All-Purpose MLB Thread! (2019-2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Giants in a no-lose situation here. If we lose to the Dodgers (Oh well, they bought everybody). If we beat them... honestly can't imagine how sweet those Dodger fans tears will taste.
Farhan’s playing 4D chess. His overachieving team of old men and scrapheap pickups is causing the Dodgers and Padres to sell out, allowing the team of tomorrow with Bart/Ramos/Luciano to own the division without competition!

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Wow, when the Cubs do a fire sale they really go for it. I've pretty much lost interest in MLB this year until this Oakland ballpark situation gets resolved but I'm happy to see that Manaea has been throwing fire lately. I love that dude. I'm going to miss him when he gets traded in the off-season.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
If the Giants can work an extension this trade will have HEAVY Hunter Pence energy.

I’ve run the gamut of emotions from content (with nothing) to pissed (Bart and LaMonte) to thrilled (9 & 30) in the last hour.

The Giants also brought back Tony Watson. He’s having a bad season but was reliable the last three years. Nothing on the price yet.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Wow, when the Cubs do a fire sale they really go for it. I've pretty much lost interest in MLB this year until this Oakland ballpark situation gets resolved but I'm happy to see that Manaea has been throwing fire lately. I love that dude. I'm going to miss him when he gets traded in the off-season.
My facebook is littered with sad cubs fans today. The roller coaster worst to first to worst rides teams take these days is something else. Both the Sox and Giants are in first and I am completely uninvested right now until the playoffs start.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Astros salt is as hilarious to me as Patriot salt.

And LOL the Giants fanbase who universally adore Barry Lamar Bonds chanting “You’re a cheater” at Altuve. They deserved the grand slam he followed with. Get off your ______ing soapboxes.

hrdboild

Staff member
Astros salt is as hilarious to me as Patriot salt.

And LOL the Giants fanbase who universally adore Barry Lamar Bonds chanting “You’re a cheater” at Altuve. They deserved the grand slam he followed with. Get off your ______ing soapboxes.
I've double-checked and it is objectively okay to still boo the Houston Astros. Especially Altuve. Also, their bullpen this year has been so bad that they just traded for two other team's closers. You can beat these guys in the last couple innings, you just have to believe!

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I've double-checked and it is objectively okay to still boo the Houston Astros. Especially Altuve. Also, their bullpen this year has been so bad that they just traded for two other team's closers. You can beat these guys in the last couple innings, you just have to believe!
Booing’s fine.

An entire stadium chanting “YOURE A CHEATER” as he uncorks a grand slam with Barry Bonds watching in the suites is so deliciously ironic.

hrdboild

Staff member
Booing’s fine.

An entire stadium chanting “YOURE A CHEATER” as he uncorks a grand slam with Barry Bonds watching in the suites is so deliciously ironic.
Barry Bonds didn't invent a new way to cheat, the whole culture of MLB and really sports in general at that time revolved around steroids. MLB turning on its best players and making them skapegoats wasn't evidence of a corrupt system trying to clean itself up it was the corrupt system protecting itself by sacrificing the lowest people on the totem pole... the athletes. Just like how the US Olympic organization had no problems with runners taking steroids to win gold medals for decades until people starting getting caught and then they acted like they had no knowledge of any of it and wouldn't you know it those selfish athletes all hoodwinked us. Total BS.

Here's the difference to me. Bonds was one of hundreds of players who took steroids in the 90s /2000s and he was pretty late to the party, he just was a better hitter than the rest. Houston was the first to install spy cameras all over the field and tell their hitters which pitch was coming. And they were well on their way to infecting the rest of MLB with their sign stealing strategy. Alex Cora brought it to Boston and they won a WS. Carlos Beltran would have brought it to the Mets. AJ Hinch would have brought it to the Tigers. In less than a decade half the league would be doing it if there were no consequences. And none of these people actually got punished. They still have their records and money and trophies. So if the fans want to chant cheaters at proven cheaters, what of it? I'll let it go if they ever actually apologize for it. And no I don't think Barry Bonds is even remotely in the same conversation.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I liked Bonds and the whole thing makes me sad but I also think performance enhancers were always around and will always be around and it’s a matter of science outperforming the tests. I’d prefer it all just be open and go down in medical journals rather than secret labs. So much of what we actually know about these drugs is vaulted away.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
What a game!

The Giants standing chest-to-chest with the best teams in baseball without flinching. And they have a Kris Bryant and Evan Longoria and Brandon Belt imminent.

hrdboild

Staff member
Khris Davis is back with the A's on a minor league contract! The lack of productive lefty hitters in the organization is becoming a real problem (all hopes are on you 19 yr old Tyler Soderstrom) but having KD waiting in the wings now for a likely September call-up is encouraging from a morale point of view. Also the new guys are all raking and Starling Castro has been swiping bases like a prime Rickey Henderson so its good vibes all around. According to my calendar it is now the month of August so it's time for the A's to do their usual late season surge and win 70% of their games for the next 6 weeks. Right guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.