Discussion of the Ray Rice decision (split )

Eh, we had to protest, even though we knew going in that we weren't going to receive a satisfactory ruling. And there was no question that they were going to uphold their decision, so no surprises there. I do share in the annoyance at the gutless decision to lay in the cut until 'Black Friday', so that they could announce their ruling when nobody was 'looking'.
NFL did the same thing with Ray Rice. Very shady

NFL did the same thing with Ray Rice. Very shady
NFL did not do this, an independent arbitrator who was also a Federal Judge did. And frankly, the arbitrator had the stones to do what the NBA did not, which is make the legally correct although highly unpopular decision.
Here is the ruling:
http://espn.go.com/pdf/2014/1128/141128_rice-summary.pdf

As soon as Rice signs with anybody, there will be a full on media frenzy and at least a week dedicated to how horrible it is to sign him.

This Kings decision would probably be a throwaway story on any day of the week but it certainly won't even get mentioned with everything else going on.

NFL did not do this, an independent arbitrator who was also a Federal Judge did. And frankly, the arbitrator had the stones to do what the NBA did not, which is make the legally correct although highly unpopular decision.
Here is the ruling:
http://espn.go.com/pdf/2014/1128/141128_rice-summary.pdf

As soon as Rice signs with anybody, there will be a full on media frenzy and at least a week dedicated to how horrible it is to sign him.

This Kings decision would probably be a throwaway story on any day of the week but it certainly won't even get mentioned with everything else going on.
With out going off topic too much, there is no such thing as an independent arbitrator. If this guy wants to rule against the commissioner of the NFL AND do business with the NFL in the future, he better throw them a bone. This is the reason for a black Friday release on the Ray Rice deal.

The NBA wants no part of this protest and any precedent that could be set if they start overturning game ending decisions. They wanted it buried and no longer discussed.

With out going off topic too much, there is no such thing as an independent arbitrator. If this guy wants to rule against the commissioner of the NFL AND do business with the NFL in the future, he better throw them a bone. This is the reason for a black Friday release on the Ray Rice deal.

The NBA wants no part of this protest and any precedent that could be set if they start overturning game ending decisions. They wanted it buried and no longer discussed.
Going to go off topic into the NFL.

Small quibble. It was a SHE. And SHE called Goodell a liar in so many words. No, actually, pretty damn clearly. She didn't throw anyone any bones. She brought the integrity of the NFL commissioner into question.

I don't see any reason it should be unpopular. Rice should not have had his suspension increased as there was no cause to do so. The fallout is that Goodell now has publicly been humiliated and called out for flat out lying. Rice told him EXACTLY what happened, Goodell went on TV, and in documents, and said Rice did not tell the truth. Rice did.

"The discipline letter, dated three days after the suspension, states that the heightened sanction was based on the fact that Rice presented a “starkly different sequence of events” than what was captured in the second video."

"Because Rice did not mislead the Commissioner and because there were no new facts on which the Commissioner could base his increased suspension, I find that the imposition of the indefinite suspension was arbitrary."

Basically, in writing, the commish office lied. And SHE very clearly spelled out in detail how. It was something that was clear from day 1 that they were lying. Everyone but Ozzie Newsome and Rice, believe it or not.

Goodell is an example of what a truly awful commish looks like. Just terrible. To be fair Paul Tagliabue pretty much swept a ton of issues under the rug but Goodell has been awful and slow to react and then comes down with unreasonable force when he cracks to public pressure. From Spygate to Ray Rice. And call me naive but I do believe this arbitrator was "independent". This is further humiliation of Goodell.

I think Silver will turn out to be pretty decent. This was a no win case for the NBA, they want to showcase the replay but the replay got it wrong. But changing the result of a game just doesn't happen. Go talk to the guys refusing a silver medal for 40+ years. They will cross their fingers and hope that this doesn't cost the Kings a playoff spot by one game (which would also alter the draft landscape) or have any other genuine repercussions.

Goodell is an example of what a truly awful commish looks like. Just terrible. To be fair Paul Tagliabue pretty much swept a ton of issues under the rug but Goodell has been awful and slow to react and then comes down with unreasonable force when he cracks to public pressure. From Spygate to Ray Rice. And call me naive but I do believe this arbitrator was "independent". This is further humiliation of Goodell.

I think Silver will turn out to be pretty decent. This was a no win case for the NBA, they want to showcase the replay but the replay got it wrong. But changing the result of a game just doesn't happen. Go talk to the guys refusing a silver medal for 40+ years. They will cross their fingers and hope that this doesn't cost the Kings a playoff spot by one game (which would also alter the draft landscape) or have any other genuine repercussions.
I honestly think if the NBA went back and reviewed a lot of game winners, over half of them wouldn't have counted... It sucks, but we can't blame the clock on the reason why we lost. But I think we can blame the refs for saying Hollins didn't tip the ball, because he clearly did for the reason why we lost..... It sounded like the NBA couldn't go back and look at that call because it was ruled that he didn't tip it in the actual game.

Silver has been a decent commish so far. Nothing really major yet. I think Silver's next goals should be getting more talent in the NBA, have more competitive teams, make the NBA DL worth watching(make it like the minor leagues), emphasis WNBA more, reform the lottery, reform the playoffs to let better teams in despite conference, and add a team in Europe.. I know adding a team in Europe is crazy, but it would expand the NBA on a global level.

Going to go off topic into the NFL.

Small quibble. It was a SHE. And SHE called Goodell a liar in so many words. No, actually, pretty damn clearly. She didn't throw anyone any bones. She brought the integrity of the NFL commissioner into question.

I don't see any reason it should be unpopular. Rice should not have had his suspension increased as there was no cause to do so. The fallout is that Goodell now has publicly been humiliated and called out for flat out lying. Rice told him EXACTLY what happened, Goodell went on TV, and in documents, and said Rice did not tell the truth. Rice did.

"The discipline letter, dated three days after the suspension, states that the heightened sanction was based on the fact that Rice presented a “starkly different sequence of events” than what was captured in the second video."

"Because Rice did not mislead the Commissioner and because there were no new facts on which the Commissioner could base his increased suspension, I find that the imposition of the indefinite suspension was arbitrary."

Basically, in writing, the commish office lied. And SHE very clearly spelled out in detail how. It was something that was clear from day 1 that they were lying. Everyone but Ozzie Newsome and Rice, believe it or not.
I agree with everything you said regarding the situation except that the timing of the release was beneficial to the NFL in terms of PR. The decision is harmful to the commissioner, not necessarily unpopular to the masses. SHE said what SHE needed to say and released it on black Friday.

Goodell is the worst. Being a Saints fan, words can not express my dislike of him. I watched him manipulate documentation, press, legal proceedings and destroy careers all to save his own self. He played the game long enough that when the truth came out about the Saints, people had either already made up their minds or didn't care anymore. I wanted this Ray Rice thing to come out on a Monday when nothing else was going on so all the talking heads could spend all week on it. But Goodell slithers by again, and won't have to face the full brunt of this decision.

I agree with everything you said regarding the situation except that the timing of the release was beneficial to the NFL in terms of PR. The decision is harmful to the commissioner, not necessarily unpopular to the masses. SHE said what SHE needed to say and released it on black Friday.
I don't deny that part about the timing is shady. But I doubt it'll all be forgotten by Monday.

You think there was intent by the arbitrator to do that? Perhaps. I don't think any of us really know.

I don't deny that part about the timing is shady. But I doubt it'll all be forgotten by Monday.

You think there was intent by the arbitrator to do that? Perhaps. I don't think any of us really know.
We'll never know her intent on the release time, but it's all too convenient in my mind. The NFL pays the independent arbitrator and ultimately has the choice of selecting the future arbitrators. That's a factor.

I work in an industry where a client pays us to enforce a policy that is not necessarily in the client's favor all the time. While it's our job to make the right decision and the client knows this, how we go about our business determines whether they will renew their contract with us in the future.

Goodell is the worst. Being a Saints fan, words can not express my dislike of him. I watched him manipulate documentation, press, legal proceedings and destroy careers all to save his own self. He played the game long enough that when the truth came out about the Saints, people had either already made up their minds or didn't care anymore. I wanted this Ray Rice thing to come out on a Monday when nothing else was going on so all the talking heads could spend all week on it. But Goodell slithers by again, and won't have to face the full brunt of this decision.
All of that is going to happen the minute someone signs Ray Rice. It will take up a week of news.