Kings Don't Do Things Necessary for a Championship!!!

i am starting to realize that the kings are not a championship caliber team... as much as i would love to believe we are just one healthy bobby jackson away from a ring, i am starting to realize that this current team does not have the mental and physical toughness to win the championship...

missed free throws... missed crunch time shots... lost rebounds... not going after lose balls... not making critical defensive stops... this team just does not do the little things needed to win a championship... and they have not shown the desire to do it the past 2 years, since the 2002 season... the kings look so lazy on the court... a mentally tough team would have closed out the final 3 games before the break with 3 wins after that horrendous 4 game losing stretch... a non focused, mentally weak team, like the kings, wilt under pressure AGAIN!!!!

time for petrie to shake things up???... well in my opinion something has to change and fast!!!... otherwise it will be one round and out come playoff time!!!

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Some of the things you mention are true. While I don't agree that this team isn't championship caliber, its hard to argue what is fact, at least statiscally speaking.

I'm starting to realize it also, But Miller is still the man. win or loose. The best trade G.P. ever did. Now its time to replace Peja, he has the Flu and had to go home?

Last edited:
I believe they are a championship caliber team. I will however, have to say that right now they are not playing like one. But you cannot discount what all these alwful calls have done to their morale and a huge part of this game is mental. Nothing can be done about the awful officiating, so they need to stop worrying about them and dig in and start playing up to their abilities. IMHO they have the talent to beat their opponents and the officials too, if they want it bad enough. They are getting out hustled, out boarded, et al and its costing them.

Currently the team is not championship caliber... this does not mean that it cannot figure things out and make a strong run though. I think this is pretty doubtful given our past history and the fact that our personnel and team mentality are just not pointed enough in the direction of rebounding & defense... I'm really thinking though that next year (yay) a strong effort will be made to solve this problem. GP will figure something out.

Another thing to consider is that the playoffs are a whole new season. Who knows what type of effects "regular-season-itis" is wreaking now? It is a concern though because as much as you'd like to believe you can suddenly start playing the right way in the playoffs, it won't happen. Bad habits die hard.

My hopes are not high for this season, but I think with a little re-tooling this team can be a bit more balanced...

They'll compete hard once the playoffs start. I don't think they have much of a shot getting to the Finals though. You can't win the big one with offense alone in ANY sport (well besides bowling). :)

kings need to regain their swagger... they have not had it since the 2002 season... there is no one on this team that steps up and says we are not going down like that... bobby jax gave us that mentality, but he has been injured so much, we wouldn't know if he could bring that swagger back with him... the kings need to find that swagger again, instead of just going through the motions!!! i do agree there is time to turn things around... but how do you get a team that is so used to not playing defense and rebounding to start doing it now??? if someone can figure that out, please let adelman know!!!

SaCKiNgS24 said:
our bench had a total of 23 points. gordon off the bench alone had 24! DEEPEN OUR BENCH!
I can't remember what game, but there was a game that Gordon came off the bench and scored at least 30 points in the 2nd half. So it's not surprising to me that Gordon scored 24 today. He's a good rookie and will only get better. Plus, our starters play more mins than our bench so it's hard to judge.

Our offense lost the game for us tonight. It was horribly ineffecient. Even though we could defend better inside, we did outscore them in the paint 34-30. We also didn't rebound well but we caused enough turnovers to allow us to take 21 more shots! We took 87 shots they took 66! This is a stat I always look at, (total shots taken). I really think we missed Peja tonight, Barnes(his replacement in the starting lineup) didn't even score, Evans only had 4 and lost the ball in Key situations when Webb made steals. When's the last time Peja went for 0? If we could have just scored on a few more possesions(of the 21 extra we had) we would have been in a better position to win.

kgrichwine said:
Any team that allows the Bulls 107 points deserves to lose.
hmmm... sounds familiar.

like I said(in the other thread) the Suns opponents avg over 102 ppg. How many of their 40 wins do they deserve?

In this horrible losing streak we are on, I have seen that we are not playing defense at the end of games to close them out. We are content to just hang around all game thinking we will win it in the end but we don't make the defensive stops at the end or rebound well enough. This team has no fire right now. I hope they get it together for the playoffs.

Kings don't have the roster to win an NBA championship nor the philosophy. I await the day Petrie and Adleman stop trying to play a game of HORSE and make a team ready for the finals before I get my championship hopes up again.