually meant by your comments, then, yes, I agree with you...:p:p:p)***

So, yes, ideally, I'd like for us to be able to move up into 8th, so if we do end up dropping that 7/8 match for the 7th seed, we still host the winner of 9/10 for that 8th seed. If we end up in 9th or 10th, I am not sure how I would feel about our chances of going out on the road and getting it done.
Agreed.:D

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Kings need to make the playoffs so we convey the pick this year. It will really suck if it doesn’t convey.
Fill me in on the "playoffs"/draft pick dynamics. Do you actually mean literally the playoffs, or does it also include play-in? If they play in the play-in and don't make the "playoffs" do they give up the pick or not?

It’s lotto protected, so if the finish 8th, but lose their play in games, they don’t make the play offs and we keep the pick. That is a nightmare scenario.

Look, I wear Purple colored glasses at times, but do we expect a team that has been highly unpredictable when healthy to somehow turn it on hurt at the end of the year?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Fill me in on the "playoffs"/draft pick dynamics. Do you actually mean literally the playoffs, or does it also include play-in? If they play in the play-in and don't make the "playoffs" do they give up the pick or not?
If the Kings get one of the 7-10 "play-in" slots, but do not win into a first-round playoff series, they will be a lottery team (pre-lotto position of somewhere between 11-14, depending on who else loses in the play-ins), thus they would not give up the pick, which is 1-14 protected this year.

Look, I wear Purple colored glasses at times, but do we expect a team that has been highly unpredictable when healthy to somehow turn it on hurt at the end of the year?
Sad reality of it, is that even if the kings do turn it on it probably won't be enough. Not only do they have to go 4-1 at the minimum, but it will require the pelicans to go 2-3 and the suns to either go 2-3 or 1-4 depending on the tie breaker. I mean it's not impossible, but as fans we like to believe in miracles. I'd be content to just remain 7th or 8th seed at this point.

Sad reality of it, is that even if the kings do turn it on it probably won't be enough. Not only do they have to go 4-1 at the minimum, but it will require the pelicans to go 2-3 and the suns to either go 2-3 or 1-4 depending on the tie breaker. I mean it's not impossible, but as fans we like to believe in miracles. I'd be content to just remain 7th or 8th seed at this point.
Ultimately, it all comes down to the fact that we don’t trust the Kings to even win one play in game at home lol. Does the team belong in the playoffs if that is the case?

What’s so bad about us potentially keeping the pick? I get it that it’s not considered a strong draft but you never know.
I think it’s because it makes the Kings less flexible in the trade market in regards to their draft picks with a first rounder being on hold for Atlanta

It’s not a “disaster” if it doesn’t convey but it would be better to have that over with for a weak draft

Last edited:
It's too soon and too hard to call. Suns have the most difficult schedule. Today they host Pels, then Clippers and finish the season with the 3 road games against Clippers, us and Minny.
Pels play us on the road.
Lakers have one home game left - against Minny. They beat Minny first time in LA, but Wolves played without Gobert and KAT.
We are favorites in today's game and will be favorites in last 3 games of the season at home. All options to finish from 2-3 to 5-0 are on the table. We play one game and look around. We play second game - and look around. 6th place is not a miracle, but a possibility. It's just too sad that we wasted so many games so far.

Kings need to make the playoffs so we convey the pick this year. It will really suck if it doesn’t convey.
it’s not ideal but the reality is even if doesn’t we can still trade the player we draft and several first rounders and second rounders. The other thing is if us fans think we are going package 4 first round picks for a player we will need to get in line because there are several teams that have more picks and young players to trade in a potential deal. A lot of uncertainty for this this offseason that’s for sure

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I think it’s because it makes the Kings less flexible in the trade market in regards to their draft picks with a first rounder being on hold for Atlanta

It’s not a “disaster” if it doesn’t convey but it would be better to have that over with for a weak draft
I suppose an argument could be made as follows:

Our trajectory starting in the '22-'23 season has been eerily similar to our trajectory starting in the '98-'99 season. New (veteran, 52-year-old) coach, fresh controversial trade of star guard for star big man, break playoff drought, get bounced in first round. With only minor roster changes, tiny step backwards in year 2.

What happened in the offseason between year 2 and year 3 back then? We had the #16 pick in a weak draft that turned out to have no true star (Kenyon Martin derailed by injury) and nailed it, grabbing Hedo as a major rotation piece. We traded a poor fit in Corliss for a good fit/team player/defensive upgrade in Christie. And we were much better the next year, on the verge of contention and sitting with the 25th pick.

If we can follow this pattern this offseason (get the 13th/14th pick in a weak draft, make one trade for a team upgrade, convey a 25+ pick next year), are we better off going forward than if we convey the pick this year, make a similar trade, improve next year and pick in the 20s range?

Really, the competing factors here going forward are
1) Mid-teens pick with an extra year of NBA experience vs. Early-20s pick a year later
and
2) All FRPs available for trade this summer vs FRPs encumbered until 2028

I don't know how to gauge which of those scenarios is more valuable to us.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
What’s so bad about us potentially keeping the pick? I get it that it’s not considered a strong draft but you never know.
Because of the Stepien Rule and the fact that trying to make trades almost always seems to deal in trading picks. Hell we had to trade a pick last year to get rid of Richaun.

All that said, I have been saying what Cap said above a lot - particularly in trying to keep years 2 and 3 in focus over a multi-year project vs. trying to throw all your chips in and once and only having a one or two season window. Frankly, a lot of the Kings biggest problems - holding home court, getting the wrong side of the ref's whistle constantly - those are things that are more likely that the slow approach will pay off for anyways.

And Cap has a good point about Hedo. And to be real - this draft is "bad" because there is nobody that has been identified as being worth tanking for. If you go back to what is thought of the worst draft on that grounds - no clear #1, and no reason to tank - I think you get to 2013, where Giannis was picked at 15.

On the flip side of that - when you look back at Vlade's tenure - so many of his bad moves came as a direct result of having our #1 pick tied up by what seemed like a very minor move when we traded Omri Casspi and a lottery protected first for JJ Hickson. This is again compounded by the fact that most people seem ready to move on from Huerter (who at minimum is a Monk leaving in FA insurance policy) so like the Hickson trade our future flexibility would potentially be hampered by a guy no longer with the club if we wind up trading Kev in the summer.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
If the Kings get one of the 7-10 "play-in" slots, but do not win into a first-round playoff series, they will be a lottery team (pre-lotto position of somewhere between 11-14, depending on who else loses in the play-ins), thus they would not give up the pick, which is 1-14 protected this year.
I'm near certain we would have to fall back to 10th or win a top 4 spot to not pick 14 if we miss the playoffs. Unless the Heat and Philly both out win us (currently we're ahead of both) and the loser of their 7/8 can't beat the Bulls or Hawks.

Capt. Factorial

Staff member
I'm near certain we would have to fall back to 10th or win a top 4 spot to not pick 14 if we miss the playoffs. Unless the Heat and Philly both out win us (currently we're ahead of both) and the loser of their 7/8 can't beat the Bulls or Hawks.
My mistake above on 11-14 - actually ONE of the 7/8 seeds in the East has to make the playoffs, so at most one East play-in loser can finish ahead of us. If we finish 9 or 10, and one of the 7/8 West seeds falls out, that would also bump us up one. If we finish in 7/8, then it's either 13/14, and 14 most likely.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
My mistake above on 11-14 - actually ONE of the 7/8 seeds in the East has to make the playoffs, so at most one East play-in loser can finish ahead of us. If we finish 9 or 10, and one of the 7/8 West seeds falls out, that would also bump us up one. If we finish in 7/8, then it's either 13/14, and 14 most likely.
You're right I wasn't considering the possibility of finishing 9 and the 10 seed playing in. I think I was either thinking we'd beat them and lose the second game or that 10 would fall to the 7/8 loser.

Status
Not open for further replies.