Brad Miller interview

From yesterday's sportsline...edited out are a lot of "Brad-isms" :)

First part of the interview: He and Tag stayed back in SA and went hunting. Tag got a buck and Brad a doe. Grant says that he knows someone who knows both of them very well and this person said that he'd be surprised if they come back without one of them getting shot. Grant wants to know if there are a lot of safety precautions when going hunting. Brad says you just got to know your safety and your surroundings.

Grant: In the last 3 seasons, the King have had only one 3 game losing streak...how important is tomorrow's game?

Brad: Its very important, obviously getting back on the right track of, getting a win under our belt, going back home. Last year we went 2-1 on these Texas trips and then 1-2, so we lost at Dallas and San Antonio, came to Houston and got it together. We just got to get that feeling, since it is a new year and in the preseason we only won two games. That was with a lot of people that ain't around now, but we still got to look at it like we didn't win a lot of games and get that feeling back going.

Lam: In your opinion how integral is Doug Christie to what you guys want to get done as a team?

Brad: Well he just makes it so much easier for us out there in terms of a lot of our plays. A lot times we don't have calls, we just come down and ball goes to a certain spot or gets passed to a certain spot and we kind of know what to do, there are a lot of different options that we can just run on our own. With Doug out there he knows every option. I think it just kind of like when Bobby gets out there where it brings us a sixth person to the starting group that really understand how we want to play and everything that we do on offense. Defensively he really steps it up and helps us out tremendously.

Grant: You had a chance to see Yao in China....he does not like coming out form the basket...I think you could be very effective on offense out there ..

Brad: It's something I had great a success all of last season with. The same thing when I was at center with Vlade would do the same thing. When a guy is that big he can't do it all. He can clog the lane with the best of them so you got to take advantage of that. Houston wants to come out aggressive and jump a lot of pick and rolls so, it's something we really have to look to. I, my self have to be ready step up and hit some jump shots when they're there to keep him out of the lane and keep it open for all of the cuts and everything like that.

Lam: That's not something most big guys can do....does it put you at a bad position for O rebounds or is it a trade off...?

Brad: I look at it help them try to draw the big guys, but it does take away from O rebounds. To counter that I always make sure I try to be the first person back every time and slow down the fast break. When shots go back a lot of times I just go right to half court to try to help it out. That's what's I try to do counteract not being able to get in there every play and O rebound.

Grant: A win would go a long way in making the trip salvageable...you don't know this because you travel and aren't listening to the radio, but Kings fans are spoiled now... The team loses two games they go into the panic mode. hey its an 82 game season...what would you say to the fans right now that are all concerned and are getting ready to jump off their roof tops?

Brad: Just got to take it easy. If we lose the last two games of the season they are going to get upset, but there's are lot of times; first two last two middle two. Its not like we haven't lost two in a row at certain time in the season. Its not like we're playing Charlotte, or anywhere that's an easy game by any means. Were looking at two of the best teams in the West on the road, home openers dealing with a lot of other stuff. We know we got things to fix and that's the thing, we're not overconfident in terms of we know we're good but we got to go out there and step up what we haven't been doing well. 82 games is a lot of time to get better. Would you rather be 20-0 to start the season or be finish however many games it takes to win a championship at the end of the year. Its going more important down the road, you know if we can take some lessons from these first two games.

Lam: We spoke to your pick and roll partner Mike Bibby....i'll ask you the same question, when you look at the team, what are the areas you think the team needs to address to make themselves better at this time?

Brad: We just got to help each other on defense and talk is the main thing. We're just giving up way to many easy lay-ups. When Greg's out there it gives us a real presence as a shot blocker, but other than that, I myself am not vertically..,you know, enhanced as most people in the league. So, getting up there, blocking shots, is not my strong point; I'll try it, but a lot of times getting into the hole the guards aren't stepping up or the big guys isn't stepping up or stepping over. If we can get on that, I think we'll realize it'll make everything seem so much easier and better shot selection to not let them get the long rebound..and 3 on 2 situations and thing like that.

The last part was talk about Prudue football

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
Reina, you really are.....

Da Bomb!!

Thank you so much for transcribing and posting all these interviews that many of us have no opportunity to hear.

Good interview by Brad (as was Bibby's). They are talking specifics about things they can do to correct their less than stellar play. Now, just go out and work hard and do it, guys!!!

Thanks for the transcript, Reina!!! :)

Great interview!

I'm glad that Greg and Brad got something during hunting...hehe. :D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Grant said:
...what would you say to the fans right now that are all concerned and are getting ready to jump off their roof tops?
I love Brad's reply:

Brad said:
Just got to take it easy... Its not like we're playing Charlotte, or anywhere that's an easy game by any means. We're looking at two of the best teams in the West on the road, home openers dealing with a lot of other stuff. We know we got things to fix and that's the thing, we're not overconfident in terms of "we know we're good" but we got to go out there and step up what we haven't been doing well. 82 games is a lot of time to get better. ... Its going more important down the road, you know if we can take some lessons from these first two games.
Works for me!

GO KINGS!!!

(And THANKS, Reina!!!)

Brad: "We just got to get that feeling, since it is a new year and in the preseason we only won two games."

And they will get that feeling on Tuesday..... I am sure of it!