VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/content/news/story/14259114p-15073381c.html

'Good vibe' on arena plan
Backers of sales-tax measure meet with staffers from 5 cities to get feedback
By Mary Lynne Vellinga and Ed Fletcher -- Bee Staff Writers
Published 12:01 am PDT Tuesday, May 23, 2006

High-level staff members from five of Sacramento County's cities met Monday to discuss a rapidly forming plan to pay for a replacement to aging Arco Arena.

Sacramento city and county leaders had initiated the latest idea for building a new arena -- a plan that relies, at least in part, on voters approving a new quarter-cent sales tax -- and are seeking support of the other cities in the county.

As the plan moves closer to a public unveiling, its crafters say the sales tax measure could fund other projects throughout the county.

Monday's meeting "was an opportunity to begin a dialogue on what the involvement of the cities could look like, and what benefits could accrue to the other cities in the county," said Chris Holben, a spokesman for the new-arena effort.

Holben's services are on loan from Art Savage, chief executive officer of the River Cats baseball team. Savage and River Cats Executive Vice President Warren Smith have been donating their time to try to forge a deal for a new arena.

"There's a lot of very positive momentum and feeling on the part of the participants," Holben said. "I can't say that anything is about to happen, but at least there's a good vibe."

Elected officials from throughout the county have met at least once already, at a gathering last Thursday hosted by Smith at the exclusive Sutter Club. Gavin Maloof, whose family owns the Kings, attended that event, which Holben described as "purely social."

"It was almost a dream come true," Maloof said, speaking of the mood inside the Sutter Club. "There was so much positive energy. Everybody's goal is to get this done."

Maloof said Monday that he thinks involving cities beyond Sacramento makes financial sense. He said he was "cautiously optimistic" that this arena replacement effort will succeed.

Unlike last week's event, the Monday meeting did not involve elected officials -- just staff members from the various cities. Those who attended were tight-lipped about what was discussed.

The 90-minute session was held at Rancho Cordova's City Hall. Staff members from Sacramento city and county met with representatives from Elk Grove, Folsom, Rancho Cordova, Citrus Heights and Galt. No one from the city of Isleton was able to come.

Sacramento County Economic Development Director Paul Hahn said he expected the city staff members in attendance would now brief elected officials, who will eventually be asked to support the plan.

"Basically we presented the conceptual idea. It was really just a lot of questions and answers," Hahn said. "What we wanted is to get their feedback."

Officials said they hoped to work out as many potential snags as possible before sharing details of the plan. But there won't be long to mull over the plan. If a tax is part of the funding plan, voter approval is necessary.

To get a tax measure on the November ballot, the Sacramento County Board of Supervisors must approve it by early August.

Sacramento County Supervisor Roger Dickinson said Monday he expects it will be three weeks "at the outside" before the details of the nascent arena finance plan are made public. Key components remain to be worked out, including the contribution from the Maloofs.

"I personally see that as the driving factor," he said.

About the writer: The Bee's Mary Lynne Vellinga can be reached at (916) 321-1094 or mlvellinga@sacbee.com.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I am excited to see everyone seeming to work towards a resolution instead of bickering and finger-pointing. Very encouraging to see cities being involved as well! I think this bodes well for the future of the Kings in Sacramento....

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think this bodes well for the future of Sacramento in general! If they can come together for a common cause like this, then hopefully that will lay the groundwork for future cooperation. When you fly over the area around Sacramento, it's all becoming one vast endless "city" anyway. If the various municipalities can find ways to help themselves and each other, it becomes a win-win situation all the way around.

As the plan moves closer to a public unveiling, its crafters say the sales tax measure could fund other projects throughout the county.
And that will undoubtedly put to rest some of the critics who just didn't see any benefit to anyone not a Kings fan. Of course, there will never be 100% acceptance, but this is looking better and better.

One of the main ways people in Sacramento County can help is to make sure they vote; make sure their friends vote. Start soon. Talk to all the Kings fans you know. Make sure they understand that their vote might just make the difference. Make sure they're registered to vote in the November election. Plan "voting" parties. That is the ONE thing that can put this measure over the top. People are apathetic about voting. If you can help get people who support this to the polls, you're going to help get it approved.

:)

I'm with Joe and Gavin. I'm styaing cautiously optimistic. That vote scares me. That would just be a dagger right in the heart if it all came down to that vote, and it didn't pass. I

'm scared of the vote, because of what has been reported by the media so far with the support of public funds being used in anyway shape or form. Of course the media likes to report the negative, so maybe we're just hearing from one sect.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Houston and San Antonio went through similar times... If you're afraid of the vote, make sure everyone you know who supports the arena concept actually votes.

The media is being pretty supportive, IMHO. Yes, they reported the poll but other than that, I think they've been doing quite a bit to cast this in a positive light.

Here's some stuff from a while back about Houston and San Antonio:

http://www.kingsfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10924

I'm not saying the media is poo pooin the idea, I'm just saying what they have reported about public opinion hasn't been too promising. I love this idea, and finally there is a bright light at the end of a long tunnel. Still a long way to go though.

I'm really curious who would get the naming rights, and what the name of the arena will be. The name *Arco Arena* has been apart of Sacramento since Iived here*87*. It would be weird not going to Arco to see a Kings game.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
They sell the naming rights. I think I remember reading that Arco had first refusal on renewing their contract, but I'm not sure...

DocHolliday said:
I'm really curious who would get the naming rights, and what the name of the arena will be. The name *Arco Arena* has been apart of Sacramento since Iived here*87*. It would be weird not going to Arco to see a Kings game.
Not as weird as living in Boston and going from 'the garden' to the Fleet Center - now that is weird.

VF21 said:
They sell the naming rights. I think I remember reading that Arco had first refusal on renewing their contract, but I'm not sure...
Well of course they sell the naming rights, I'm just wondering who will get it. I wonder if Arco would want to renew. It would be kind of Cool since the Maloofs own Coors, or at least have their hands in it, if they bought the naming rights. Coors Arena.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was simply responding to your question. As I said, I believe Arco has first refusal. The Maloofs don't own Coors, by the way. What they do own is the distribution rights for both Coors and Millers in New Mexico and most of the southwest. The primary ownership of Coors is still vested in the Coors family.

VF21 said:
I was simply responding to your question. As I said, I believe Arco has first refusal. The Maloofs don't own Coors, by the way. What they do own is the distribution rights for both Coors and Millers in New Mexico and most of the southwest. The primary ownership of Coors is still vested in the Coors family.
Gotcha. I knew they had something to do with those two beers. Well it would still be cool if either one of those companies, because of their business association with the Maloofs bougt the naming rights if Arco refused. I could handle Miller or Coors Arena.

Can you name a building after an alcoholic beverage even? Seems like a logical question to me, and I wonder if anyone would have a serious problem with that.

SKFFL said:
Can you name a building after an alcoholic beverage even? Seems like a logical question to me, and I wonder if anyone would have a serious problem with that.
I would think there would be some families who might have an issue taking their little ones to a game at the Coors Arena.

Personally I hope Arco keeps the naming rights. It just wouldn't seem right with another name unless we could get it named Kings Arena. ;)

Prophetess said:
I would think there would be some families who might have an issue taking their little ones to a game at the Coors Arena.

Personally I hope Arco keeps the naming rights. It just wouldn't seem right with another name unless we could get it named Kings Arena. ;)
I agree, but isn't one of Denver's stadiums named Coors Field?

Originally Posted by Prophetess

Personally I hope Arco keeps the naming rights. It just wouldn't seem right with another name unless we could get it named Kings Arena.
LPKingsFan said:
I agree, but isn't one of Denver's stadiums named Coors Field?
Oh that's right. The Denver, Colorado connection. And, anyone that has a problem with taking their child to an arena named after a beer is worrying about the completely wrong things. There are Coors and Miller commercials on TV all the time. Chances are if your child is of the age of reason, and comprehension they know what Coors and Miller are already. It's beer. Now do they really know what beer is, well that depends on how old they are, and well do you have beer in your fridge?? Have you ever had a beer in front of them??

Worry about things like their Yahoo Messenger, the internet in general, MySpace, their friends influences and who they are hanging out with in general. Those are real dangers. Not taking them to Miller Arena.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
DocHolliday said:
Oh that's right. The Denver, Colorado connection. And, anyone that has a problem with taking their child to an arena named after a beer is worrying about the completely wrong things. There are Coors and Miller commercials on TV all the time. Chances are if your child is of the age of reason, and comprehension they know what Coors and Miller are already. It's beer. Now do they really know what beer is, well that depends on how old they are, and well do you have beer in your fridge?? Have you ever had a beer in front of them??

Worry about things like their Yahoo Messenger, the internet in general, MySpace, their friends influences and who they are hanging out with in general. Those are real dangers. Not taking them to Miller Arena.
Word.

Prophetess said:

Honestly, I have a bigger problem taking my kid to an arena with the name of an oil company.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't think kids even notice what the name of the arena is. And if they do, they're old enough to understand marketing.

There's beer sold inside the arenas. Why should the idea that a particular company has paid a lot of money for a long-running commerical display bother anyone?

Don't forget Busch stadium in St. Louis. Also, in Milwaukee they named their team the "Brewers" also known as the "Brew Crew." I think after home runs a guy slides down into suds or something. Is the rate of alcohol abuse in St Louis or Milwaukee any higher than it is here? I think we will be okay. :D

kupman said:
Don't forget Busch stadium in St. Louis. Also, in Milwaukee they named their team the "Brewers" also known as the "Brew Crew." I think after home runs a guy slides down into suds or something. Is the rate of alcohol abuse in St Louis or Milwaukee any higher than it is here? I think we will be okay. :D
If the rate of alcohol abuse is higher there it's because, it's Milwaukee Wisconsin, not because of the Brewers. ;)