Does half the fanbase have concerns of Bagley at the 2 pick?

Is half the fanbase concerned over Bagley at 2?

• Yes

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • No

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • A little

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • It’s too soon for this to be a discussion

Votes: 25 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
By the time the Kings will be good with that vision, the Warriors will be on the downside. There will be a bunch of wannabes left over that won’t be able to handle what these 2 guys can potentially be. I’m still confused about the supposed fit Luka has with this team. Will he supplant De’aaron as the lead ball handler? With his limited athleticism, can he guard 1s, 2s, 3s, and 4s in the league? As a lead ball handler will he be able to create against the plethora of athletic and long defenders in this league when he had a tough time with that in the Euroleague? Those are legitimate questions to his game and can’t be fixed due to his average at best physical gifts.
Analytics say the 3 point shot is the best shot so unless you get some sort of duo that's better than AD and Cousins, you aren't going to be a top tier team. It's not like AD and Cuz were whooping up on everyone other than the Warriors. The 3 point shot and the way the game is officiated makes it nearly impossible to dominate with big men like you used to. I wish it wasn't that way but that's how it is these days. If those two guys couldn't do it, how the heck are Bagley and Giles supposed to do it? Odds are they won't both be hall of famers.

Luka would share ball handling duties with Fox the same way Harden and Paul do. It's not like Fox has shown himself to be this fantastic play making PG or anything so taking the ball out of his hands on some plays isn't necessarily a bad thing. I don't expect Doncic to be able to cover 4 positions. He should be able to cover 3's and some 2's and some 4's depending on matchups. He has questions to his game but so does Bagley. Can a team win with a non defending big man? Hasn't happened in quite some time. Can he stay on the court when teams go small or will guys like PJ Tucker and other 3&D stretch 4's be able to stop him on the offensive end and then shoot 3's over him at the other end of the court? Bagley is pointless if he can't completely dominate guys offensively because his defense doesn't project to be all that great.

Analytics say the 3 point shot is the best shot so unless you get some sort of duo that's better than AD and Cousins, you aren't going to be a top tier team. It's not like AD and Cuz were whooping up on everyone other than the Warriors. The 3 point shot and the way the game is officiated makes it nearly impossible to dominate with big men like you used to. I wish it wasn't that way but that's how it is these days. If those two guys couldn't do it, how the heck are Bagley and Giles supposed to do it? Odds are they won't both be hall of famers.

Luka would share ball handling duties with Fox the same way Harden and Paul do. It's not like Fox has shown himself to be this fantastic play making PG or anything so taking the ball out of his hands on some plays isn't necessarily a bad thing. I don't expect Doncic to be able to cover 4 positions. He should be able to cover 3's and some 2's and some 4's depending on matchups. He has questions to his game but so does Bagley. Can a team win with a non defending big man? Hasn't happened in quite some time. Can he stay on the court when teams go small or will guys like PJ Tucker and other 3&D stretch 4's be able to stop him on the offensive end and then shoot 3's over him at the other end of the court? Bagley is pointless if he can't completely dominate guys offensively because his defense doesn't project to be all that great.
That’s the gamble. They are counting on these prospects to develop. The organization thinks Giles and Bagley can be full court terrors on offense and defense and for Fox to be the catalyst of it all. Do I think they can? Not sure. It seems like that’s the plan though.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Well, I don't speak for half the fanbase, but I'm between feeling like it's too early to call and worried.

I was wary of Bagley before the draft, and his rough SL showing didn't do much to assuag my doubts, but I also recognize that he's super young, raw, and a potential pick.

A lot of rookies are gonna look better than Bagley next season. I just hope he shows some flashes.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
the fanbase is very antsy and impatient with their lottery selections, and with good reason. The Kings don't exactly have a positive draft record over the years and a lot of their picks have been underwhelming or busts. Giles and Fox are the two draft picks I think will turn out to be studs but the jury is still out on that until they prove it. With that said, just because Bagley was drafted at number two doesn't mean he will pan out. You can look back and pin point a good handful of draft picks that weren't successful at that slot and there are too many scenarios that play a part. I want Bagley to succeed and be something special but I won't expect franchise player type of potential from him, I just hope he doesn't bust and besides, the Kings will have another shot in the 2020 draft.

To be honest, I would have concerns no matter who we drafted. None of these players are perfect players/prospects. They all have their weaknesses. The questions are:
  1. Can those weaknesses be improved? And if so, how much?
  2. If those weaknesses cannot be improved (or improved much), do they have any chance at success

Ayton - motor, desire to be great, defense
Bagley - defense, shooting consistency
Doncic - athleticism, scoring potential
Jackson - offensive potential, shot mechanics, rebounding
Young - defense, size, athelticism
Bamba - offensive potential, shooting

Again, we would literally have concerns about anyone we drafted. We just have to give it time to see if those concerns are valid.

Good question.
I think the Kings have great guards already.
Giles and Bagley can play together. The Kings are never going to have a winning season with Skal and Willie.
My thing is if you believed in him why take another big. Wing players that can create in pick and roll and play 1-4 won’t be available ever. Imagine the passing with Bogdan, Giles, and Doncic

Kingster

Hall of Famer
As a rookie, he's going to rebound, initiating the fast break, finishing the fast break, play some defense, and make shots in space and off of offensive rebounds. Unlike some others, I don't have concerns on his D. In this game we have today of spreading the floor and 3 point shooting his mobility is going to be very valuable on the defensive end. Sure, he's never going to be Anthony Davis on D, but he's not going to be a lackey either.

The key with his eventual ceiling is just as I said prior to the draft - his shooting. To my mind, shooting is one of the most difficult variables to predict for a player. If you look at Marcus Smart a lot of individuals thought he would eventually become a good shooter in this league. So far, he hasn't. Same thing for Rubio. There are others who improve their shooting quit a bit. Favors started his career making an average of 6.8 points per game, shooting shooting 52%; he's now making an average annual point total of 12.3 points at 60%. Anthony Davis started with an average of 13.5 points per game, a shooting percentage of 52%, and last year made an average of 28 points per game shooting 56% from 2 point land; he started shooting virtually no 3 point shots in his rookie year and went from 22% in his 2nd year to a 34% clip last year. Cousins went from 14 points/game on 44% shooting his rookie year to last year's 25 pts/game and 53% on his 2 point shooting, with an upward trajectory on his 3 point shooting from 17% to 35%. In sum, if you know what Bagley's shooting is going to be like when he's 22 or 23 years old, then you're probably going to know how good he's going to become. But nobody knows that. Hence, we will have to just wait and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.