Kevin Durant

Marc Stein@TheSteinLine
Just to clarify on Kevin Durant: Friday's deadline compels Durant to opt IN on his $26.3 million for next season if he chooses, but league sources say he has already informed the Warriors that he will let the deadline pass quietly so he can become a free agent July 1
Are they just banking on all their guys taking massive discounts like Durant did last year? Between him, Thompson and Green those are 3 max contracts coming up.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I split this out of he Free Agency Tracking Thread as I was hoping to keep that thread just for ... well ... tracking the free agency market, but I thought there was an interesting question here I didn't want to lose.

Now for the question...Is Durant going to sign for less or is he thinking about heading back to Oklahoma City like Kevin Garnett and Lebron James have done before him? You know, get your ring and then go back to the team you you started with.

I cannot imagine how that could work but is it possible?

Kevin Durant aint going anywhere, he sold his soul to join the Warriors and will remain there. The locker room at OKC wouldnt welcome him back with open arms nor should they.

Everyone will take less to make it work and keep it going as woeful as that is.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kevin Durant aint going anywhere, he sold his soul to join the Warriors and will remain there. The locker room at OKC wouldnt welcome him back with open arms nor should they.

Everyone will take less to make it work and keep it going as woeful as that is.
That was my first thought but then a little voice, "yes, but what if?" ;)